Re: Problems

  • darylngee
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
      Steven, I don't have 10.8, but I'll suggest these possibilities:

      #1: Sheepsaver has a Preferences file accessible from Sheepsaver [top left of Mac screen] / Preferences / Audio.Video. From here you can lower the numbers on screen to reduce the full screen size. I've played around with his and gotten some interesting results, and right now, on my Macbook Air, it's set on 896 Width / 672 Height. I may change it because it's a bit small, but not now.

      2. When you ask a Sheepsaver WP file to print, it won't do it. What you get it a window that says, essentially, what format do you want to save to, pdf or...? If you choose the pdf rout, it asks you to name the file, and it saves as a ps file. The ps file is actually a pdf-like file. If you save it with that suffix plus a name (e.g., test file.ps), it will save that file. Then open it—a pdf will appear—and print from OSX to your printer (you have to choose a printer if you have more than one).

      3. Sometimes my Sheepsaver/WP has trouble opening—I won't be specific here—so I end up restarting my computer, and then I click open the WP / Sheepsaver application, and things are fine. I have some old WP files created under some original WP versions, and I have to use WP to open them (instead of clicking on them), but I have mixed word processing files among my WP files, and that isn't usually a problem.

      Hope these suggestions work. Let us know. I'm going to dive into 10.8, but it usually takes a few days to get used to a new OSX, even if it's a Mac, so I have to have some undistracted time.

      Daryl

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
        > 2. Trying to double click open a WP file while in OSX gives the interesting
        error box.... "xxxfile" is not in your SheepShaver/Basilisk shared folder
        ("Jazz:users:jrethorst:Documents:"), so I can't open it.
        > I presume this is a holdover from your setup. Can I change this to go find my
        shared folder? FWIW, the file in question IS in my Unix disk. If I go into SS
        first, and then double click on the file, it opens fine.

        I'm astonished that I clearly forgot to recompile the Open WP Files app before releasing it. Apologies, but double-clicking Open WP Files fixes it.

        This will have a better fix in SheepShaver-WP Install 1.5, which I think I can release in the next couple of days. There are many improvements.

        > 3. Printing doesn't work. It goes through the two SAVE windows, maybe makes
        the ps file, but no option to print or PDF, and no effect. Any thoughts?

        Printing uses folder action scripts, which are less than reliable when first set up, at least on Snow Leopard and earlier. The solution is to control-click on any folder and go down the menu to Services, thence to Folder Action Setup. Cancel the list of scripts that appears, and see whether there's a folder named "SS > OSX" in the list of folders with actions, to which is attached a script named "SheepShaver Print-PDF Script 1.4.1", and that folder actions are enabled. If so, a restart should fix the folder action. If not, reinstall.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
          Another sometimes-useful way of getting folder action scripts to work is to delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FolderActions.plist or (depending on your OS X version) com.apple.FolderActionsSetup.plist, and then restart. That works for me when folder action scripts stop working.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
            Good to know!

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
              Actually, at least in my setup, the Laserwriter 8 driver in SheepShaver makes a PS (postscript) file. The printing script then presents a dialog to the user, asking whether to print the file or make a PDF document. If you click Print, the Printer Setup Utility opens the ps file, i.e. prints the document to paper. It would work as well to make a PDF file, open that in Preview (as the printing script does) and then print from Preview. Just an extra step.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7, 2013
                That's essentially the way my WPMacApp works (because the WPMacApp is essentially a variation on John's SheepShaver/WP setup): When you "print" in WP, you get presented with two dialog boxes; press Enter at each one; after a few seconds, your document prints on the OS X default printer. As with John's system, you never need to click on a .PS file.

                In my WPMacApp setup, you can create PDF files by using a macro in WP. Or you can hold down the option key when launching the WPMacApp and change the defaults so that, when you print, you get a prompt from OS X asking if you want to print to a printer or create a PDF file. That's essentially the same as John's system, and uses a folder action script based on one he wrote.