Re: Partial success

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

      > I'm not at all sure why you think that the WPMacApp is only for running WP. It can run any Mac OS application that runs under SheepShaver, and it even has a startup option that causes it to start without running WP automatically.
      >
      > I still think you're better off with John's more heavily-tested system. I'm writing this only in order to prevent people from imagining that the WPMacApp is only for WPMac. It isn't.

      Yes, I wasn't thinking too clearly -- just as with John's system, I should have remembered that I could comment out the line in the script that starts up WP automatically (even if I hadn't known about that option) if I want to. In any case, I can't get either one to print -- but I haven't tried all the troubleshooting hints yet. One thing that is suspicious is that with John's install I do get the "cancel, print or PDF" dialogue -- which shows that the folder action script is getting triggered. What I am going to try is installing the version I have on that Mac Mini (Intel) running fine under Snow Leopard and see if that works under Mountain Lion.

      I will persevere...

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
        You don't need to comment out a line in a script. Hold down the Option key when launching the WPMacApp, and a menu appears giving you various options. Choose the one that turns off automatic startup of WP. This option "sticks" (until you change it again by following the same procedure).

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

          > You don't need to comment out a line in a script. Hold down the Option key when launching the WPMacApp, and a menu appears giving you various options. Choose the one that turns off automatic startup of WP. This option "sticks" (until you change it again by following the same procedure).

          More progress, but there's still a bug somewhere.
          I replaced the printer folder action script from SS-WP 1.4.2 with the one from 1.2.5 (which was working on the Mac Mini) and printing now works under Mountain Lion. I don't know Applescript well enough (hardly at all) to tell why the one script works and the other doesn't. On the other hand, there still is a problem with the script in the initial "SS-WP" applet. As best I can tell, the purpose of that script is to reposition the SS window when starting up SS. Anyway, if I just run that script I get the following error message: <error "System Events got an error: Access for assistive devices is disabled." number -25211>. SS does get activated but the window does not get repositioned.

          OK -- Google is your friend. I did a search and found some discussion about that error -- here's one comment: The problem is not the assistive devices. AppleScript seems to incorrectly return that error code when it tries to access windows of a process that can never have any windows (in my case it was "Google Chrome Helper").

          You need to catch the errors."

          The author of that showed a script that bracketed his window manipulation commands with a "try/end try" but I couldn't find any places to put that in the script that worked.

          I tried enabling access to assistive devices in the accessibility pref -- the error no longer occurs and SS does get started, but the SS window doesn't come up -- I have to click on the SS icon in the dock to bring it up, and it has not been repositioned.

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
        • sardisson
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
            > I tried enabling access to assistive devices in the accessibility pref -- the error no longer occurs and SS does get started

            FYI to other AppleScripters out there: any time an AppleScript uses GUI scripting, it really needs to check to make sure GUI scripting is enabled first, even if the instructions say to enable it, because people often gloss over instructions ;)

            http://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/uiscripting/ has a sample sub-routine for doing that.

            Smokey
          • sardisson
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

              > I'm not at all sure why you think that the WPMacApp is only for running WP. It can run any Mac OS application that runs under SheepShaver, and it even has a startup option that causes it to start without running WP automatically.

              I'll have to admit to being under the same impression, so thanks for clarifying that :-)

              (Perhaps if I actually used either one of the awesome tools rather than resorting to Classic on my old PowerBook, I'd be more knowledgeable :-P )

              Smokey
            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
                > > I tried enabling access to assistive devices in the accessibility pref -- the error no longer occurs and SS does get started
                >
                > FYI to other AppleScripters out there: any time an AppleScript uses GUI scripting, it really needs to check to make sure GUI scripting is enabled first, even if the instructions say to enable it, because people often gloss over instructions ;)

                To clarify, if I enable assistive devices I no longer get an error upon running the startup script (main.scpt, I believe -- I'm in a different account right now) and SS does get activated (shows up in the dock as running) but the SS window doesn't come up unless I click on the SS icon in the dock, and it clearly hasn't been positioned (it's shifted about an inch to the right.)

                I haven't tried the newer startup script under Snow Leopard. I should do that.

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN
              • darylngee
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
                  Ted,

                  I use the WPMac Device you're usig and have been doing so through two or three Mac OSX, including, now, 10.8.3. I installed the device, etc., from Ed Mendelsohn's Columbia WP site about two years ago and have no printing problems with my Macbook Air, a recent Epson 3 in 1 printer and a few problems with a much older HP printer.

                  You may have to remove all printers from your System Preferences and re-install them. At the same time, your Mac may try to install the most recent printer software, and I would let it do that.

                  I use the "print to pdf choice. This action results in a .ps file, which I then print as I would some other word processing program (I use MS Word for Mac).

                  If you cannot get SS started (I've had this problem), try restarting your computer, and then restart WP Mac, which should open SS first before opening WP.

                  If nothing else works, John R has suggested deleting WP and SS, emptying the trash, and then re-installing (you have to get rid of WP Preferences and related files elsewhere, too!).

                  I DID have, at one time, a Macbook which didn't work well with WP—but that was ages ago when the McB had a Sys. 9 emulator. However, I think you're using more recent machines.

                  I am not sure about the assistive devices you're trying to install or reinstall, but you might try removing those also and then re-installing. I've got a printer on Bluetooth as well as on USB and (same printer, different ways to access). As a last last resort, talking to Customer Service Reps (800 telephone calls) does help, sometime—either the printer company or Apple. I do not use Applescript much, if at all, in my playing with WP

                  Good luck, and let us know what works. Sorry if I am mis-interpreting what your difficulties are.

                  Daryl

                  > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
                  > > > I tried enabling access to assistive devices in the accessibility pref -- the error no longer occurs and SS does get started
                  > >
                  > > FYI to other AppleScripters out there: any time an AppleScript uses GUI scripting, it really needs to check to make sure GUI scripting is enabled first, even if the instructions say to enable it, because people often gloss over instructions ;)
                  > >

                  > To clarify, if I enable assistive devices I no longer get an error upon running the startup script (main.scpt, I believe -- I'm in a different account right now) and SS does get activated (shows up in the dock as running) but the SS window doesn't come up unless I click on the SS icon in the dock, and it clearly hasn't been positioned (it's shifted about an inch to the right.)
                  >
                  > I haven't tried the newer startup script under Snow Leopard. I should do that.
                  >
                  > Ted Lee
                  > Minnetonka, MN

                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
                    > > I tried enabling access to assistive devices in the accessibility pref -- the error no longer occurs and SS does get started

                    More clues. With assistive devices enabled no error occurs when I run the startup applet (SS-WP). SS gets activated, but no SS window comes up. If I run the startup applet a second time, not having touched the SS icon in the dock, the SS window comes up and shortly thereafter gets repositioned. So I think there's something amiss in the script's attempting to wait until either SS starts or its window is created. I tried adding some delays or changing the delays in the script, but that didn't help. As I've said, I know essentially nothing about scripting, so I'll have to leave it in more capable hands to figure out.

                    Ted Lee
                    Minnetonka, MN
                  • ted_m_p_lee
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
                      Thanks for the advice. As I indicated in a couple of recent posts, the only problem I'm having is with the startup script (main.scpt). Once I replaced the printing script that was in the latest version of John's install package with an earlier one I had no problem with printing. As best Ican tell, the main purpose of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen, even if you have the dock on the left. As I said in my last post, if I run the startup script twice in a row it works fine!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

                        > More clues. With assistive devices enabled no error occurs when I run the startup applet (SS-WP). SS gets activated, but no SS window comes up. If I run the startup applet a second time, not having touched the SS icon in the dock, the SS window comes up and shortly thereafter gets repositioned. So I think there's something amiss in the script's attempting to wait until either SS starts or its window is created. I tried adding some delays or changing the delays in the script, but that didn't help. As I've said, I know essentially nothing about scripting, so I'll have to leave it in more capable hands to figure out.

                        When you run SheepShaver itself, by double-clicking on the app icon, does the SS screen come up?

                        > As best I can tell, the main purpose
                        of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen,

                        It just moves the window to cover up the space left by the now-disabled OSX menu bar. But the startup app will do much more in a forthcoming update, which I hope to release in a few days or a week.

                        > I replaced the printer folder action script from SS-WP 1.4.2 with the one from
                        1.2.5 (which was working on the Mac Mini) and printing now works under Mountain Lion.

                        I'm sorry to say I no longer have a copy of 1.2.5. Could you send me that script? I'd like to track this down.

                        > OK -- Google is your friend. I did a search . . . The author of that showed a script that bracketed his window manipulation commands with a "try/end try" but I couldn't find any places to put that in the script that worked.

                        Could you send me that link?

                        I'm sending you a copy of the new startup app, "SheepShaver-WP". It's a little bit cleaner and does more things. Could you try it? Please delete any and all copies of the Open WP Files app from your machine first.

                        Thanks,
                        John R.
                      • ted_m_p_lee
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
                          >

                          > When you run SheepShaver itself, by double-clicking on the app icon, does the SS screen come up?

                          Yes -- the SS splash screen (steering wheel) comes up, disk first aid, and then wp starts. No problem.

                          > > As best I can tell, the main purpose
                          > of the startup script is to reposition the SS window to essentially full screen,
                          >
                          > It just moves the window to cover up the space left by the now-disabled OSX menu bar. But the startup app will do much more in a forthcoming update, which I hope to release in a few days or a week.
                          >
                          > > I replaced the printer folder action script from SS-WP 1.4.2 with the one from
                          > 1.2.5 (which was working on the Mac Mini) and printing now works under Mountain Lion.
                          >
                          > I'm sorry to say I no longer have a copy of 1.2.5. Could you send me that script? I'd like to track this down.

                          Yes, I'll do that.

                          > > OK -- Google is your friend. I did a search . . . The author of that showed a script that bracketed his window manipulation commands with a "try/end try" but I couldn't find any places to put that in the script that worked.
                          >
                          > Could you send me that link?

                          OK -- I'll have to search for it again (it was about a half-dozen hits down.)

                          > I'm sending you a copy of the new startup app, "SheepShaver-WP". It's a little bit cleaner and does more things. Could you try it? Please delete any and all copies of the Open WP Files app from your machine first.

                          Thanks. I'll give it a try (probably not until tomorrow.)

                          Ted