Re: New link?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
      Any of the nine moderators could have put that up, but this one was mine. It's SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver setup: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/osx_sheepshaver.html

      This is a nice page, but one of many, that discusses SheepShaver.
      I'd think that most members would not want email notification of new files or links, unless especially important. But that could be wrong. Would most members prefer a notice when a link or file is added?

      > John -- YahooGroups says you've posted a new link. Which one is it? (You don't seem to have posted a note about it.)
      >
      > Ted Lee
      > Minnetonka, MN

    • mxytsplyk
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
        Yes.

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 1:03 PM, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

        > Any of the nine moderators could have put that up, but this one was mine. It's SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver setup: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/osx_sheepshaver.html
        >
        > This is a nice page, but one of many, that discusses SheepShaver.
        > I'd think that most members would not want email notification of new files or links, unless especially important. But that could be wrong. Would most members prefer a notice when a link or file is added?

      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013

          > Any of the nine moderators could have put that up, but this one was mine. It's SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver setup: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/osx_sheepshaver.html
          >
          > This is a nice page, but one of many, that discusses SheepShaver.
          > I'd think that most members would not want email notification of new files or links, unless especially important. But that could be wrong. Would most members prefer a notice when a link or file is added?

          I don't know if there's a way to turn it off, but yahoo groups appears to do that automatically -- except all it tells you is that there is a new link (presumably also new files) but doesn't tell you *what* the new link was.
        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
            In a message dated 2013-0423 20:12 -0500, ted_m_p_lee wrote:
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Any of the nine moderators could have put that up, but this one was mine. It's SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver setup: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/osx_sheepshaver.html
            >>
            >> This is a nice page, but one of many, that discusses SheepShaver.
            >> I'd think that most members would not want email notification of new files or links, unless especially important. But that could be wrong. Would most members prefer a notice when a link or file is added?
            >>

            > I don't know if there's a way to turn it off, but yahoo groups appears to do that automatically -- except all it tells you is that there is a new link (presumably also new files) but doesn't tell you *what* the new link was.

            And that's precisely the problem, isn't it? - the auto-announcement from Yahoo
            should allow for a comment explaining the addition, which would obviate the
            quandary of "Is this worth 'bothering' the list with an (otherwise redundant)
            announcement?" Instead all you get to explain an upload is a one-line (*short*
            line) "Description" - and even that does not get into the upload announcement.

            Having never had the slightest luck getting an answer from Yahoo about anything,
            I have no idea how to improve what may be Yahoo's way of reminding us that you
            get what you pay for. Even Yahoo's "Moderator Central", which is supposed to
            help navigate such issues, is an exercise in frustration. At least, with the
            list, you get a mailing list manager. If anyone has an idea how to get answers
            on such questions, I would love to hear it, in the interest of getting answers
            on this and other questions.

            John K
          • Michael Luskin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
              Definitely yes to a notice.

              Michael B. Luskin
            • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
                Hi, John. I actually like getting the announcements directly from
                Yahoo, though as Ted noted, sometimes the links or files are a bit hard
                to find. (It would be nice if Yahoo let us view the links, files, etc.,
                ordered by date posted; what I've done to find new files is to search
                the page for the current year, which takes me to only the newest files
                -- links do not show a date posted, unfortunately.)

                The page you linked to has links to many nice resources, including (for
                example) the "Classic" version of BBEdit lite. It was frustrating to
                find some of the links dead, though, such as the one to MacGSView, which
                would have been useful to me. Internet addresses are unfortunately not
                good forever.

                BTW, I am slowly deploying a new (refurbished) MBP on which I installed
                Snow Leopard, and am looking forward to trying out your latest installer
                as well as Ed's. Tom

                Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                Licensed Clinical Psychologist
                1140 Lake Street, Suite 508