installing 9.0.4 in sheepshaver in OS 10.7

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
      I'll be getting a new MacBook Air pretty soon and am preparing for the changes I'll have to make. One of them will be to install one of the WordPerfect/SheepShaver packages (I haven't decided which, but since I have a few other ancient "classic" apps to run, I probably won't use the "appliance" version.) In any case, I have a copy of OS 9.0.4 that I'd like to install in the SS volume. Somewhere in browsing through the files here, possibly following some link, I ran across a comment that I recall as saying to do that kind of install on 10.7 (or later) I would have to use a disk image and not a real disk. I can't find that comment again -- does anyone remember where it would have been or how I'd find it?

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
    • C.W. Betts
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
        Due to changes in Lion, SheepShaver has to be root in order to mount a CD Disk. As for making a CD image, you can either clone the whole disk to a file, or only the partition that has the install file. Make sure, whichever route you take, to lock/make unwriteable so that the OS doesn't try writing to it.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
          Ted
          With an Air, even if you attach a USB cd drive, I am not certain SS
          could find it with Mountain Lion. I may be wrong, though.
          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law
          Head of the School of Law
          School of Law and Human Rights Centre
          University of Essex
          Wivenhoe Park
          Colchester
          CO4 3SQ

          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
          essex.ac.uk)

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
            Under Mountain Lion, SheepShaver cannot see a real, physical CD; it can only see a disk image. It makes no difference whether the physical CD is in an internal drive or a USB drive, on a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, or on any other kind of Mac. It's Mountain Lion, not the hardware, that makes it impossible for SheepShaver to see the physical CD.

            Under Mountain Lion, it takes about two minutes to make a CD image from an actual CD, so the inconvenience is very small.

            > Ted
            > With an Air, even if you attach a USB cd drive, I am not certain SS
            > could find it with Mountain Lion. I may be wrong, though.
            > Geoff
            > --
            > Geoff Gilbert
            > Professor of Law
            > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
            > Head of the School of Law
            > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            > University of Essex
            > Wivenhoe Park
            > Colchester
            > CO4 3SQ
            >
            > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
            > essex.ac.uk)
            >

            > > ted_m_p_lee <mailto:tmplee@...>
            > > 29 March 2013 17:54
            > > I'll be getting a new MacBook Air pretty soon and am preparing for the
            > > changes I'll have to make. One of them will be to install one of the
            > > WordPerfect/SheepShaver packages (I haven't decided which, but since I
            > > have a few other ancient "classic" apps to run, I probably won't use
            > > the "appliance" version.) In any case, I have a copy of OS 9.0.4 that
            > > I'd like to install in the SS volume. Somewhere in browsing through
            > > the files here, possibly following some link, I ran across a comment
            > > that I recall as saying to do that kind of install on 10.7 (or later)
            > > I would have to use a disk image and not a real disk. I can't find
            > > that comment again -- does anyone remember where it would have been or
            > > how I'd find it?
            > >
            > > Ted Lee
            > > Minnetonka, MN

            > > .

          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "C.W. Betts" <Computers57@...> wrote:

              > Due to changes in Lion, SheepShaver has to be root in order to mount a CD Disk. As for making a CD image, you can either clone the whole disk to a file, or only the partition that has the install file. Make sure, whichever route you take, to lock/make unwriteable so that the OS doesn't try writing to it.

              Thanks all for responding. For completeness I'll let you know how it goes. (I'm expecting to get the new machine in about a month.)

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
                Edward
                Where would you mount/open the disk image. In sheepshaver disk or Unix disk?

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
                  The complete procedure is described here:

                  http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup

                  The emaculation.com forum is the best place to ask for basic SheepShaver questions that aren't directly related to WordPerfect.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
                    Thanks