Re: Macro question: place variable in Mac OS clipboard?

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
      I don't know of a way to do that. But again (see last post), I'd try to generate a value in Applescript and pass that to WP instead of the other way around.

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
        That's exactly what I did in the version that I posted yesterday. I used an Applescript to prompt the user for a default zoom level; then I save it to the clipboard so that WP can copy it from the clipboard to a global variable, which is used by the OnOpenDocument macro (and a New Document Template is in the Templates folder so that new documents get the same zoom level).

        The same Applescript saves a text file that contains the zoom-level number.

        An OnStartup macro that runs when WP starts up runs an Applescript that reads the text file for the zoom-level number and copies it to the clipboard - so that the WP macro can copy the number from the clipboard to a global variable. It seems to work.

        Again, this is entirely your idea - I just banged my forehead on the trackpad until the code seemed to work.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
          Looks like it would work fine. I'd probably steer clear of the clipboard and pass the value to WP with a neutral (and in this case often helpful) macro like Redraw, adding a parameter to it that WP accepts as a script variable. Script variables 1-50 are global in scope.

          set theZoom to text returned of (display dialog "Enter zoom level:") etc.
          tell app "WordPerfect" to do script {"Redraw",theZoom)

          placing the numeric string into ScriptVar01.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
            s/b

            set theZoom to text returned of (display dialog "Enter zoom level:") etc.
            tell app "WordPerfect" to do script {"Redraw",theZoom}

            with curly brackets around script name and parameters.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
              Thank you - a much better solution than mine. Will implement later...

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                Thanks for this suggestion. I've now implemented your suggestion, and left the clipboard untouched, which I wanted to do all along. New version posted now.

                So basically this code is entirely yours. Thanks again.