Re: [wpmac] Re: WP DOS on Mac

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
      WordPerfect for Mac is a very old program that ran under Mac OS 9. It will
      not run directly under Mountain Lion. What is being offered in this tread
      is a "Virtual Machine" - a piece of software that runs under Mac OS X
      (including Mountain Lion) that simulates an older Mac. That "Fake
      computer" is running OS 9 - and Word Perfect is running on top of that.

      So, technically, no, WordPerfect for Mac will not run on Mountain Lion.
      However, using the software linked below, you will be able to run
      WordPerfect for Mac on your Mountain Lion machine. There is just a couple
      of layers to go through. The link has WordPerfect already installed on the
      virtual machine. It has everything you need to run it.

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

      If you are familiar at all with DOSBox, or with video game emulators, it's
      a very similar concept. Using Software to approximate hardware. Actually
      VMWare and Parallels are pretty much the same thing, although they tend to
      replicate hardware that is basically the same as the real hardware you are
      using.

      *- Chad W. Smith*

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
        No idea about the DosBox question, but WPMac does not run under Mountain
        Lion. However, Sheepshaver will run under Mountain Lion and John and Ed
        have created two installs that allow WPMac to run seamlessly with this
        virtual environment. That being said, WPMac is very different from WP
        for Dos or WP for Windows. I have used all three in my time and all
        three are excellent, but if you are used to the Windows environment and
        have WP files created in WPWin, you may find running Windows in
        Parallels of VM Fusion would be the best transition. In conclusion,
        WPMac was by far the most stylish iteration of the WP family.
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        Head of the School of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 16, 2013
          WP8 is a Windows program, not DOS, so it won't run under DOSBox.