[ANN] WPLO Converter updated and revised

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4, 2013
      I've updated the WPLO Converter that converts WP files into modern formats (and converts DOCX, DOC, etc. files into WP formats). It now uses the internals from LibreOffice 4.1.

      One improvement is that, when converting from DOCX format to WP format (NB: from DOCX into WordPerfect, not the other way round, it now correctly converts quotation marks, etc., so the three WP macros for correcting the problem by making changes inside WP are no longer needed.

      Another is that I've added the ability to export to DOCX format instead of the default DOC output.

      I just made the revisions today, and it's possible that this version has some glitches, so please keep your older version stored away somewhere in case the new one doesn't work correctly.

      Download link:

      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
        Dear All
        How good is the conversion filter from WPMac to WPWin for technical
        academic files (eg. footnotes). I currently go WPMac - Word Mac and then
        fix manually, but WPWin to Word is very good, so WPMac-WPWin-Word may be
        a better route.
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        Head of the School of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
          Geoff,

          Have you tried it? You evidently have both WPMac and WPWin. Surely you can tell us whether this combination meets your needs.

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
            Ed
            I have, but I am interested to know if the new WPLO converter (sorry,
            not installed as yet) has more capabilities than the previous one from
            LibreOffice. If there have been no improvements "under the hood", then
            the time taken to fire up Parallels and WPWin is probably better spent
            manually fixing a direct WPMac to Word "Save As ...".
            Geoff (off to install new WPLO Converter)

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
              For what it's worth, the WPMacApp has an AppleScript that uses the WPLO Converter to convert a WPMac file into Word format. The version of the WPMacApp that I posted today fixes an error that caused the AppleScript to fail if there was a space in the WPMac document filename.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 15, 2013
                Oh, a weekend of experimentation. Just what I like! I'll let you know
                what happens

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 17, 2013
                  OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
                  and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
                  August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
                  Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
                  across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
                  convert from WPWin X5 to Word. (If you Save As ... Word 6, 7, 8 in
                  WPMac, the formatting is wrecked).
                  Verdict: for those using WPMac but who are forced by publishers to
                  submit in Word, then WPWin under Parallels offers no advantages and load
                  up time is just a delay you can live without. Clearly, if you have WPWin
                  files, there is an immense advantage to retaining WPWin via Parallels,
                  but otherwiseWPMac seems to offer everything you might ever need as an
                  academic (although, trying to find a font in ShSh Classic that does
                  eastern european diacritical letters is less straightforward than under
                  OSX, so now to explore the latest thread on using OSX fonts).
                  Geoff Gilbert
                  Professor of Law
                  Head of the School of Law
                  School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                  University of Essex
                  Wivenhoe Park
                  Colchester
                  CO4 3SQ

                  Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                  Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                  essex.ac.uk)

                  > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
                  > 16 August 2013 07:05
                  > Oh, a weekend of experimentation. Just what I like! I'll let you know
                  > what happens

                • Paul Cowan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                    On 17 August 2013 at 10:45 AM, Geoff Gilbert <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:

                    OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,

                    and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5

                    August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the

                    Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came

                    across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you

                    convert from WPWin X5 to Word.

                    Be interesting to know what the file sizes were. I remember that Word files saved with the WP converter were a bit on the huge size...

                    P. (^_^)

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                      Original WPMac file - 125kb
                      Resulting Word File - 237kb
                      That's a lot of middle-aged spread
                      --
                      Geoff Gilbert
                      Professor of Law
                      Head of the School of Law
                      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                      University of Essex
                      Wivenhoe Park
                      Colchester
                      CO4 3SQ

                      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                      essex.ac.uk)

                      > Paul Cowan <mailto:officewallah@...>
                      > 19 August 2013 14:53
                      > On 17 August 2013 at 10:45 AM, Geoff Gilbert
                      > <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
                      >
                      > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
                      >
                      > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
                      >
                      > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
                      >
                      > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
                      >
                      > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
                      >
                      > convert from WPWin X5 to Word.
                      >

                      > Be interesting to know what the file sizes were. I remember that Word
                      > files saved with the WP converter were a bit on the huge size...
                      >

                      > P. (^_^)

                      > .
                      >
                      > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
                      > 17 August 2013 15:44
                      > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
                      > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
                      > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
                      > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
                      > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
                      > convert from WPWin X5 to Word. (If you Save As ... Word 6, 7, 8 in
                      > WPMac, the formatting is wrecked).
                      > Verdict: for those using WPMac but who are forced by publishers to
                      > submit in Word, then WPWin under Parallels offers no advantages and load
                      > up time is just a delay you can live without. Clearly, if you have WPWin
                      > files, there is an immense advantage to retaining WPWin via Parallels,
                      > but otherwiseWPMac seems to offer everything you might ever need as an
                      > academic (although, trying to find a font in ShSh Classic that does
                      > eastern european diacritical letters is less straightforward than under
                      > OSX, so now to explore the latest thread on using OSX fonts).
                      > Geoff

                    • Paul Cowan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                        On 19 August 2013 at 5:26 PM, Geoff Gilbert <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
                        Original WPMac file - 125kb
                        Resulting Word File - 237kb
                        That's a lot of middle-aged spread
                        Thanks for checking. Inflation factor used to be way bigger 'n that. As in, a megabyte or two…

                        cheers,

                        P. (^_^)

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                          What happens when you open it in Word 5.x or whatever in SheepShaver and then open again in Word in OS X? (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)

                          > Original WPMac file - 125kb
                          > Resulting Word File - 237kb
                          > That's a lot of middle-aged spread
                          > --
                          > Geoff Gilbert
                          > Professor of Law
                          > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
                          > Head of the School of Law
                          > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                          > University of Essex
                          > Wivenhoe Park
                          > Colchester
                          > CO4 3SQ
                          >
                          > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                          > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                          > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
                          > essex.ac.uk)
                          >

                          > > Paul Cowan <mailto:officewallah@...>
                          > > 19 August 2013 14:53
                          > > On 17 August 2013 at 10:45 AM, Geoff Gilbert
                          > > <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
                          > >
                          > > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
                          > >
                          > > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
                          > >
                          > > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
                          > >
                          > > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
                          > >
                          > > convert from WPWin X5 to Word.
                          > >

                          > > Be interesting to know what the file sizes were. I remember that Word
                          > > files saved with the WP converter were a bit on the huge size...
                          > >

                          > > P. (^_^)

                          > > .
                          > >
                          > > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
                          > > 17 August 2013 15:44
                          > > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
                          > > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
                          > > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
                          > > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
                          > > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
                          > > convert from WPWin X5 to Word. (If you Save As ... Word 6, 7, 8 in
                          > > WPMac, the formatting is wrecked).
                          > > Verdict: for those using WPMac but who are forced by publishers to
                          > > submit in Word, then WPWin under Parallels offers no advantages and load
                          > > up time is just a delay you can live without. Clearly, if you have WPWin
                          > > files, there is an immense advantage to retaining WPWin via Parallels,
                          > > but otherwiseWPMac seems to offer everything you might ever need as an
                          > > academic (although, trying to find a font in ShSh Classic that does
                          > > eastern european diacritical letters is less straightforward than under
                          > > OSX, so now to explore the latest thread on using OSX fonts).
                          > > Geoff

                        • Paul Cowan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                            (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)

                            I know, but it's a question of elegance. It used to be that opening a WordPerfect file in OpenOffice, translating it, then opening the resulting file in WordPerfect, produced a much more idiomatic (and smaller) WordPerfect file than if you'd used the built-in converters. Maybe it's so to this day… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

                            cheers,

                            P. (^_^)

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
                              I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
                              sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
                              No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
                              either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
                              coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                                When a WP file is converted to Word, by any method, each paragraph of the file gets formatted separately, with a lot of formatting data necessarily added to the file. There are perfectly good technical reasons for this, and it has nothing to do with Word being better or worse; only that it uses a different underlying model.

                                But we can agree that the size difference has absolutely no practical significance.

                                > I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
                                > sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
                                > No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
                                > either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
                                > coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.
                                > --
                                > Geoff Gilbert
                                > Professor of Law
                                > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
                                > Head of the School of Law
                                > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                                > University of Essex
                                > Wivenhoe Park
                                > Colchester
                                > CO4 3SQ
                                >
                                > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                                > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                                > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
                                > essex.ac.uk)
                                >

                                > > em315 <mailto:em315@...>
                                > > 20 August 2013 01:48
                                > > What happens when you open it in Word 5.x or whatever in SheepShaver
                                > > and then open again in Word in OS X? (And does the file size make any
                                > > practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one
                                > > is sending these files on floppies.)

                                > > .
                                > >
                                > > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
                                > > 19 August 2013 19:02
                                > > Original WPMac file - 125kb
                                > > Resulting Word File - 237kb
                                > > That's a lot of middle-aged spread

                              • Gilbert, Geoff
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                                  Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
                                  Geoff

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                                    You can search the web for very clear explanations, including one in
                                    this long-ago article from PC Magazine
                                    <http://books.google.com/books?id=yXP6iwM_W-kC&pg=PT98&dq=%22twice+about\
                                    +your+choice+of+a+word+processor%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4WsTUvChOMTQyAGjmIHgBQ\
                                    &ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22twice%20about%20your%20choice%20of%20a%2\
                                    0word%20processor%22&f=false> . The details are on pp. 98-99.
                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoff" wrote:

                                    > Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the
                                    fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always
                                    found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
                                    > Geoff

                                  • John Kaufmann
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
                                      In a message dated 2013-0819 22:18 -0500, Paul Cowan wrote:

                                      >> (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)
                                      >
                                      > ... it's a question of elegance. ..… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

                                      Good that you care. Inelegance has functional costs, and the costs compound with
                                      time and generations.