Re: [wpmac] WPDOS under OS X (was: Re: WPMacApp - further revised)

  • Peter Chisteckoff
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 15 2:07 PM
      I have a copy of WP suite 8.  Will it work under the DOSBox based system ?  I have Mountain Lion as my OS.
      Pete C

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 15 2:11 PM
        Didn't know there was a WP for Mac program.  Will this program run on Mountain Lion?Pdete C

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 15 9:59 PM
          WordPerfect for Mac is a very old program that ran under Mac OS 9. It will
          not run directly under Mountain Lion. What is being offered in this tread
          is a "Virtual Machine" - a piece of software that runs under Mac OS X
          (including Mountain Lion) that simulates an older Mac. That "Fake
          computer" is running OS 9 - and Word Perfect is running on top of that.

          So, technically, no, WordPerfect for Mac will not run on Mountain Lion.
          However, using the software linked below, you will be able to run
          WordPerfect for Mac on your Mountain Lion machine. There is just a couple
          of layers to go through. The link has WordPerfect already installed on the
          virtual machine. It has everything you need to run it.

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

          If you are familiar at all with DOSBox, or with video game emulators, it's
          a very similar concept. Using Software to approximate hardware. Actually
          VMWare and Parallels are pretty much the same thing, although they tend to
          replicate hardware that is basically the same as the real hardware you are
          using.

          *- Chad W. Smith*

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 15 10:56 PM
            No idea about the DosBox question, but WPMac does not run under Mountain
            Lion. However, Sheepshaver will run under Mountain Lion and John and Ed
            have created two installs that allow WPMac to run seamlessly with this
            virtual environment. That being said, WPMac is very different from WP
            for Dos or WP for Windows. I have used all three in my time and all
            three are excellent, but if you are used to the Windows environment and
            have WP files created in WPWin, you may find running Windows in
            Parallels of VM Fusion would be the best transition. In conclusion,
            WPMac was by far the most stylish iteration of the WP family.
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law
            Head of the School of Law
            School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            University of Essex
            Wivenhoe Park
            Colchester
            CO4 3SQ

            Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            essex.ac.uk)

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 16 5:08 AM
              WP8 is a Windows program, not DOS, so it won't run under DOSBox.