Re: [wpmac] WordPerfect backwards compatibility

  • Lea Tassie
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
      Thanks, Chris. I rather thought WP would work backward, because the program
      is so good in other ways. I started using it with 5.1. But I wanted to be
      sure, in case I went the route of downloading the old version.

      However, if you found it easy and fast to use WordPerfect X6 under Windows
      XP under VMware, then surely I should have the same results using
      WordPerfect X6 under Windows 7 under VMware.
      Irene

      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
        Thanks for that correction Chris.

        Joe
      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
          I find it more than a little ironic that, on this list that is devoted to WordPerfect for the Mac (which is a superb product), I have just read some 18 messages all recommending running WordPerfect for Windows under various software products.

          The user who asked for advice is a Mac user. Why has no one recommended WP for the Mac, which, for those of us who have been on this list for awhile, is a superior product and gives the user an actual Mac experience? Not only that, but WP for the Mac is vastly more powerful than the Windows version, due to its unparalleled (pun intended) macro language and the array of amazingly useful macros developed by John Rethorst and others. (And there are translators available that will convert WPWin files to WPMac format.) Many features in the Mac version (did I mention that it's free?) have no comparable feature on the Windows side. Quite simply, there is much that you can do on the Mac version that you can't even begin to do on the Windows version.

          Don't be put off by the fact that WP for the Mac is old. It is amazingly extensible—far more so than the Windows version—and is hands down a superior product.

          Rick Albright

          Rick Albright
          logres@...

          http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
        • Lea Tassie
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
            Rick, thanks for that information. I've added it to my notes to help making
            final decisions.
            Irene
          • Chris Harshman
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
              WP for Mac (v3.5, circa the late 90s) is *not* fully compatible with WP for Windows files (likewise, WP for Next and WP for the Apple IIgs... I've used em all). The OP wanted a WP solution that would work well with modern WP files, which WP for Mac will not do ( not even the relatively simple but still rigidly formatted WPD forms put out by the Central District of California)...)

              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 27, 2013
                Absolutely correct. WP for Mac tends to crash when trying to import modern WPWin files that have anything more than the simplest possible formatting. And even if WPMac does import the file without crashing (after a very slow process of converting the file), it tends to distort the original formatting. It's completely unsuitable for this purpose.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 27, 2013
                  Thank you! THAT is what I wanted to know! I'd prefer to use Mac programs on a Mac machine, but from what you say that won't be feasible. I have something like 46 Megs of WordPerfect files, most in WPWin X5. If I can't convert them easily to WPMac3.5, then I'll go the other route, with VMware or Parallels and Windows 7 and WPWin X6. I like computers (when they work, and my pc currently is throwing tantrums, which is why I'm pretty sure that my next move is to Apple) but basically, I'm a writer. I'd rather be writing than struggling with recalcitrant software. And why I'm trying to do my research and learn enough to make the right decisions about software.

                  I've been using pcs for 25 years and am comfortable with how they work. But, with a desktop and a laptop both having tantrums and costing way too much to repair, and now that I know I can use WordPerfect, I'm ready to move to Apple. I just hope the learning curve isn't going to be very steep.

                  Irene

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 27, 2013
                    Don't even think about converting the files. Just use WPX5 in VMware Fusion, just as you did before!

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                      Then would it be too much to ask that extended discussions (20+ messages and counting) be taken to an appropriate Windows-oriented discussion forum? I don't mind occasional inquiries, but when we start having detailed comparisons of the nuances of Windows emulation products, it seems reasonable that it's off-topic. Those who have previously strayed afield of the topic of this list (Word queries, UNIX queries, etc.) have been gently nudged toward a more appropriate forum before. There is probably a WordPerfect for Windows forum, and perhaps a forum devoted to Windows emulation on Macs that would be more on-topic.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                        The discussion is about running WordPerfect (albeit for Windows) on a Mac, ergo, seems to me, it's on topic: "A resource for users of WordPerfect for the Macintosh *and supporting technologies*, including OSX Classic, AppleScript, and emulators including SheepShaver and Basilisk, which *run WordPerfect on Intel Macs* and on the Leopard OS (10.5) and later. ... Our discussion forum addresses *all aspects of WordPerfect* at all levels ..."

                        I read that as "I have a Mac, I want to use my Mac, but I also have a need to use WordPerfect ..." Which this group is uniquely qualified to address. Windows emulation forums generally won't have the WordPerfect/Mac expertise, WordPerfect groups won't as a general rule have any Mac insight... If John wants this discussion taken elsewhere I'm sure he'll opine. Else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k =)

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                          While debate is certainly not unwelcome, I think we've generally tried to avoid snarkiness as a general rule.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                            Message #7893 already points to the appropriate forum for questions about WordPerfect itself (http://wpuniverse.com) but surely this is the appropriate forum - and in fact the only forum with the requisite expertise - for asking about any version of WordPerfect being used on a Macintosh computer.

                            > Then would it be too much to ask that extended discussions (20+ messages and counting) be taken to an appropriate Windows-oriented discussion forum?
                          • James Voelzow
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 29, 2013
                              FWIW--I use WPMac App and WP Mac 3.5 (and Boot Camp for any unusual PC needs), but I still find the discussions re different options/applications for utilizing WP Mac interesting and informative. Seems on topic to me.

                              Just my 2¢

                              Jim