[wpmac] Re: WP DOS on Mac

  • rdurlock
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 14, 2013
      I use WP 5.1 for DOS on my MACbook Pro without any hitches. I can even print to my wireless printer using all formatting commands! DOSBox works great! I love my WP 5.1 and PlanPerfect working happily on my MAC! Take that Bill Gates!

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 14, 2013
        I wouldn't want to forget another important contribution Ed has made to WPMac, that being the WPLO Converter. The ability to convert documents to and from Microsoft Word is mission-critical for any word processor, regardless of platform. The WPLO Converter is a great piece of work, and I'm grateful to have it. Thanks Ed.

        John R.
      • John Kaufmann
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 14, 2013
          In a message dated 2013-0414 23:18 -0500, rdurlock wrote:

          > I use WP 5.1 for DOS on my MACbook Pro without any hitches. I can even print to my wireless printer using all formatting commands! DOSBox works great! I love my WP 5.1 and PlanPerfect working happily on my MAC! Take that Bill Gates!

          <sigh> Two decades later, still the fastest and most elegant word processor and
          spreadsheet combination ever seen. It's still painful to think of what might
          have been but for a few - very few - idiots in critical places at what was then
          WP Corp. Anyway, nice to hear someone else with the same reaction.

          John K
        • Peter Chisteckoff
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
            I have a copy of WP suite 8.  Will it work under the DOSBox based system ?  I have Mountain Lion as my OS.
            Pete C

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
              Didn't know there was a WP for Mac program.  Will this program run on Mountain Lion?Pdete C

              ________________________________
              At 22:33 +0000 13.04.2013, userbimbob wrote:

              >i'm wondering how similar the DOS version of WordPerfect is to the Mac
              >version?
              >
              >i've got Boxer to run another legacy app, and if the DOS version
              >supports fonts and has the show/reveal codes feature...
              >
              >and is it easy to find the DOS version, i've read somewhere it was
              >friendlier than using the win versions...

              I first started using WordPerfect on a DOS machine.  I subsequently
              bought a Mac for use at home, and I bought the Mac version of
              WordPerfect.  The DOS program could read the Mac WP files seamlessly,
              as I recall, and vice versa.

              WP for the Mac was very Mac-like.  WP for DOS was, well, DOS-like.
              If you know the commands, or had the template for the function keys,
              it was a fine word-processing program.  WP for the Mac was a
              pleasure.  Lovely graphic interface, very intuitive.

              Still using WP for the Mac, thanks to folks here.
              --
              John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
              Butler, Maryland  21023-0128
              Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
              Member: NY; DC; and USPTO Bars

            • Chad Smith
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
                WordPerfect for Mac is a very old program that ran under Mac OS 9. It will
                not run directly under Mountain Lion. What is being offered in this tread
                is a "Virtual Machine" - a piece of software that runs under Mac OS X
                (including Mountain Lion) that simulates an older Mac. That "Fake
                computer" is running OS 9 - and Word Perfect is running on top of that.

                So, technically, no, WordPerfect for Mac will not run on Mountain Lion.
                However, using the software linked below, you will be able to run
                WordPerfect for Mac on your Mountain Lion machine. There is just a couple
                of layers to go through. The link has WordPerfect already installed on the
                virtual machine. It has everything you need to run it.

                http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

                If you are familiar at all with DOSBox, or with video game emulators, it's
                a very similar concept. Using Software to approximate hardware. Actually
                VMWare and Parallels are pretty much the same thing, although they tend to
                replicate hardware that is basically the same as the real hardware you are
                using.

                *- Chad W. Smith*

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
                  No idea about the DosBox question, but WPMac does not run under Mountain
                  Lion. However, Sheepshaver will run under Mountain Lion and John and Ed
                  have created two installs that allow WPMac to run seamlessly with this
                  virtual environment. That being said, WPMac is very different from WP
                  for Dos or WP for Windows. I have used all three in my time and all
                  three are excellent, but if you are used to the Windows environment and
                  have WP files created in WPWin, you may find running Windows in
                  Parallels of VM Fusion would be the best transition. In conclusion,
                  WPMac was by far the most stylish iteration of the WP family.
                  Geoff Gilbert
                  Professor of Law
                  Head of the School of Law
                  School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                  University of Essex
                  Wivenhoe Park
                  Colchester
                  CO4 3SQ

                  Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                  Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                  essex.ac.uk)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 16, 2013
                    WP8 is a Windows program, not DOS, so it won't run under DOSBox.