App/Window Switching from Keyboard in SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2013
      > In my setup, Alt-Tab is used by LiteSwitch, a control panel that lets you use
      the keyboard to switch among applications. Of course, you can easily turn off
      LiteSwitch, and that would make it possible to use Option-this or -that for
      outlining.

      I did not include LiteSwitch with my latest Sheepshaver install since ApplWindows, which is included, does as well. As configured, the control key and right or left arrow cycles through all running applications, and the control key and up or down arrow cycles through all open windows of the current app. The small icon at the right of the menu bar shows which application is current.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2013
        I tried that, but, under Mountain Lion at least, Ctrl-left opens the Dashboard and Ctrl-up opens Mission Control, so I didn't pursue it. There really should be some useful solution, but I think your alternate keystrokes for outlining might be best.

        Is it possible to create a keyboard layout for outlining that would use your keystrokes? A keystroke macro could then toggle outlining mode and turn on the outlining keyboard. Or is that not possible?

        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2013

          > I tried that, but, under Mountain Lion at least, Ctrl-left opens the Dashboard and Ctrl-up opens Mission Control, so I didn't pursue it. There really should be some useful solution, but I think your alternate keystrokes for outlining might be best.

          Bummer, although ApplWindows lets you assign any combination of command, option and control keys plus the arrows. BTW it also can be set to hide apps that aren't frontmost. It's a nice control panel.

          > Is it possible to create a keyboard layout for outlining that would use your keystrokes? A keystroke macro could then toggle outlining mode and turn on the outlining keyboard. Or is that not possible?

          It's not possible to write a macro that scripts the Library, including choice of keyboard layouts, nor does WP's implementation of Applescript support switching keymaps. But Prefab Player could possibly do it very well.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2013
            Possibly straying off topic, but under ML Ctrl-Left moves you left a
            'space', which is where Dashboard hides. You can turn that off (and
            Ctrl-Right) under Keyboard| Keyboard Shortcuts in System Prefs (you'll
            need another way to get to Dashboard, but I keep the icon in the dock).
            --
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law

            Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            essex.ac.uk)

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013
              "The small icon at the right of the menu bar" -- unless you drag the divider half an inch to the left, in which case you have the application name as well as icon. Much better.