Re: [wpmac] Re: WordPerfect backwards compatibility

  • Lea Tassie
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
      Thanks, Richard. If it's a simple matter of installing software, I should
      be okay. I've installed enough of it!

      On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Richard Warshak <rawars@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I am not a tech guy by any measure, but I use VMWare Fusion with Windows
      > XP and found it simple to install, to learn, and to use. Also someone in
      > this group once recommend WPLO, a program that opens WordPerfect files in a
      > Mac. This, too, is easy to use.
      >
      > Richard
      >
      > On Jul 25, 2013, at 2:29 PM, Lea Tassie wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks,Joe. I did look up VM Ware Fusion a couple of days ago, but I'm
      > not
      > > computer-savvy enough to understand how it functions. The computer expert
      > > in London Drugs this morning mentioned Parallels (which he didn't have in
      > > stock) and was rather dismissive about running WP in emulation. So my
      > next
      > > step is to go talk to someone more friendly and ask lots of questions.
      > > There are other London Drug stores here, and also a couple of computer
      > > service centers that sell Apple, though there's no Apple store here.
      > > Irene
      > >
      > > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM, mxytsplyk@...
      > > <mxytsplyk@...>wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > You could also run your Windows WP on your Mac in emulation using
      > > > Parallels
      > > > or VM Ware Fusion. Have you looked into that?
      > > >
      > > > Joe
      > > >

      > > --
      > > *Check out my fiction at
      > > http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/leatassie
      > >
      > > *

      *Check out my fiction at
      http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/leatassie

      *

    • Luiz E. Pellanda
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
        Ops!

        Did you said

        "There are other London Drug stores here, and also a couple of computer
        service centers that sell Apple, though there's no Apple store here." ?

        Here, where? London?

        Salute!

        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
          London Drugs is a chain in western Canada.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Luiz E. Pellanda" <lpellanda@...> wrote:

          > Ops!
          >
          > Did you said
          >
          > "There are other London Drug stores here, and also a couple of computer
          > service centers that sell Apple, though there's no Apple store here." ?
          >
          > Here, where? London?
          >
          > Salute!
          >
          > On 25/07/2013, at 16:29, Lea Tassie <ibltassie@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks,Joe. I did look up VM Ware Fusion a couple of days ago, but I'm not
          > > computer-savvy enough to understand how it functions. The computer expert
          > > in London Drugs this morning mentioned Parallels (which he didn't have in
          > > stock) and was rather dismissive about running WP in emulation. So my next
          > > step is to go talk to someone more friendly and ask lots of questions.
          > > There are other London Drug stores here, and also a couple of computer
          > > service centers that sell Apple, though there's no Apple store here.
          > > Irene
          > >
          > > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM, mxytsplyk@...
          > > <mxytsplyk@...>wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > You could also run your Windows WP on your Mac in emulation using
          > > > Parallels
          > > > or VM Ware Fusion. Have you looked into that?
          > > >
          > > > Joe
          > > >

          > > --
          > > *Check out my fiction at
          > > http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/leatassie
          > >
          > > *

        • Lea Tassie
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
            Not London! Victoria, British Columbia. I'm sure we used to have an Apple
            store, but I guess there wasn't enough business for it to stay open.
            Irene
          • mxytsplyk@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
              I should be more specific: Parallels is a means of booting up your Mac in
              Windows itself, made possible by Apples' switch to Intel type hardware. It
              will be faster than emulation such as VMWare Fusion. You'll need a Windows
              System Disk appropriate to the requirements of WP for Windows.

              Joe
            • Chris Harshman
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
                Incorrect. Boot Camp is the Apple technology for booting your computer into
                Windows.

                Both VMware Fusion and Parallels are virtualization technologies that run
                Windows in a virtualized environment within OS X; VMware and Parallels
                are neck and neck in terms of performance.

                The only emulation environment I am aware of that would have been
                comparable was Virtual PC, which let you use Intel Windows software on
                PowerPC Macintoshes, but Microsoft bought virtual PC years ago and that is
                a dead product.

                On Thursday, July 25, 2013, mxytsplyk@... wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I should be more specific: Parallels is a means of booting up your Mac in
                > Windows itself, made possible by Apples' switch to Intel type hardware. It
                > will be faster than emulation such as VMWare Fusion. You'll need a Windows
                > System Disk appropriate to the requirements of WP for Windows.
                >
                > Joe

                Sent from my  iPhone

              • Lea Tassie
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
                  Thanks again. That makes some of my notes clearer! I do have a Windows 7
                  disk, so I'm sure that will suffice.
                  Irene

                  --
                  *Check out my fiction at
                  http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/leatassie

                  *

                • Lynn McAlister
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
                    I'm using Parallels and happy with it so far. I've had to order a new copy of WP though, so not sure yet how that will work.

                    Lynn
                  • Matt Lewandowsky
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
                      In fact, Virtual PC was the forerunner to VirtualBox, VMWare, Parallels, et al. on the Mac. I believe that much of the reason Microsoft didn't bother rewriting it for Intel Macs was just the sheer amount of competition; with some of it free (like Virtualbox) and others lower-cost, there was no real value proposition in those engineering hours. (Fun trivia fact: modern Windows Hyper-V is of the same heritage as the old Mac Connectix Virtual PC!)

                      To be honest, you have many choices: possibly too many. If you want to run Windows in a window with WPWin inside that, you have VMware, Parallels, and VirtualBox as virtualization solutions (and Virtual PC if you’re still on a PowerPC Mac for some reason). If you want to have to reboot into Windows and use it exclusively when you’re using WPWin, just like a real PC, you have Boot Camp. If you want to run WPDOS or WPMac (and lose compatibility with documents saved in formats newer than 6.x), there are the various emulation solutions such as found in the files download section for the group. If you want to use your Mac native apps, I don't think any of them support WPWin formats (not even Microsoft Office, though OpenOffice/LibreOffice might to some degree), you have WPLO as an option but I have never used it myself.

                      Pretty much, it comes down to how you want to interact with your WordPerfect install, and which version. (I know you stated WPWin X-series, but for the benefit of lurkers and future list searchers, I'm staying generic.) If the method of interaction has multiple options (i.e. virtualization), my suggestion is to try the free one first and use that to evaluate the shortcomings you perceive and then use that to decide whether a paid option would resolve them and which one it would be. If all the options are free (such as the emulation case), go with the flow and choose the most popular.

                      I hope that helps a bit!

                      --Matt

                      --

                      Matt Lewandowsky

                      Big Geek

                      Greenviolet

                      matt@... http://www.greenviolet.net

                      +1 415 578 5782 (US) +44 844 484 8254 (UK)
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 25, 2013
                        Lea
                        Happily running WPWin X5 in Windows 7 under Parallels 8.
                        Set aside an hour for the install
                        Geoff Gilbert
                        Professor of Law
                        Head of the School of Law
                        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                        University of Essex
                        Wivenhoe Park
                        Colchester
                        CO4 3SQ

                        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                        essex.ac.uk)

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                          If your Windows 7 disk came with your computer, then it may not install Windows in anything except your original computer, and you may need to buy a separate copy of Windows 7. The only way to tell is to try it.

                          Having reviewed Parallels and VMware Fusion for PCMag.com over the years, I strongly recommend Fusion, which (in my experience, at least) is far more stable. Someone is sure to post a message with a link pointing to some study or other that shows that Parallels is ten percent faster at some test that has nothing to do with real-world performance; you may safely ignore it. The two programs are functionally very similar, but VMware Fusion is less intrusive on the screen. Whenever I try it out, I always end up removing it after a day or two. But ultimately, there isn't any serious difference, and you'll be able to work with either one.

                          The advantage of both programs is that you can set them up (it's easy) to open WordPerfect for Windows so that it opens in its own window on the OS X desktop - without seeing the Windows desktop in the background. WordPerfect can use the same Documents folder that you use on the Mac.

                          The whole procedure is surprisingly easy. If you have questions about WordPerfect itself, not the OS X environment, the best place to ask is in the forums at http://wpuniverse.com

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Lea Tassie <ibltassie@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks again. That makes some of my notes clearer! I do have a Windows 7
                          > disk, so I'm sure that will suffice.
                          > Irene
                          >

                          > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM, mxytsplyk@... <mxytsplyk@...>wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > I should be more specific: Parallels is a means of booting up your Mac in
                          > > Windows itself, made possible by Apples' switch to Intel type hardware. It
                          > > will be faster than emulation such as VMWare Fusion. You'll need a Windows
                          > > System Disk appropriate to the requirements of WP for Windows.
                          > >
                          > > Joe
                          > >

                          > --
                          > *Check out my fiction at
                          > http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/leatassie
                          >
                          > *

                        • Lea Tassie
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                            Thanks for that info, Chris. It's obvious my question about WP backwards
                            compatibility doesn't need to be answered. I'm grateful for all the
                            Irene

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                              Totally forgot to hit that question... The short answer is, WordPerfect is
                              great about maintaining file format compatibility. From the late 90s
                              WordPerfect 8 onward, every WP version can open earlier *and later *versions'
                              documents (though features found in later versions will be ignored -- but
                              retained -- when editing in older versions). The documents 'degrade
                              gracefully' when opened with earlier versions. It's pretty elegant.

                              For the record, I use WordPerfect 12 through 'wine,' which is close to
                              native but not for the faint of heart. I've also successfully used
                              WordPerfect X6 under Windows XP under VMware, and it's easy, fast, and
                              great.

                              I'm sure Parallels is the same, but I'm wedded to the VMware ecosystem...

                              On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Lea Tassie <ibltassie@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Thanks for that info, Chris. It's obvious my question about WP backwards
                              > compatibility doesn't need to be answered. I'm grateful for all the
                              > Irene
                              >
                              > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Chris Harshman <harshman@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              >

                              > > Incorrect. Boot Camp is the Apple technology for booting your computer
                              > into
                              > > Windows.
                              > >
                              > > Both VMware Fusion and Parallels are virtualization technologies that run
                              > > Windows in a virtualized environment within OS X; VMware and Parallels
                              > > are neck and neck in terms of performance.
                              > >
                              > > The only emulation environment I am aware of that would have been
                              > > comparable was Virtual PC, which let you use Intel Windows software on
                              > > PowerPC Macintoshes, but Microsoft bought virtual PC years ago and that
                              > is
                              > > a dead product.
                              > >
                              > > On Thursday, July 25, 2013, mxytsplyk@... wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > **
                              >

                              > > > I should be more specific: Parallels is a means of booting up your Mac
                              > in
                              > > > Windows itself, made possible by Apples' switch to Intel type hardware.
                              > > It
                              > > > will be faster than emulation such as VMWare Fusion. You'll need a
                              > > Windows
                              > > > System Disk appropriate to the requirements of WP for Windows.
                              > > >
                              > > > Joe
                              > > >

                              > > --
                              > > --
                              > > Sent from my  iPhone

                              > --
                              > *Check out my fiction at
                              > http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/leatassie
                              >
                              > *

                            • Lea Tassie
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                                Thanks, Chris. I rather thought WP would work backward, because the program
                                is so good in other ways. I started using it with 5.1. But I wanted to be
                                sure, in case I went the route of downloading the old version.

                                However, if you found it easy and fast to use WordPerfect X6 under Windows
                                XP under VMware, then surely I should have the same results using
                                WordPerfect X6 under Windows 7 under VMware.
                                Irene

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                                  Thanks for that correction Chris.

                                  Joe
                                • Rick Albright
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                                    I find it more than a little ironic that, on this list that is devoted to WordPerfect for the Mac (which is a superb product), I have just read some 18 messages all recommending running WordPerfect for Windows under various software products.

                                    The user who asked for advice is a Mac user. Why has no one recommended WP for the Mac, which, for those of us who have been on this list for awhile, is a superior product and gives the user an actual Mac experience? Not only that, but WP for the Mac is vastly more powerful than the Windows version, due to its unparalleled (pun intended) macro language and the array of amazingly useful macros developed by John Rethorst and others. (And there are translators available that will convert WPWin files to WPMac format.) Many features in the Mac version (did I mention that it's free?) have no comparable feature on the Windows side. Quite simply, there is much that you can do on the Mac version that you can't even begin to do on the Windows version.

                                    Don't be put off by the fact that WP for the Mac is old. It is amazingly extensible—far more so than the Windows version—and is hands down a superior product.

                                    Rick Albright

                                    Rick Albright
                                    logres@...

                                    http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
                                  • Lea Tassie
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                                      Rick, thanks for that information. I've added it to my notes to help making
                                      final decisions.
                                      Irene
                                    • Chris Harshman
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 26, 2013
                                        WP for Mac (v3.5, circa the late 90s) is *not* fully compatible with WP for Windows files (likewise, WP for Next and WP for the Apple IIgs... I've used em all). The OP wanted a WP solution that would work well with modern WP files, which WP for Mac will not do ( not even the relatively simple but still rigidly formatted WPD forms put out by the Central District of California)...)

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 27, 2013
                                          Absolutely correct. WP for Mac tends to crash when trying to import modern WPWin files that have anything more than the simplest possible formatting. And even if WPMac does import the file without crashing (after a very slow process of converting the file), it tends to distort the original formatting. It's completely unsuitable for this purpose.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 27, 2013
                                            Thank you! THAT is what I wanted to know! I'd prefer to use Mac programs on a Mac machine, but from what you say that won't be feasible. I have something like 46 Megs of WordPerfect files, most in WPWin X5. If I can't convert them easily to WPMac3.5, then I'll go the other route, with VMware or Parallels and Windows 7 and WPWin X6. I like computers (when they work, and my pc currently is throwing tantrums, which is why I'm pretty sure that my next move is to Apple) but basically, I'm a writer. I'd rather be writing than struggling with recalcitrant software. And why I'm trying to do my research and learn enough to make the right decisions about software.

                                            I've been using pcs for 25 years and am comfortable with how they work. But, with a desktop and a laptop both having tantrums and costing way too much to repair, and now that I know I can use WordPerfect, I'm ready to move to Apple. I just hope the learning curve isn't going to be very steep.

                                            Irene

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 27, 2013
                                              Don't even think about converting the files. Just use WPX5 in VMware Fusion, just as you did before!

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                                                Then would it be too much to ask that extended discussions (20+ messages and counting) be taken to an appropriate Windows-oriented discussion forum? I don't mind occasional inquiries, but when we start having detailed comparisons of the nuances of Windows emulation products, it seems reasonable that it's off-topic. Those who have previously strayed afield of the topic of this list (Word queries, UNIX queries, etc.) have been gently nudged toward a more appropriate forum before. There is probably a WordPerfect for Windows forum, and perhaps a forum devoted to Windows emulation on Macs that would be more on-topic.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                                                  The discussion is about running WordPerfect (albeit for Windows) on a Mac, ergo, seems to me, it's on topic: "A resource for users of WordPerfect for the Macintosh *and supporting technologies*, including OSX Classic, AppleScript, and emulators including SheepShaver and Basilisk, which *run WordPerfect on Intel Macs* and on the Leopard OS (10.5) and later. ... Our discussion forum addresses *all aspects of WordPerfect* at all levels ..."

                                                  I read that as "I have a Mac, I want to use my Mac, but I also have a need to use WordPerfect ..." Which this group is uniquely qualified to address. Windows emulation forums generally won't have the WordPerfect/Mac expertise, WordPerfect groups won't as a general rule have any Mac insight... If John wants this discussion taken elsewhere I'm sure he'll opine. Else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k =)

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                                                    While debate is certainly not unwelcome, I think we've generally tried to avoid snarkiness as a general rule.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jul 28, 2013
                                                      Message #7893 already points to the appropriate forum for questions about WordPerfect itself (http://wpuniverse.com) but surely this is the appropriate forum - and in fact the only forum with the requisite expertise - for asking about any version of WordPerfect being used on a Macintosh computer.

                                                      > Then would it be too much to ask that extended discussions (20+ messages and counting) be taken to an appropriate Windows-oriented discussion forum?
                                                    • James Voelzow
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jul 29, 2013
                                                        FWIW--I use WPMac App and WP Mac 3.5 (and Boot Camp for any unusual PC needs), but I still find the discussions re different options/applications for utilizing WP Mac interesting and informative. Seems on topic to me.

                                                        Just my 2¢

                                                        Jim