Re: Deleting SS prefs file (Mountain Lion)

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013

      I don't know what's going on. I know for sure that the prefs and nvram files yesterday had "everyone deny delete" permissions, as did (do) most of the rest of the top level directories in the home directory. I had to do the chmod -a thing so I could delete them. I reinstalled SheepShaver and I now just checked -- the prefs and nvram files are there with no unusual permissions!

      > I just saw a few days ago that the scripts in my package to delete the prefs and nvram files were PPC; those will be updated in the forthcoming release.
      >
      > Using OS 10.6.8, I just ran these two terminal commands:
      >
      > rm ∼/.sheepshaver_prefs
      > rm ∼/.sheepshaver_nvram
      >
      > (checking for the files' existence before and after with Easyfind). The files were deleted, without having to do chmod -a first. No errors returned.
      >
      > I then installed another prefs file, ran Sheepshaver, shut it down and did the two commands above again, this time as shell scripts from AppleScript Editor. The files were deleted again, with no errors.
      >
      > Mountain Lion may be the difference, although the 10.6.8 Terminal man pages include chmod -a.
      >
      > John R.
    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013
        I think I figured out what happened. I'm running my experiments on SS in a separate account. So I could easily get at files in that account from my main account I made sure the home directory there was readable by everyone and then propagated those rights to everything in the account. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the "everyone deny delete" permission was attached to the home directory (ACL's don't show up in the Finder) and so that was propagated to everything!