Re: [wpmac] [OT] Two articles on writing and word processing

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9 8:50 PM
      In a message dated 2013-0704 14:46 -0500, John R wrote:

      > http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/06/25/andrew-coyne losing-longhand-breaks-link-to-the-past/
      >
      > http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/06/29/revising-your writing-again-blame-modernists/WhoH6Ih2kat2RE9DZV3DjP/story.html

      John,

      Thanks for these two pieces (and related links), which I finally got a chance to
      read. They are among the best of your OT recommendations, a reminder that for
      you WP is not just another word processor, and this list is not just about
      making WP work better. This is about how we think and communicate our thoughts,
      and you are the best of friends to care about that.

      In small partial compensation, a note for those who may not yet have tried them,
      or tried and failed: Each of those links has a missing hyphen (a space where a
      hyphen should be), which causes a little difficulty in retrieving the page in
      question.

      [The National Post article was found anyway, because its server (nginx) has a
      really URL nice search function. Rather than return a 404 for an incomplete URL,
      it will search for pages from the specified date beginning with whatever stem
      you give it. If it finds that stem, it will return the full URL from the search,
      and use it to replace what was incomplete. In this case, you don't even need
      "andrew-coyne", or even "andrew"; even "a" will do, as will "an". (But "ao", for
      example, returns a 404, because there is no such title stem.) This is such a
      neat departure from most server practice that I looked for other nginx sites and
      tried the same trick; those that I tried behaved the same way, so it must be a
      standard nginx function. Nice. (I will be reviewing my attachment to Apache. But
      I digress.)

      [The Boston Globe's server, like most, is not so accommodating, so you have to
      get the URL right.]

      So the working URLs are:

      http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/06/25/andrew-coyne-losing-longhand-breaks-link-to-the-past/

      http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/06/29/revising-your-writing-again-blame-modernists/WhoH6Ih2kat2RE9DZV3DjP/story.html