Special keys for SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2013
      Recent builds of SheepShaver (the one I use in the WPMacApp) include support for two "hotkeys":

      Ctrl-F5 "captures" the mouse in the SheepShaver window (press Cttl-F5 to release the mouse again so that it can go back to the OS X desktop.

      Ctrl-Return: switches SheepShaver to full-screen mode, which isn't quite satisfactory, because the windowed is scaled up and looks a bit fuzzy, but it can be useful to avoid distraction. Press Ctrl-Return to toggle back to windowed mode.

      Now, Ctrl-Return is used by WPMac itself for outlining, so that built-in keystroke gets in the way. I've finally learned how to make a custom build of SheepShaver, and I've been able to change those keystrokes to Ctrl-Option-F5 and Ctrl-Option-Return.

      Question: do these conflict with WPMac or anything else? Should I use different keystrokes instead?

      Also, I've finally figured out how to open a help page from the SheepShaver menu - just an HTML file that opens in the browser. (I haven't been able to make standard Apple Help work, which has been very frustrating.) Someday I'll take the trouble to put something useful on that page.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
        In a recent OS version, Apple took Control-Tab for its own use. WP Enhanced Outlining had used it for Outline Tab, along with Control-Return for Outline Return and Control-Shift-Tab for Outline Back Tab. To keep the outlining keystrokes consistent and structured, I released Outlining Keystrokes 2.0 back in May that had macros to which the user could assign any keystrokes for these three commands, with recommended assignments being Option-Return, Option-Tab and Option-Shift-Tab.

        Option-Tab conflicts with the LiteSwitch control panel's keystroke for application switching, so I don't include it with the SheepShaver-WP install. Instead, I use the ApplWindows control panel's keystrokes of Control-Arrow Keys to switch among open applications and windows.

        I can't think of other assignments for Ctrl-Option-F5 and Ctrl-Option-Return.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
          Hmm... I see your point about LiteSwitch. I should probably disable it in the WPMacApp and turn on ApplWindows instead.

          One question: I can't use Ctrl-arrows to switch among applications in SheepShaver because OS X uses them by default to switch among desktops (I think). Is there any reason NOT to set up ApplWindows to use Ctrl-Option-arrows? Would that conflict with anything in WP?

          Incidentally, I've now finally figured out how to add a Help menu to SheepShaver's top-line menu (in addition to the solitary Window menu), and it should now be possible to build help into SheepShaver and (maybe) make it easier to get started. I've posted a build of SheepShaver with a help menu in the forums at emaculation.com. It's been quite an education in Xcode, which I had never used before.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
            OK, a very unscientific test, but ctrl-arrow works as a way of moving
            between programmes in John's Sheepshaver set up; ctrl-up and down moved
            between windows in a programme. Don't know if that is expected. I am on
            OS X 10.8.4
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law
            Head of the School of Law
            School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            University of Essex
            Wivenhoe Park
            Colchester
            CO4 3SQ

            Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            essex.ac.uk)

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
              You have presumably turned off the keystrokes for Mission Control in the Keyboard panel of the OS X System Preferences application. The defaults use the Ctrl-arrow keys to move between desktops or between the main desktop and the Dashboard. As you can see here (screen shot taken after I clicked the Restore Defaults button), Ctrl and all four arrow keys are taken by default by OS X:

              http://i.imgur.com/0R4afui.png

              So a default OS X 10.8 setup will use those keys for itself, so they shouldn't be used by default in SheepShaver, I would think. As I know from maintaining a website devoted to WPDOS, it's impractical to expect users to change settings from the defaults.

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
                Bother, you are right. I could never understand what the attraction of
                Mission Control was and now it seems even less useful.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
                  ApplWindows lets you choose any combination of Command, Option and Control plus an arrow key. Control-Option-arrows don't conflict with anything I can think of in WP.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
                    Exactly as expected. SheepShaver-WP ships with ctrl-arrow keys activated, but any combination of command, option and control can be set in the control panel. Left and right arrows switch among applications and up and down cycle windows within one application.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
                      That's very impressive, to have learned how to build SS.

                      It's a tremendous app in any case, as we here in the WP group would be in a position to say, and it keeps getting better.

                      Do any recent builds allow the Mac to sleep automatically when SS is running? That would be a big help. I don't know anything about it, but suspect that that fix would be elsewhere in development than making a build.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 14, 2013
                        Which reminds me of the (hopefully) only mistake I made in SheepShaver-WP_1.5, that the Application Menu at the far right of the menu bar only shows icons. It's easy enough to drag the separator to the left an inch, so you can now see the names of the apps you're switching to, either with ApplWindows' keystrokes or with the mouse directly on the menu.