Re: [wpmac] Macro question: place variable in Mac OS clipboard?

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
      John answers all such questions in his Scripting Guide, which is essential reading on these matters, and includes material that, as far as I can tell, is not documented anywhere else.

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
        Here's something strange. The following script works when run from the Script Editor:

        -----
        try
        tell application "WordPerfect" to set frontWindow to name of window 1
        on error errmsg
        tell me to activate
        display dialog errmsg
        error number -128
        end try
        tell me to activate
        display dialog frontWindow
        -----

        But if I use an "Execute Apple Script" command in a WP macro to run the script, then nothing happens. It seems to exit silently.

        However, the following variation does seem to work when I use an "Execute Apple Script" command in a macro to launch it:

        -----
        try
        tell application "WordPerfect" to set frontWindow to name of window 1
        on error errmsg
        tell me to activate
        display dialog errmsg
        error number -128
        end try
        set the clipboard to frontWindow
        set pdfName to string of (the clipboard as record)
        tell me to activate
        display dialog pdfName
        ------

        What on earth is going on here??

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
          Now that you've answered one question, may I bother you with another:

          Can I use an AppleScript to get the value of a Global Variable in WordPerfect?

          In other words, is it possible to have an AppleScript that says something like this:

          tell application "WordPerfect"
          set myVar to GlobalVar26
          end tell
          tell me to activate
          display dialog myVar

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
            No idea as to specifics, except that the clipboard can be complicated. It exists as a record, so coercions such as (clipboard as string) are often useful.

            I also don't know whether WP's absolutely first-generation support for Applescript could play a role. I know that property values don't update in a script written to update them, when the script is run with Execute Apple Script.

            For a few reasons, while I see the combination of Applescript and WP macros as a very powerful scripting environment, I like to code the 'big picture' in Applescript, getting only a little bit from WP, e.g. text of document 1, and then work using a largely Applescript structure that sends Do Script commands to WP (you can also send 50 variables to WP, while if a WP macro calls an Applescript there's no way except the clipboard to pass data).

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
              I don't know of a way to do that. But again (see last post), I'd try to generate a value in Applescript and pass that to WP instead of the other way around.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
                That's exactly what I did in the version that I posted yesterday. I used an Applescript to prompt the user for a default zoom level; then I save it to the clipboard so that WP can copy it from the clipboard to a global variable, which is used by the OnOpenDocument macro (and a New Document Template is in the Templates folder so that new documents get the same zoom level).

                The same Applescript saves a text file that contains the zoom-level number.

                An OnStartup macro that runs when WP starts up runs an Applescript that reads the text file for the zoom-level number and copies it to the clipboard - so that the WP macro can copy the number from the clipboard to a global variable. It seems to work.

                Again, this is entirely your idea - I just banged my forehead on the trackpad until the code seemed to work.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                  Looks like it would work fine. I'd probably steer clear of the clipboard and pass the value to WP with a neutral (and in this case often helpful) macro like Redraw, adding a parameter to it that WP accepts as a script variable. Script variables 1-50 are global in scope.

                  set theZoom to text returned of (display dialog "Enter zoom level:") etc.
                  tell app "WordPerfect" to do script {"Redraw",theZoom)

                  placing the numeric string into ScriptVar01.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                    s/b

                    set theZoom to text returned of (display dialog "Enter zoom level:") etc.
                    tell app "WordPerfect" to do script {"Redraw",theZoom}

                    with curly brackets around script name and parameters.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                      Thank you - a much better solution than mine. Will implement later...

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                        Thanks for this suggestion. I've now implemented your suggestion, and left the clipboard untouched, which I wanted to do all along. New version posted now.

                        So basically this code is entirely yours. Thanks again.