Re: Partial success (printing now works, startup script doesn't)

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
      Thanks for the advice. As I indicated in a couple of recent posts, the only problem I'm having is with the startup script (main.scpt). Once I replaced the printing script that was in the latest version of John's install package with an earlier one I had no problem with printing. As best Ican tell, the main purpose of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen, even if you have the dock on the left. As I said in my last post, if I run the startup script twice in a row it works fine!

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

        > More clues. With assistive devices enabled no error occurs when I run the startup applet (SS-WP). SS gets activated, but no SS window comes up. If I run the startup applet a second time, not having touched the SS icon in the dock, the SS window comes up and shortly thereafter gets repositioned. So I think there's something amiss in the script's attempting to wait until either SS starts or its window is created. I tried adding some delays or changing the delays in the script, but that didn't help. As I've said, I know essentially nothing about scripting, so I'll have to leave it in more capable hands to figure out.

        When you run SheepShaver itself, by double-clicking on the app icon, does the SS screen come up?

        > As best I can tell, the main purpose
        of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen,

        It just moves the window to cover up the space left by the now-disabled OSX menu bar. But the startup app will do much more in a forthcoming update, which I hope to release in a few days or a week.

        > I replaced the printer folder action script from SS-WP 1.4.2 with the one from
        1.2.5 (which was working on the Mac Mini) and printing now works under Mountain Lion.

        I'm sorry to say I no longer have a copy of 1.2.5. Could you send me that script? I'd like to track this down.

        > OK -- Google is your friend. I did a search . . . The author of that showed a script that bracketed his window manipulation commands with a "try/end try" but I couldn't find any places to put that in the script that worked.

        Could you send me that link?

        I'm sending you a copy of the new startup app, "SheepShaver-WP". It's a little bit cleaner and does more things. Could you try it? Please delete any and all copies of the Open WP Files app from your machine first.

        Thanks,
        John R.
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
          >

          > When you run SheepShaver itself, by double-clicking on the app icon, does the SS screen come up?

          Yes -- the SS splash screen (steering wheel) comes up, disk first aid, and then wp starts. No problem.

          > > As best I can tell, the main purpose
          > of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen,
          >
          > It just moves the window to cover up the space left by the now-disabled OSX menu bar. But the startup app will do much more in a forthcoming update, which I hope to release in a few days or a week.
          >
          > > I replaced the printer folder action script from SS-WP 1.4.2 with the one from
          > 1.2.5 (which was working on the Mac Mini) and printing now works under Mountain Lion.
          >
          > I'm sorry to say I no longer have a copy of 1.2.5. Could you send me that script? I'd like to track this down.

          Yes, I'll do that.

          > > OK -- Google is your friend. I did a search . . . The author of that showed a script that bracketed his window manipulation commands with a "try/end try" but I couldn't find any places to put that in the script that worked.
          >
          > Could you send me that link?

          OK -- I'll have to search for it again (it was about a half-dozen hits down.)

          > I'm sending you a copy of the new startup app, "SheepShaver-WP". It's a little bit cleaner and does more things. Could you try it? Please delete any and all copies of the Open WP Files app from your machine first.

          Thanks. I'll give it a try (probably not until tomorrow.)

          Ted