Another (not easy, probably) suggestion for the startup script.

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24 8:05 PM
      John -- in case you have run out of ideas to work on, how about adding something to the startup script that checks to make sure none of the volumes SS will use are already mounted (in OS X). Some comment in the emaculation forum says they are or have added that to the latest build, but I'd think it would be pretty straightforward to add some lines to your script that a) opened the SS prefs file to find all the volumes it is supposed to mount, b) check that none of them are mounted and c) if at least one is, ask if the script should unmount them and do so if the answer is yes, before starting SS. (I suppose you could have a three-way choice if any are mounted: Unmount, Proceed without unmounting, Quit)

      It's so dangerous to have them open both in OS X and SS that the option to proceed without unmounting is perhaps a bad idea.

      Ted
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25 7:37 PM
        This is actually not all that difficult. The Applescript would need to read the sheepshaver.prefs file for the lines with "disk" and get the paths of the installed disks. Then run "hdiutil info" and test the output for strings that match the paths of the installed disks. If there's a match, then one of the disks is mounted.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26 7:31 AM

          > This is actually not all that difficult. The Applescript would need to read the sheepshaver.prefs file for the lines with "disk" and get the paths of the installed disks. Then run "hdiutil info" and test the output for strings that match the paths of the installed disks. If there's a match, then one of the disks is mounted.

          Not difficult at all. How is hdiutil info's output better than the List Disks osax? But mainly, will a disk image with the .dsk extension mount easily in OSX? When I double-click on the SS volume, Disk Utility opens but does nothing. When I go to Disk Utility's Open menu, the volume is grayed out in the list. I used to use a .dmg extension for the SS volume, which would mount easily in OSX, and changed to .dsk to discourage that.

          John R.
        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 26 7:41 AM
            In order to "install" software into the SS volume it's useful to be able simply to copy it there with OS X -- which requires having the disk image have a .dmg suffix. (Someone pointed out that all it takes is changing the suffix -- the volume format is just fine.) The whole topic is of course a relatively small point. If you're in the business of changing suffixes you should know what you are doing and should know that once you've mounted the volume in OS X you should unmount it before starting up SS. But I'm not very good at "should's"

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26 12:26 PM
              The advantage of hdiutil is that it's built into OS X and doesn't require an osax. John is right, of course, that a .dsk image cannot easily be mounted in OS X; you have to change its extension to .dmg.

              I'm probably not going to add anything like this to my WPMacApp. I think it's always a mistake to mount a SheepShaver disk image in OS X. It's perfectly easy to copy files in SheepShaver from the "Unix" disk to the SheepShaver "hard disk," so there's no strong reason to do so anyway. But, of course, if anyone wants to add this safety net to their own systems, my earlier message gives all the information needed for implementing it.

              > > This is actually not all that difficult. The Applescript would need to read the sheepshaver.prefs file for the lines with "disk" and get the paths of the installed disks. Then run "hdiutil info" and test the output for strings that match the paths of the installed disks. If there's a match, then one of the disks is mounted.
              >
              > Not difficult at all. How is hdiutil info's output better than the List Disks osax? But mainly, will a disk image with the .dsk extension mount easily in OSX? When I double-click on the SS volume, Disk Utility opens but does nothing. When I go to Disk Utility's Open menu, the volume is grayed out in the list. I used to use a .dmg extension for the SS volume, which would mount easily in OSX, and changed to .dsk to discourage that.
              >
              > John R.

            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 26 7:26 PM
                That's assuming you are half-competent at writing AppleScript. I ain't!

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 26 7:48 PM
                  Actually, this idea wouldn't work with the SheepShaver/WP setup, because it doesn't use a startup script in OS X, only in SheepShaver. And the SheepShaver startup script runs AFTER any disk images are mounted.

                  This idea would, however, work in a system that uses an Applescript to launch SheepShaver.