Re: Basic How to convert a Word Perfect (.wpd) file to MAC Microsoft Word

  • david_st.amand
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
      Geoff,

      Thanks. Libre Office worked.
      Next question (yes I'm getting greedy), is there a way to batch convert the documents (I have probably a thousand documents). I can live with the one at a time as I need them but thought I might as well ask.

      Thanks again.

      Dave

      > Dave
      > Do you want to convert .wpd files to MS Word? If so, Libre Office is
      > probably the best as long as the files are not too complex.
      > Alternatively, go to the Files section here, download John's or Ed's
      > SheepShaver installation app and then you can run WPMac from almost
      > fifteen years ago. From there, you can edit and then Save As ...
      > Geoff
      > --
      > Geoff Gilbert
    • Paul Cowan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
        On Monday 25 February 2013, david_st.amand wrote:

        > Thanks. Libre Office worked.
        > Next question (yes I'm getting greedy), is there a way to batch convert
        > the documents (I have probably a thousand documents).

        Check here :

        <http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/>

        -- libwpd is the engine LibreOffice et al. use to convert.

        cheers

        --

        P. (^_^)

        mailto:officewallah@...

      • arvaess
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
          Try 'shift-click' to select ~ a dozen documents then drag the 'trial batch' onto the Libre Office icon or File>Open. If this works, you can increase size of the 'batch' until your computer begins to 'choke'. Others may have a more focused response, but this 'k-i-s-s' Mac approach worked in an analogous situation with old WP-Mac documents prior to the current iteration of Libre Office. Like going to the throne, be certain you take along some reading material.
          May the Power of Rethorst be with you whence a need to modify, edit, etc.
          Bill Hunter.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
            The WPLO Converter lets you drop WP files on it and converts them to OS X. (It uses LibreOffice internally.) You can drop multiple files on it. Downl a oad from here:

            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpfilesinosx.html#wplo

            Also, by searching the web, you can find information on command-line conversion using LibreOffice. Try one of the LibreOffice or OpenOffice.org forums for details. Or you can look in the script in the WPLO Converter, which uses LibreOffice's command-line conversion.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, david_st.amand <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I just acquired another consulting business and all their files came in .wpd. Of course I'm an all MAC shop using OSX 10.8.2.
            >
            > This happened to me ten years ago when Corel still supported the MAC. I found my old disk but alas it will not load.
            >
            > I just joined this group and it seems like this is the right place to look but I got a little lost hunting for the correct converter.
            >
            > Which programs should I use for this conversion?
            >
            > Any help is greatly appreciated ( a cookbook step by step would be great).
            >
            > Dave

          • david_st.amand
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
              Thanks. It worked perfectly. Converted about one hundred letters/reports in about one minute.

              Dave