Re: Another (not easy, probably) suggestion for the startup script.

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2013
      The advantage of hdiutil is that it's built into OS X and doesn't require an osax. John is right, of course, that a .dsk image cannot easily be mounted in OS X; you have to change its extension to .dmg.

      I'm probably not going to add anything like this to my WPMacApp. I think it's always a mistake to mount a SheepShaver disk image in OS X. It's perfectly easy to copy files in SheepShaver from the "Unix" disk to the SheepShaver "hard disk," so there's no strong reason to do so anyway. But, of course, if anyone wants to add this safety net to their own systems, my earlier message gives all the information needed for implementing it.

      > > This is actually not all that difficult. The Applescript would need to read the sheepshaver.prefs file for the lines with "disk" and get the paths of the installed disks. Then run "hdiutil info" and test the output for strings that match the paths of the installed disks. If there's a match, then one of the disks is mounted.
      >
      > Not difficult at all. How is hdiutil info's output better than the List Disks osax? But mainly, will a disk image with the .dsk extension mount easily in OSX? When I double-click on the SS volume, Disk Utility opens but does nothing. When I go to Disk Utility's Open menu, the volume is grayed out in the list. I used to use a .dmg extension for the SS volume, which would mount easily in OSX, and changed to .dsk to discourage that.
      >
      > John R.

    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2013
        That's assuming you are half-competent at writing AppleScript. I ain't!

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2013
          Actually, this idea wouldn't work with the SheepShaver/WP setup, because it doesn't use a startup script in OS X, only in SheepShaver. And the SheepShaver startup script runs AFTER any disk images are mounted.

          This idea would, however, work in a system that uses an Applescript to launch SheepShaver.