Re: [wpmac] BasiliskII-based WPMac system

    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2013
      Ed
      If 12 seconds is forever (the time it takes for John's Sheepshaver to
      start on my disk, and I have a few added extras), faster than any other
      programme on my disk apart from Textedit, then you are definitely living
      life in the fast lane. Regardless, thanks for this new system 7.5.5 was
      in many ways the best OS Apple produced.
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      Head of the School of Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2013
        Geoff,

        Tell us about your extras? I might like to incorporate them.

        John

        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2013
          John
          Not certain if these are now included in the start up pack, but I know I
          used them before you incorporated (if you already have) - SmoothType,
          Dialog View and PrintToPdf. The latter two are Jim Walker's and I think
          are free. DialogView is the most useful.
          Apologies if these are standard already - and 12 seconds is very
          impressive in the days of OSX Bloat

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
            My package includes SmoothType, a nice control panel that smooths better than Apple's Appearance.

            I looked at PrintToPDF some time ago, and concluded that the restricted number of fonts it supports was a substantial limitation -- of course, not if it supports fonts you use. But is it much faster than the Laserwriter 8 driver plus opening in Preview?

            It's also interesting that PrintToPDF doesn't embed fonts. I don't understand that part of things -- Laserwriter 8 gives you the option of embedding fonts. When I re-released my Scripting Guide in PDF format, I embedded fonts, thinking formatting would then be accurate and not dependent on the user's fonts. But I was told the Guide opened up as gibberish on some machines. Ed suggested not embedding fonts, so I replaced it with a PDF file without embedded fonts and have had no complaints. I would have thought things would go exactly the other way.

            Are there other advantages to PrintToPDF relative to Laserwriter 8?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2013
              John
              PrintToPdf worked when adobe and laserwriter 8 were causing a version of
              SheepShaver to crash with the then version of OSX. The current
              SheepShaver print routine works fine, so printtopdf is there as a back
              up. It's also useful if, like me, you need a pdf so that you know all
              the footnote cross references for wen the WP file is saved as Word
              because that is what the publisher insists on - much easier to work with
              the pdf and the Word file to make sure Word has all the right footnote
              numbers.
              Geoff Gilbert
              Professor of Law
              Head of the School of Law
              School of Law and Human Rights Centre
              University of Essex
              Wivenhoe Park
              Colchester
              CO4 3SQ

              Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
              Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
              essex.ac.uk)

              > John R <mailto:johnrethorst@...>
              > 1 June 2013 23:17
              > My package includes SmoothType, a nice control panel that smooths
              > better than Apple's Appearance.
              >
              > I looked at PrintToPDF some time ago, and concluded that the
              > restricted number of fonts it supports was a substantial limitation --
              > of course, not if it supports fonts you use. But is it much faster
              > than the Laserwriter 8 driver plus opening in Preview?
              >
              > It's also interesting that PrintToPDF doesn't embed fonts. I don't
              > understand that part of things -- Laserwriter 8 gives you the option
              > of embedding fonts. When I re-released my Scripting Guide in PDF
              > format, I embedded fonts, thinking formatting would then be accurate
              > and not dependent on the user's fonts. But I was told the Guide opened
              > up as gibberish on some machines. Ed suggested not embedding fonts, so
              > I replaced it with a PDF file without embedded fonts and have had no
              > complaints. I would have thought things would go exactly the other way.
              >
              > Are there other advantages to PrintToPDF relative to Laserwriter 8?

              > .
              >
              > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:geoff@...>
              > 27 May 2013 15:29
              > John
              > Not certain if these are now included in the start up pack, but I know
              > I used them before you incorporated (if you already have) -
              > SmoothType, Dialog View and PrintToPdf. The latter two are Jim
              > Walker's and I think are free. DialogView is the most useful.
              > Apologies if these are standard already - and 12 seconds is very
              > impressive in the days of OSX Bloat
              > Geoff

            • Smokey Ardisson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2013
                On Sat Jun 1, 2013 3:17 pm ((PDT)), "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

                >It's also interesting that PrintToPDF doesn't embed fonts. I don't
                >understand that part of things -- Laserwriter 8 gives you the option
                >of embedding fonts.

                The PDF spec defines 8? standard fonts that are supposed to be on
                every system (in the old days, often installed with Acrobat Reader),
                so if you used only those fonts, you could be guaranteed that your
                appearance and layout would be preserved without needing to embed
                fonts. Also, those PDFs were smaller, since instead of embedding the
                font, they just used a reference (tagging the text runs with the font
                name, or something similar). And in the pre-Mac OS X era, PrintToPDF
                was a simple and inexpensive way for the average
                (non-Acrobat/Distiller-owning) Mac user to produce PDFs. (It also
                supported making "structured PDFs" (headings to PDF Table of
                Contents, links, etc.) from programs like WP that didn't specifically
                output things in the way Distiller required for structured PDFs; I
                kept using PrintToPDF for that even after I owned Acrobat.)

                >When I re-released my Scripting Guide in PDF format, I embedded
                >fonts, thinking formatting would then be accurate and not dependent
                >on the user's fonts. But I was told the Guide opened up as gibberish
                >on some machines. Ed suggested not embedding fonts, so I replaced it
                >with a PDF file without embedded fonts and have had no complaints. I
                >would have thought things would go exactly the other way.

                It's definitely been a while since I've done that, but about a decade
                ago I used to embed the fonts that all the time, with no problems in
                the subsequently-generated PDFs. I also don't remember your
                Scripting Guide situation, but it's possible there was some sort of
                encoding/charset issue with the font used (this is typically the case
                with, e.g. gibberish PDFs produced by random software on Linux,
                although I haven't seen this problem in some time even with that).

                I'm not sure that this provides any solutions, but perhaps there's
                some useful background as to the whys.

                Smokey