Re: [wpmac] Re: BasiliskII-based WPMac system

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
      John
      PrintToPdf worked when adobe and laserwriter 8 were causing a version of
      SheepShaver to crash with the then version of OSX. The current
      SheepShaver print routine works fine, so printtopdf is there as a back
      up. It's also useful if, like me, you need a pdf so that you know all
      the footnote cross references for wen the WP file is saved as Word
      because that is what the publisher insists on - much easier to work with
      the pdf and the Word file to make sure Word has all the right footnote
      numbers.
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      Head of the School of Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

      > John R <mailto:johnrethorst@...>
      > 1 June 2013 23:17
      > My package includes SmoothType, a nice control panel that smooths
      > better than Apple's Appearance.
      >
      > I looked at PrintToPDF some time ago, and concluded that the
      > restricted number of fonts it supports was a substantial limitation --
      > of course, not if it supports fonts you use. But is it much faster
      > than the Laserwriter 8 driver plus opening in Preview?
      >
      > It's also interesting that PrintToPDF doesn't embed fonts. I don't
      > understand that part of things -- Laserwriter 8 gives you the option
      > of embedding fonts. When I re-released my Scripting Guide in PDF
      > format, I embedded fonts, thinking formatting would then be accurate
      > and not dependent on the user's fonts. But I was told the Guide opened
      > up as gibberish on some machines. Ed suggested not embedding fonts, so
      > I replaced it with a PDF file without embedded fonts and have had no
      > complaints. I would have thought things would go exactly the other way.
      >
      > Are there other advantages to PrintToPDF relative to Laserwriter 8?

      > .
      >
      > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:geoff@...>
      > 27 May 2013 15:29
      > John
      > Not certain if these are now included in the start up pack, but I know
      > I used them before you incorporated (if you already have) -
      > SmoothType, Dialog View and PrintToPdf. The latter two are Jim
      > Walker's and I think are free. DialogView is the most useful.
      > Apologies if these are standard already - and 12 seconds is very
      > impressive in the days of OSX Bloat
      > Geoff

    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
        On Sat Jun 1, 2013 3:17 pm ((PDT)), "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

        >It's also interesting that PrintToPDF doesn't embed fonts. I don't
        >understand that part of things -- Laserwriter 8 gives you the option
        >of embedding fonts.

        The PDF spec defines 8? standard fonts that are supposed to be on
        every system (in the old days, often installed with Acrobat Reader),
        so if you used only those fonts, you could be guaranteed that your
        appearance and layout would be preserved without needing to embed
        fonts. Also, those PDFs were smaller, since instead of embedding the
        font, they just used a reference (tagging the text runs with the font
        name, or something similar). And in the pre-Mac OS X era, PrintToPDF
        was a simple and inexpensive way for the average
        (non-Acrobat/Distiller-owning) Mac user to produce PDFs. (It also
        supported making "structured PDFs" (headings to PDF Table of
        Contents, links, etc.) from programs like WP that didn't specifically
        output things in the way Distiller required for structured PDFs; I
        kept using PrintToPDF for that even after I owned Acrobat.)

        >When I re-released my Scripting Guide in PDF format, I embedded
        >fonts, thinking formatting would then be accurate and not dependent
        >on the user's fonts. But I was told the Guide opened up as gibberish
        >on some machines. Ed suggested not embedding fonts, so I replaced it
        >with a PDF file without embedded fonts and have had no complaints. I
        >would have thought things would go exactly the other way.

        It's definitely been a while since I've done that, but about a decade
        ago I used to embed the fonts that all the time, with no problems in
        the subsequently-generated PDFs. I also don't remember your
        Scripting Guide situation, but it's possible there was some sort of
        encoding/charset issue with the font used (this is typically the case
        with, e.g. gibberish PDFs produced by random software on Linux,
        although I haven't seen this problem in some time even with that).

        I'm not sure that this provides any solutions, but perhaps there's
        some useful background as to the whys.

        Smokey