Re: Problems

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6 1:40 PM
      > 2. Trying to double click open a WP file while in OSX gives the interesting
      error box.... "xxxfile" is not in your SheepShaver/Basilisk shared folder
      ("Jazz:users:jrethorst:Documents:"), so I can't open it.
      > I presume this is a holdover from your setup. Can I change this to go find my
      shared folder? FWIW, the file in question IS in my Unix disk. If I go into SS
      first, and then double click on the file, it opens fine.

      I'm astonished that I clearly forgot to recompile the Open WP Files app before releasing it. Apologies, but double-clicking Open WP Files fixes it.

      This will have a better fix in SheepShaver-WP Install 1.5, which I think I can release in the next couple of days. There are many improvements.

      > 3. Printing doesn't work. It goes through the two SAVE windows, maybe makes
      the ps file, but no option to print or PDF, and no effect. Any thoughts?

      Printing uses folder action scripts, which are less than reliable when first set up, at least on Snow Leopard and earlier. The solution is to control-click on any folder and go down the menu to Services, thence to Folder Action Setup. Cancel the list of scripts that appears, and see whether there's a folder named "SS > OSX" in the list of folders with actions, to which is attached a script named "SheepShaver Print-PDF Script 1.4.1", and that folder actions are enabled. If so, a restart should fix the folder action. If not, reinstall.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6 2:52 PM
        Another sometimes-useful way of getting folder action scripts to work is to delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FolderActions.plist or (depending on your OS X version) com.apple.FolderActionsSetup.plist, and then restart. That works for me when folder action scripts stop working.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6 3:56 PM
          Good to know!

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6 4:03 PM
            Actually, at least in my setup, the Laserwriter 8 driver in SheepShaver makes a PS (postscript) file. The printing script then presents a dialog to the user, asking whether to print the file or make a PDF document. If you click Print, the Printer Setup Utility opens the ps file, i.e. prints the document to paper. It would work as well to make a PDF file, open that in Preview (as the printing script does) and then print from Preview. Just an extra step.

            John R.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7 6:40 AM
              That's essentially the way my WPMacApp works (because the WPMacApp is essentially a variation on John's SheepShaver/WP setup): When you "print" in WP, you get presented with two dialog boxes; press Enter at each one; after a few seconds, your document prints on the OS X default printer. As with John's system, you never need to click on a .PS file.

              In my WPMacApp setup, you can create PDF files by using a macro in WP. Or you can hold down the option key when launching the WPMacApp and change the defaults so that, when you print, you get a prompt from OS X asking if you want to print to a printer or create a PDF file. That's essentially the same as John's system, and uses a folder action script based on one he wrote.