Re: WPMacApp - further revised

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
      That's all I needed to hear - thank you! I enjoy fiddling with the system and making it work, but I don't actually use it for anything, and if no one else were using it, then I wouldn't have an excuse for spending time on it...

    • jv414@att.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
        I certainly appreciate it, and no, it isn't "clutter." Please keep up the good work.

        Jim

        > I've made a few small improvements in my WPMacApp system that runs SheepShaver and WPMac (and is based on John's SheepShaver-WP system). Same download link as before:
        >
        > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg
        >
        > I work on this mostly for relaxation and because I learn a lot about Applescript in the process, but I don't use it, because I prefer WordPerfect for DOS. Does anyone actually use the WPMacApp? If so, I'll gladly continue improving it, but if no one actually uses it, I may just be cluttering up this forum by posting news about updates.

      • userbimbob
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
          i'm wondering how similar the DOS version of WordPerfect is to the Mac
          version?

          i've got Boxer to run another legacy app, and if the DOS version
          supports fonts and has the show/reveal codes feature...

          and is it easy to find the DOS version, i've read somewhere it was
          friendlier than using the win versions...

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
            Ed, you have done some very high quality development that would be of interest to anyone who uses SheepShaver, not just for WordPerfect. I sure hope you stay with it.

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jv414@..." <jvoelzow@...> wrote:

            > I certainly appreciate it, and no, it isn't "clutter." Please keep up the good work.
            >
            > Jim

            > > I've made a few small improvements in my WPMacApp system that runs SheepShaver and WPMac (and is based on John's SheepShaver-WP system). Same download link as before:
            > >
            > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg
            > >
            > > I work on this mostly for relaxation and because I learn a lot about Applescript in the process, but I don't use it, because I prefer WordPerfect for DOS. Does anyone actually use the WPMacApp? If so, I'll gladly continue improving it, but if no one actually uses it, I may just be cluttering up this forum by posting news about updates.

          • J.J. McVeigh
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
              At 22:33 +0000 13.04.2013, userbimbob wrote:

              >i'm wondering how similar the DOS version of WordPerfect is to the Mac
              >version?
              >
              >i've got Boxer to run another legacy app, and if the DOS version
              >supports fonts and has the show/reveal codes feature...
              >
              >and is it easy to find the DOS version, i've read somewhere it was
              >friendlier than using the win versions...

              I first started using WordPerfect on a DOS machine. I subsequently
              bought a Mac for use at home, and I bought the Mac version of
              WordPerfect. The DOS program could read the Mac WP files seamlessly,
              as I recall, and vice versa.

              WP for the Mac was very Mac-like. WP for DOS was, well, DOS-like.
              If you know the commands, or had the template for the function keys,
              it was a fine word-processing program. WP for the Mac was a
              pleasure. Lovely graphic interface, very intuitive.

              Still using WP for the Mac, thanks to folks here.
              --
              John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
              Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
                I use WP Mac regularly and love it, whether it's Ed's "fooling" with it or John's work. Please don't stop tinkering and improving it, any of you. Maybe one of these days, someone will put it into the mainstream again. In the meantime, please keep it and keep at it, with my thanks and appreciation.

                Daryl Chinn
                Poet, Teacher, Editor

                > > > I work on this mostly for relaxation and because I learn a lot about Applescript in the process, but I don't use it, because I prefer WordPerfect for DOS. Does anyone actually use the WPMacApp? If so, I'll gladly continue improving it, but if no one actually uses it, I may just be cluttering up this forum by posting news about updates.

              • rdurlock
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I just wanted to thank you for your efforts and let you know I still use WPMacApp. I have been a WP fan since the beginning and have all DOS versions and use the WPMacApp and WP5.1 using DOSbox on my MACbook.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 13, 2013
                    Ed
                    The intellectual exercise of fooling around is often pleasurable in and
                    of itself, even if there is no personal gain. Its value is multiplied
                    manifold when it provides so much benefit to so many others who could
                    not function without it. Keep twiddlin'
                    Geoff Gilbert
                    Professor of Law
                    Head of the School of Law
                    School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                    University of Essex
                    Wivenhoe Park
                    Colchester
                    CO4 3SQ

                    Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                    Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                    essex.ac.uk)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 14, 2013
                      Many thanks for the good words. If you're using WPDOS 5.1 under DOSBox, you might try my customized DOSBox-based system for running WPDOS on the Mac. It prints to the default OS X printer, creates PDF files, transfers data via the clipboard, and lets you double-click on a document to open it in WPDOS. Details here:

                      http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpdosmac-dosbox.html

                      It's what I actually use when I work on WP files on a Mac, so I'm always grateful for suggestions for improvements. (Also, with this system, it's easy to create an Automator service that adds "Open in WPDOSBox" to the contextual menu of files, so that I can open any WP file with WPDOS, no matter what the file's extension might be.)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 14, 2013
                        I use WP 5.1 for DOS on my MACbook Pro without any hitches. I can even print to my wireless printer using all formatting commands! DOSBox works great! I love my WP 5.1 and PlanPerfect working happily on my MAC! Take that Bill Gates!

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 14, 2013
                          I wouldn't want to forget another important contribution Ed has made to WPMac, that being the WPLO Converter. The ability to convert documents to and from Microsoft Word is mission-critical for any word processor, regardless of platform. The WPLO Converter is a great piece of work, and I'm grateful to have it. Thanks Ed.

                          John R.
                        • John Kaufmann
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 14, 2013
                            In a message dated 2013-0414 23:18 -0500, rdurlock wrote:

                            > I use WP 5.1 for DOS on my MACbook Pro without any hitches. I can even print to my wireless printer using all formatting commands! DOSBox works great! I love my WP 5.1 and PlanPerfect working happily on my MAC! Take that Bill Gates!

                            <sigh> Two decades later, still the fastest and most elegant word processor and
                            spreadsheet combination ever seen. It's still painful to think of what might
                            have been but for a few - very few - idiots in critical places at what was then
                            WP Corp. Anyway, nice to hear someone else with the same reaction.

                            John K
                          • Peter Chisteckoff
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
                              I have a copy of WP suite 8.  Will it work under the DOSBox based system ?  I have Mountain Lion as my OS.
                              Pete C

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
                                Didn't know there was a WP for Mac program.  Will this program run on Mountain Lion?Pdete C

                                ________________________________
                                At 22:33 +0000 13.04.2013, userbimbob wrote:

                                >i'm wondering how similar the DOS version of WordPerfect is to the Mac
                                >version?
                                >
                                >i've got Boxer to run another legacy app, and if the DOS version
                                >supports fonts and has the show/reveal codes feature...
                                >
                                >and is it easy to find the DOS version, i've read somewhere it was
                                >friendlier than using the win versions...

                                I first started using WordPerfect on a DOS machine.  I subsequently
                                bought a Mac for use at home, and I bought the Mac version of
                                WordPerfect.  The DOS program could read the Mac WP files seamlessly,
                                as I recall, and vice versa.

                                WP for the Mac was very Mac-like.  WP for DOS was, well, DOS-like.
                                If you know the commands, or had the template for the function keys,
                                it was a fine word-processing program.  WP for the Mac was a
                                pleasure.  Lovely graphic interface, very intuitive.

                                Still using WP for the Mac, thanks to folks here.
                                --
                                John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                                Butler, Maryland  21023-0128
                                Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
                                Member: NY; DC; and USPTO Bars

                              • Chad Smith
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
                                  WordPerfect for Mac is a very old program that ran under Mac OS 9. It will
                                  not run directly under Mountain Lion. What is being offered in this tread
                                  is a "Virtual Machine" - a piece of software that runs under Mac OS X
                                  (including Mountain Lion) that simulates an older Mac. That "Fake
                                  computer" is running OS 9 - and Word Perfect is running on top of that.

                                  So, technically, no, WordPerfect for Mac will not run on Mountain Lion.
                                  However, using the software linked below, you will be able to run
                                  WordPerfect for Mac on your Mountain Lion machine. There is just a couple
                                  of layers to go through. The link has WordPerfect already installed on the
                                  virtual machine. It has everything you need to run it.

                                  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

                                  If you are familiar at all with DOSBox, or with video game emulators, it's
                                  a very similar concept. Using Software to approximate hardware. Actually
                                  VMWare and Parallels are pretty much the same thing, although they tend to
                                  replicate hardware that is basically the same as the real hardware you are
                                  using.

                                  *- Chad W. Smith*

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 15, 2013
                                    No idea about the DosBox question, but WPMac does not run under Mountain
                                    Lion. However, Sheepshaver will run under Mountain Lion and John and Ed
                                    have created two installs that allow WPMac to run seamlessly with this
                                    virtual environment. That being said, WPMac is very different from WP
                                    for Dos or WP for Windows. I have used all three in my time and all
                                    three are excellent, but if you are used to the Windows environment and
                                    have WP files created in WPWin, you may find running Windows in
                                    Parallels of VM Fusion would be the best transition. In conclusion,
                                    WPMac was by far the most stylish iteration of the WP family.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 16, 2013
                                      WP8 is a Windows program, not DOS, so it won't run under DOSBox.