Re: New link?

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23 5:12 PM

      > Any of the nine moderators could have put that up, but this one was mine. It's SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver setup: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/osx_sheepshaver.html
      >
      > This is a nice page, but one of many, that discusses SheepShaver.
      > I'd think that most members would not want email notification of new files or links, unless especially important. But that could be wrong. Would most members prefer a notice when a link or file is added?

      I don't know if there's a way to turn it off, but yahoo groups appears to do that automatically -- except all it tells you is that there is a new link (presumably also new files) but doesn't tell you *what* the new link was.
    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23 8:19 PM
        In a message dated 2013-0423 20:12 -0500, ted_m_p_lee wrote:
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Any of the nine moderators could have put that up, but this one was mine. It's SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver setup: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/osx_sheepshaver.html
        >>
        >> This is a nice page, but one of many, that discusses SheepShaver.
        >> I'd think that most members would not want email notification of new files or links, unless especially important. But that could be wrong. Would most members prefer a notice when a link or file is added?
        >>

        > I don't know if there's a way to turn it off, but yahoo groups appears to do that automatically -- except all it tells you is that there is a new link (presumably also new files) but doesn't tell you *what* the new link was.

        And that's precisely the problem, isn't it? - the auto-announcement from Yahoo
        should allow for a comment explaining the addition, which would obviate the
        quandary of "Is this worth 'bothering' the list with an (otherwise redundant)
        announcement?" Instead all you get to explain an upload is a one-line (*short*
        line) "Description" - and even that does not get into the upload announcement.

        Having never had the slightest luck getting an answer from Yahoo about anything,
        I have no idea how to improve what may be Yahoo's way of reminding us that you
        get what you pay for. Even Yahoo's "Moderator Central", which is supposed to
        help navigate such issues, is an exercise in frustration. At least, with the
        list, you get a mailing list manager. If anyone has an idea how to get answers
        on such questions, I would love to hear it, in the interest of getting answers
        on this and other questions.

        John K
      • Michael Luskin
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24 7:50 AM
          Definitely yes to a notice.

          Michael B. Luskin
        • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24 10:35 AM
            Hi, John. I actually like getting the announcements directly from
            Yahoo, though as Ted noted, sometimes the links or files are a bit hard
            to find. (It would be nice if Yahoo let us view the links, files, etc.,
            ordered by date posted; what I've done to find new files is to search
            the page for the current year, which takes me to only the newest files
            -- links do not show a date posted, unfortunately.)

            The page you linked to has links to many nice resources, including (for
            example) the "Classic" version of BBEdit lite. It was frustrating to
            find some of the links dead, though, such as the one to MacGSView, which
            would have been useful to me. Internet addresses are unfortunately not
            good forever.

            BTW, I am slowly deploying a new (refurbished) MBP on which I installed
            Snow Leopard, and am looking forward to trying out your latest installer
            as well as Ed's. Tom

            Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
            Licensed Clinical Psychologist
            1140 Lake Street, Suite 508