Re: [wpmac] conversions

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
      Oh, a weekend of experimentation. Just what I like! I'll let you know
      what happens
      --
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2013
        OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
        and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
        August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
        Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
        across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
        convert from WPWin X5 to Word. (If you Save As ... Word 6, 7, 8 in
        WPMac, the formatting is wrecked).
        Verdict: for those using WPMac but who are forced by publishers to
        submit in Word, then WPWin under Parallels offers no advantages and load
        up time is just a delay you can live without. Clearly, if you have WPWin
        files, there is an immense advantage to retaining WPWin via Parallels,
        but otherwiseWPMac seems to offer everything you might ever need as an
        academic (although, trying to find a font in ShSh Classic that does
        eastern european diacritical letters is less straightforward than under
        OSX, so now to explore the latest thread on using OSX fonts).
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        Head of the School of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
        > 16 August 2013 07:05
        > Oh, a weekend of experimentation. Just what I like! I'll let you know
        > what happens

      • Paul Cowan
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
          On 17 August 2013 at 10:45 AM, Geoff Gilbert <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:

          OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,

          and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5

          August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the

          Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came

          across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you

          convert from WPWin X5 to Word.

          Be interesting to know what the file sizes were. I remember that Word files saved with the WP converter were a bit on the huge size...

          P. (^_^)

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
            Original WPMac file - 125kb
            Resulting Word File - 237kb
            That's a lot of middle-aged spread
            --
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law
            Head of the School of Law
            School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            University of Essex
            Wivenhoe Park
            Colchester
            CO4 3SQ

            Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            essex.ac.uk)

            > Paul Cowan <mailto:officewallah@...>
            > 19 August 2013 14:53
            > On 17 August 2013 at 10:45 AM, Geoff Gilbert
            > <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
            >
            > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
            >
            > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
            >
            > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
            >
            > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
            >
            > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
            >
            > convert from WPWin X5 to Word.
            >

            > Be interesting to know what the file sizes were. I remember that Word
            > files saved with the WP converter were a bit on the huge size...
            >

            > P. (^_^)

            > .
            >
            > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
            > 17 August 2013 15:44
            > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
            > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
            > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
            > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
            > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
            > convert from WPWin X5 to Word. (If you Save As ... Word 6, 7, 8 in
            > WPMac, the formatting is wrecked).
            > Verdict: for those using WPMac but who are forced by publishers to
            > submit in Word, then WPWin under Parallels offers no advantages and load
            > up time is just a delay you can live without. Clearly, if you have WPWin
            > files, there is an immense advantage to retaining WPWin via Parallels,
            > but otherwiseWPMac seems to offer everything you might ever need as an
            > academic (although, trying to find a font in ShSh Classic that does
            > eastern european diacritical letters is less straightforward than under
            > OSX, so now to explore the latest thread on using OSX fonts).
            > Geoff

          • Paul Cowan
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
              On 19 August 2013 at 5:26 PM, Geoff Gilbert <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
              Original WPMac file - 125kb
              Resulting Word File - 237kb
              That's a lot of middle-aged spread
              Thanks for checking. Inflation factor used to be way bigger 'n that. As in, a megabyte or two…

              cheers,

              P. (^_^)

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                What happens when you open it in Word 5.x or whatever in SheepShaver and then open again in Word in OS X? (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)

                > Original WPMac file - 125kb
                > Resulting Word File - 237kb
                > That's a lot of middle-aged spread
                > --
                > Geoff Gilbert
                > Professor of Law
                > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
                > Head of the School of Law
                > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                > University of Essex
                > Wivenhoe Park
                > Colchester
                > CO4 3SQ
                >
                > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
                > essex.ac.uk)
                >

                > > Paul Cowan <mailto:officewallah@...>
                > > 19 August 2013 14:53
                > > On 17 August 2013 at 10:45 AM, Geoff Gilbert
                > > <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
                > >
                > > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
                > >
                > > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
                > >
                > > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
                > >
                > > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
                > >
                > > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
                > >
                > > convert from WPWin X5 to Word.
                > >

                > > Be interesting to know what the file sizes were. I remember that Word
                > > files saved with the WP converter were a bit on the huge size...
                > >

                > > P. (^_^)

                > > .
                > >
                > > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
                > > 17 August 2013 15:44
                > > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
                > > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
                > > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
                > > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
                > > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
                > > convert from WPWin X5 to Word. (If you Save As ... Word 6, 7, 8 in
                > > WPMac, the formatting is wrecked).
                > > Verdict: for those using WPMac but who are forced by publishers to
                > > submit in Word, then WPWin under Parallels offers no advantages and load
                > > up time is just a delay you can live without. Clearly, if you have WPWin
                > > files, there is an immense advantage to retaining WPWin via Parallels,
                > > but otherwiseWPMac seems to offer everything you might ever need as an
                > > academic (although, trying to find a font in ShSh Classic that does
                > > eastern european diacritical letters is less straightforward than under
                > > OSX, so now to explore the latest thread on using OSX fonts).
                > > Geoff

              • Paul Cowan
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                  (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)

                  I know, but it's a question of elegance. It used to be that opening a WordPerfect file in OpenOffice, translating it, then opening the resulting file in WordPerfect, produced a much more idiomatic (and smaller) WordPerfect file than if you'd used the built-in converters. Maybe it's so to this day… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

                  cheers,

                  P. (^_^)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                    I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
                    sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
                    No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
                    either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
                    coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                      When a WP file is converted to Word, by any method, each paragraph of the file gets formatted separately, with a lot of formatting data necessarily added to the file. There are perfectly good technical reasons for this, and it has nothing to do with Word being better or worse; only that it uses a different underlying model.

                      But we can agree that the size difference has absolutely no practical significance.

                      > I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
                      > sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
                      > No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
                      > either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
                      > coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.
                      > --
                      > Geoff Gilbert
                      > Professor of Law
                      > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
                      > Head of the School of Law
                      > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                      > University of Essex
                      > Wivenhoe Park
                      > Colchester
                      > CO4 3SQ
                      >
                      > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                      > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                      > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
                      > essex.ac.uk)
                      >

                      > > em315 <mailto:em315@...>
                      > > 20 August 2013 01:48
                      > > What happens when you open it in Word 5.x or whatever in SheepShaver
                      > > and then open again in Word in OS X? (And does the file size make any
                      > > practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one
                      > > is sending these files on floppies.)

                      > > .
                      > >
                      > > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
                      > > 19 August 2013 19:02
                      > > Original WPMac file - 125kb
                      > > Resulting Word File - 237kb
                      > > That's a lot of middle-aged spread

                    • Gilbert, Geoff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                        Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
                        Geoff

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                          You can search the web for very clear explanations, including one in
                          this long-ago article from PC Magazine
                          <http://books.google.com/books?id=yXP6iwM_W-kC&pg=PT98&dq=%22twice+about\
                          +your+choice+of+a+word+processor%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4WsTUvChOMTQyAGjmIHgBQ\
                          &ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22twice%20about%20your%20choice%20of%20a%2\
                          0word%20processor%22&f=false> . The details are on pp. 98-99.
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoff" wrote:

                          > Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the
                          fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always
                          found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
                          > Geoff

                        • John Kaufmann
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
                            In a message dated 2013-0819 22:18 -0500, Paul Cowan wrote:

                            >> (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)
                            >
                            > ... it's a question of elegance. ..… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

                            Good that you care. Inelegance has functional costs, and the costs compound with
                            time and generations.