Outlining in new SheepShaver-WP Release

  • tjrostaf
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2013
      John, let's put your John’s WP Outlining Keystrokes up in the Files
      section (I don't see it there) and/or include it in the next version of your installer. I've been using these macros for years as a workaround, given that the usual keystrokes (Control-Return, Control-Tab, and Control-Shift-Tab) don't work in SS. I use a separate keyboard layout for outlining, with your macros installed, that lets me toggle the "outlining mode" on and off.

      When this mode is on (for those on the list who have not encountered this yet), you press return to create a new topic in the outline, tab to "demote" the current topic and its subtopics by one level to the right, and shift-tab to "promote" same by one level to the left. I've also created keystrokes for some other outlining commands (Move Outline Topic, for example). I highly recommend this option to enhance John's excellent outliner further.

      And John, could you provide the macros separately for changing the basic outlining keystrokes to Option-Return, Option-Tab, and Option-shift-tab, for those of us still using an old build? (Interestingly, on an old MBP running Tiger, I find the old 21-07-2008 versions of SS to be the most stable for WP and other apps.) Thank you! Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================

      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2013
        John's macros are already part of the current version of his system. They're right there on the Macros menu.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2013

          > John's macros are already part of the current version of his system. They're right there on the Macros menu.

          They are installed, and also in a separate file ("WP Outlining Keystrokes" in User Guides), but I overlooked pointing this out when releasing the update. The readme in the separate file isn't very good either, and I forgot to include another macro I use that just numbers paragraphs. To top it off, I included another file, with macros, of an older outlining setup (version 1.0.3). So an update to Outlining Keystrokes is in the works.

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tjrostaf" <TJRostaf@> wrote:

          > > John, let's put your John's WP Outlining Keystrokes up in the Files section (I don't see it there) and/or include it in the next version of your installer. I've been using these macros for years as a workaround, given that the usual keystrokes (Control-Return, Control-Tab, and Control-Shift-Tab) don't work in SS. I use a separate keyboard layout for outlining, with your macros installed, that lets me toggle the "outlining mode" on and off.

          > > When this mode is on (for those on the list who have not encountered this yet), you press return to create a new topic in the outline, tab to "demote" the current topic and its subtopics by one level to the right, and shift-tab to "promote" same by one level to the left. I've also created keystrokes for some other outlining commands (Move Outline Topic, for example). I highly recommend this option to enhance John's excellent outliner further.

          Tom, that's really the way to do it if you use outlining enough. Does your keyboard layout have a second set of alternative keystrokes, for the regular return/tab/back tab functions?

          > > (Interestingly, on an old MBP running Tiger, I find the old 21-07-2008 versions of SS to be the most stable for WP and other apps.)

          Is this an Intel machine? Do you run Sheepshaver on another machine? This is very interesting, since I've never used a 2008 release of SS; I included the Oct. 2009 release since I feel most comfortable with it overall, although there have been several later versions.

          > > Thank you! Tom

          Tom, thanks are due to you for your (as always) excellent suggestions.

          John R.
        • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2013
            John, I alternate between two keyboard layouts that are nearly identical
            except that the "Outlining Keyboard" allows me to use a keystroke to
            toggle the outlining mode that does not require the control key, my
            default keyboard does not have this installed.

            With outlining mode off, Return and Tab (and Shift-Tab) work the usual
            way, _almost_ like with the default keyboard, _except_ that because the
            Tab key is reconfigured to invoke a macro, it does not work in dialog
            boxes. I do have another keystroke to simulate the Tab in dialog boxes,
            but for simplicity I use the default keyboard when not outlining.

            BTW, I just remembered (and verified) that whereas, in SS on Tiger at
            least, Control-Tab and Control-Shift-Tab don't work for outlining, but
            Control-Return does -- so for simple paragraph numbering I can use this
            without going into outlining mode. I will be interested to see your
            macro for that.

            >>> When this mode is on (for those on the list who have not
            >>> encountered this yet), you press return to create a new topic in
            >>> the outline, tab to "demote" the current topic and its subtopics
            >>> by one level to the right, and shift-tab to "promote" same by one
            >>> level to the left. I've also created keystrokes for some other
            >>> outlining commands (Move Outline Topic, for example). I highly
            >>> recommend this option to enhance John's excellent outliner
            >>> further.

            > Tom, that's really the way to do it if you use outlining enough. Does
            > your keyboard layout have a second set of alternative keystrokes, for
            > the regular return/tab/back tab functions?

            My MBP is indeed Intel and could run later OS versions, but Tiger has
            generally treated me well. The 2008 SS builds (21-07-2008), in both the
            software-cursor and the hardware-cursor versions, are the only ones that
            have rarely if ever quit on me or frozen WP. The latest build
            (2012-07-15) works well but still sometimes freezes. I expect different
            results with the new machine, running Snow Leopard and Lion, that I am
            slowly deploying; will be trying out your and Ed's installers.

            > Is this an Intel machine? Do you run Sheepshaver on another machine?
            > This is very interesting, since I've never used a 2008 release of SS;
            > I included the Oct. 2009 release since I feel most comfortable with
            > it overall, although there have been several later versions.

            Thanks to both of you for your great work on this. Tom
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 2013
              My WPMacApp setup requires some manual changes before it can be used easily for outlining, so that's another reason to prefer John's SS-WP setup.

              In my setup, Alt-Tab is used by LiteSwitch, a control panel that lets you use the keyboard to switch among applications. Of course, you can easily turn off LiteSwitch, and that would make it possible to use Option-this or -that for outlining. But John's system doesn't need this change, and has the outlining keyboard fixes already built-in.