Re: Partial success (printing now works, startup script doesn't)

  • darylngee
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
      Ted,

      I use the WPMac Device you're usig and have been doing so through two or three Mac OSX, including, now, 10.8.3. I installed the device, etc., from Ed Mendelsohn's Columbia WP site about two years ago and have no printing problems with my Macbook Air, a recent Epson 3 in 1 printer and a few problems with a much older HP printer.

      You may have to remove all printers from your System Preferences and re-install them. At the same time, your Mac may try to install the most recent printer software, and I would let it do that.

      I use the "print to pdf choice. This action results in a .ps file, which I then print as I would some other word processing program (I use MS Word for Mac).

      If you cannot get SS started (I've had this problem), try restarting your computer, and then restart WP Mac, which should open SS first before opening WP.

      If nothing else works, John R has suggested deleting WP and SS, emptying the trash, and then re-installing (you have to get rid of WP Preferences and related files elsewhere, too!).

      I DID have, at one time, a Macbook which didn't work well with WP—but that was ages ago when the McB had a Sys. 9 emulator. However, I think you're using more recent machines.

      I am not sure about the assistive devices you're trying to install or reinstall, but you might try removing those also and then re-installing. I've got a printer on Bluetooth as well as on USB and (same printer, different ways to access). As a last last resort, talking to Customer Service Reps (800 telephone calls) does help, sometime—either the printer company or Apple. I do not use Applescript much, if at all, in my playing with WP

      Good luck, and let us know what works. Sorry if I am mis-interpreting what your difficulties are.

      Daryl

      > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
      > > > I tried enabling access to assistive devices in the accessibility pref -- the error no longer occurs and SS does get started
      > >
      > > FYI to other AppleScripters out there: any time an AppleScript uses GUI scripting, it really needs to check to make sure GUI scripting is enabled first, even if the instructions say to enable it, because people often gloss over instructions ;)
      > >

      > To clarify, if I enable assistive devices I no longer get an error upon running the startup script (main.scpt, I believe -- I'm in a different account right now) and SS does get activated (shows up in the dock as running) but the SS window doesn't come up unless I click on the SS icon in the dock, and it clearly hasn't been positioned (it's shifted about an inch to the right.)
      >
      > I haven't tried the newer startup script under Snow Leopard. I should do that.
      >
      > Ted Lee
      > Minnetonka, MN

    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
        > > I tried enabling access to assistive devices in the accessibility pref -- the error no longer occurs and SS does get started

        More clues. With assistive devices enabled no error occurs when I run the startup applet (SS-WP). SS gets activated, but no SS window comes up. If I run the startup applet a second time, not having touched the SS icon in the dock, the SS window comes up and shortly thereafter gets repositioned. So I think there's something amiss in the script's attempting to wait until either SS starts or its window is created. I tried adding some delays or changing the delays in the script, but that didn't help. As I've said, I know essentially nothing about scripting, so I'll have to leave it in more capable hands to figure out.

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
          Thanks for the advice. As I indicated in a couple of recent posts, the only problem I'm having is with the startup script (main.scpt). Once I replaced the printing script that was in the latest version of John's install package with an earlier one I had no problem with printing. As best Ican tell, the main purpose of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen, even if you have the dock on the left. As I said in my last post, if I run the startup script twice in a row it works fine!

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

            > More clues. With assistive devices enabled no error occurs when I run the startup applet (SS-WP). SS gets activated, but no SS window comes up. If I run the startup applet a second time, not having touched the SS icon in the dock, the SS window comes up and shortly thereafter gets repositioned. So I think there's something amiss in the script's attempting to wait until either SS starts or its window is created. I tried adding some delays or changing the delays in the script, but that didn't help. As I've said, I know essentially nothing about scripting, so I'll have to leave it in more capable hands to figure out.

            When you run SheepShaver itself, by double-clicking on the app icon, does the SS screen come up?

            > As best I can tell, the main purpose
            of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen,

            It just moves the window to cover up the space left by the now-disabled OSX menu bar. But the startup app will do much more in a forthcoming update, which I hope to release in a few days or a week.

            > I replaced the printer folder action script from SS-WP 1.4.2 with the one from
            1.2.5 (which was working on the Mac Mini) and printing now works under Mountain Lion.

            I'm sorry to say I no longer have a copy of 1.2.5. Could you send me that script? I'd like to track this down.

            > OK -- Google is your friend. I did a search . . . The author of that showed a script that bracketed his window manipulation commands with a "try/end try" but I couldn't find any places to put that in the script that worked.

            Could you send me that link?

            I'm sending you a copy of the new startup app, "SheepShaver-WP". It's a little bit cleaner and does more things. Could you try it? Please delete any and all copies of the Open WP Files app from your machine first.

            Thanks,
            John R.
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
              >

              > When you run SheepShaver itself, by double-clicking on the app icon, does the SS screen come up?

              Yes -- the SS splash screen (steering wheel) comes up, disk first aid, and then wp starts. No problem.

              > > As best I can tell, the main purpose
              > of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen,
              >
              > It just moves the window to cover up the space left by the now-disabled OSX menu bar. But the startup app will do much more in a forthcoming update, which I hope to release in a few days or a week.
              >
              > > I replaced the printer folder action script from SS-WP 1.4.2 with the one from
              > 1.2.5 (which was working on the Mac Mini) and printing now works under Mountain Lion.
              >
              > I'm sorry to say I no longer have a copy of 1.2.5. Could you send me that script? I'd like to track this down.

              Yes, I'll do that.

              > > OK -- Google is your friend. I did a search . . . The author of that showed a script that bracketed his window manipulation commands with a "try/end try" but I couldn't find any places to put that in the script that worked.
              >
              > Could you send me that link?

              OK -- I'll have to search for it again (it was about a half-dozen hits down.)

              > I'm sending you a copy of the new startup app, "SheepShaver-WP". It's a little bit cleaner and does more things. Could you try it? Please delete any and all copies of the Open WP Files app from your machine first.

              Thanks. I'll give it a try (probably not until tomorrow.)

              Ted