Re: [wpmac] installing 9.0.4 in sheepshaver in OS 10.7

  • C.W. Betts
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29 11:01 AM
      Due to changes in Lion, SheepShaver has to be root in order to mount a CD Disk. As for making a CD image, you can either clone the whole disk to a file, or only the partition that has the install file. Make sure, whichever route you take, to lock/make unwriteable so that the OS doesn't try writing to it.
      On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:54 AM, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...> wrote:

      > I'll be getting a new MacBook Air pretty soon and am preparing for the changes I'll have to make. One of them will be to install one of the WordPerfect/SheepShaver packages (I haven't decided which, but since I have a few other ancient "classic" apps to run, I probably won't use the "appliance" version.) In any case, I have a copy of OS 9.0.4 that I'd like to install in the SS volume. Somewhere in browsing through the files here, possibly following some link, I ran across a comment that I recall as saying to do that kind of install on 10.7 (or later) I would have to use a disk image and not a real disk. I can't find that comment again -- does anyone remember where it would have been or how I'd find it?
      >
      > Ted Lee
      > Minnetonka, MN
    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30 12:24 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "C.W. Betts" <Computers57@...> wrote:

        > Due to changes in Lion, SheepShaver has to be root in order to mount a CD Disk. As for making a CD image, you can either clone the whole disk to a file, or only the partition that has the install file. Make sure, whichever route you take, to lock/make unwriteable so that the OS doesn't try writing to it.

        Thanks all for responding. For completeness I'll let you know how it goes. (I'm expecting to get the new machine in about a month.)

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30 3:02 PM
          Edward
          Where would you mount/open the disk image. In sheepshaver disk or Unix disk?
          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law
          Head of the School of Law
          School of Law and Human Rights Centre
          University of Essex
          Wivenhoe Park
          Colchester
          CO4 3SQ

          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
          essex.ac.uk)

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30 8:10 PM
            The complete procedure is described here:

            http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup

            The emaculation.com forum is the best place to ask for basic SheepShaver questions that aren't directly related to WordPerfect.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31 12:22 AM
              Thanks