Re: Macro question: place variable in Mac OS clipboard?

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
      No idea as to specifics, except that the clipboard can be complicated. It exists as a record, so coercions such as (clipboard as string) are often useful.

      I also don't know whether WP's absolutely first-generation support for Applescript could play a role. I know that property values don't update in a script written to update them, when the script is run with Execute Apple Script.

      For a few reasons, while I see the combination of Applescript and WP macros as a very powerful scripting environment, I like to code the 'big picture' in Applescript, getting only a little bit from WP, e.g. text of document 1, and then work using a largely Applescript structure that sends Do Script commands to WP (you can also send 50 variables to WP, while if a WP macro calls an Applescript there's no way except the clipboard to pass data).

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
        I don't know of a way to do that. But again (see last post), I'd try to generate a value in Applescript and pass that to WP instead of the other way around.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
          That's exactly what I did in the version that I posted yesterday. I used an Applescript to prompt the user for a default zoom level; then I save it to the clipboard so that WP can copy it from the clipboard to a global variable, which is used by the OnOpenDocument macro (and a New Document Template is in the Templates folder so that new documents get the same zoom level).

          The same Applescript saves a text file that contains the zoom-level number.

          An OnStartup macro that runs when WP starts up runs an Applescript that reads the text file for the zoom-level number and copies it to the clipboard - so that the WP macro can copy the number from the clipboard to a global variable. It seems to work.

          Again, this is entirely your idea - I just banged my forehead on the trackpad until the code seemed to work.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
            Looks like it would work fine. I'd probably steer clear of the clipboard and pass the value to WP with a neutral (and in this case often helpful) macro like Redraw, adding a parameter to it that WP accepts as a script variable. Script variables 1-50 are global in scope.

            set theZoom to text returned of (display dialog "Enter zoom level:") etc.
            tell app "WordPerfect" to do script {"Redraw",theZoom)

            placing the numeric string into ScriptVar01.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
              s/b

              set theZoom to text returned of (display dialog "Enter zoom level:") etc.
              tell app "WordPerfect" to do script {"Redraw",theZoom}

              with curly brackets around script name and parameters.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                Thank you - a much better solution than mine. Will implement later...

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                  Thanks for this suggestion. I've now implemented your suggestion, and left the clipboard untouched, which I wanted to do all along. New version posted now.

                  So basically this code is entirely yours. Thanks again.