Re: [wpmac] WordPerfect backwards compatibility

    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 27, 2013
      Don't even think about converting the files. Just use WPX5 in VMware Fusion, just as you did before!

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Lea Tassie <ibltassie@...> wrote:

      > Thank you! THAT is what I wanted to know! I'd prefer to use Mac programs on a Mac machine, but from what you say that won't be feasible. I have something like 46 Megs of WordPerfect files, most in WPWin X5. If I can't convert them easily to WPMac3.5, then I'll go the other route, with VMware or Parallels and Windows 7 and WPWin X6. I like computers (when they work, and my pc currently is throwing tantrums, which is why I'm pretty sure that my next move is to Apple) but basically, I'm a writer. I'd rather be writing than struggling with recalcitrant software. And why I'm trying to do my research and learn enough to make the right decisions about software.
      >
      > I've been using pcs for 25 years and am comfortable with how they work. But, with a desktop and a laptop both having tantrums and costing way too much to repair, and now that I know I can use WordPerfect, I'm ready to move to Apple. I just hope the learning curve isn't going to be very steep.
      >
      > Irene
      >

      > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM, em315 <em315@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Absolutely correct. WP for Mac tends to crash when trying to import modern WPWin files that have anything more than the simplest possible formatting. And even if WPMac does import the file without crashing (after a very slow process of converting the file), it tends to distort the original formatting. It's completely unsuitable for this purpose.

    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
        Then would it be too much to ask that extended discussions (20+ messages and counting) be taken to an appropriate Windows-oriented discussion forum? I don't mind occasional inquiries, but when we start having detailed comparisons of the nuances of Windows emulation products, it seems reasonable that it's off-topic. Those who have previously strayed afield of the topic of this list (Word queries, UNIX queries, etc.) have been gently nudged toward a more appropriate forum before. There is probably a WordPerfect for Windows forum, and perhaps a forum devoted to Windows emulation on Macs that would be more on-topic.

        On Jul 27, 2013, at 12:06 PM, em315 wrote:

        > Absolutely correct. WP for Mac tends to crash when trying to import modern WPWin files that have anything more than the simplest possible formatting. And even if WPMac does import the file without crashing (after a very slow process of converting the file), it tends to distort the original formatting. It's completely unsuitable for this purpose.
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chris Harshman <harshman@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > WP for Mac (v3.5, circa the late 90s) is *not* fully compatible with WP for Windows files (likewise, WP for Next and WP for the Apple IIgs... I've used em all). The OP wanted a WP solution that would work well with modern WP files, which WP for Mac will not do ( not even the relatively simple but still rigidly formatted WPD forms put out by the Central District of California)...)
        > >
        > > On Friday, July 26, 2013, Rick Albright wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > I find it more than a little ironic that, on this list that is devoted to WordPerfect for the Mac (which is a superb product), I have just read some 18 messages all recommending running WordPerfect for Windows under various software products. [....]

        Rick Albright
        logres@...

        http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
      • Chris Harshman
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
          The discussion is about running WordPerfect (albeit for Windows) on a Mac, ergo, seems to me, it's on topic: "A resource for users of WordPerfect for the Macintosh *and supporting technologies*, including OSX Classic, AppleScript, and emulators including SheepShaver and Basilisk, which *run WordPerfect on Intel Macs* and on the Leopard OS (10.5) and later. ... Our discussion forum addresses *all aspects of WordPerfect* at all levels ..."

          I read that as "I have a Mac, I want to use my Mac, but I also have a need to use WordPerfect ..." Which this group is uniquely qualified to address. Windows emulation forums generally won't have the WordPerfect/Mac expertise, WordPerfect groups won't as a general rule have any Mac insight... If John wants this discussion taken elsewhere I'm sure he'll opine. Else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k =)

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
            While debate is certainly not unwelcome, I think we've generally tried to avoid snarkiness as a general rule.

            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
              Message #7893 already points to the appropriate forum for questions about WordPerfect itself (http://wpuniverse.com) but surely this is the appropriate forum - and in fact the only forum with the requisite expertise - for asking about any version of WordPerfect being used on a Macintosh computer.

              > Then would it be too much to ask that extended discussions (20+ messages and counting) be taken to an appropriate Windows-oriented discussion forum?
            • James Voelzow
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 29, 2013
                FWIW--I use WPMac App and WP Mac 3.5 (and Boot Camp for any unusual PC needs), but I still find the discussions re different options/applications for utilizing WP Mac interesting and informative. Seems on topic to me.

                Just my 2ยข

                Jim