WPMacApp improvements

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
      The snowstorm gave me some time to spend in adding a feature or two the WPMacApp that runs WPMac under SheepShaver, and which is based almost entirely on John's SheepShaver-WP system.

      I've added two Applescripts that run from the OSA menu (the little script icon near the right-hand side of the menubar). They are:

      Open Unix Folder - when you run this script from SheepShaver, the current "Unix" folder opens in OS X. In other words, if the "Unix" older in SheepShaver is the same as the Documents folder in OS X, when you run this script in SheepShaver, your OS X Documents folder opens in OS X.

      Run OS X Command - this prompts you to enter a command that will run in OS X, as if you had run it in the OS X terminal. For example, you could enter "open /Applications/Calculator.app" (without quotation marks), and the OS X calculator would open in OS X. You may need to experiment with this.

      The second one isn't really designed to be useful as it stands, but it gives expert users something to modify so that it can become useful to them. For example, it's now possible to write a WP macro that can save a document to the Unix folder than run an Applescript that will open the document in an OS X application in order to e-mail it, archive it, convert it to another format, etc., etc.

      Same download link as before:

      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

      Incidentally, I found that the OSA Menu sometimes stopped working, apparently because its preferences got corrupted, so I've locked its preference file. If you need to change the preferences, just unlock that file.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
        And to show what might be possible, I've now updated the system again with another Applescript: Convert File in OS X.

        This script lets you select a WP document in SheepShaver, then copies it to the Unix folder; on the OS X side, the WP file is then converted to DOC format by the WPLO Converter if you have it installed in OS X. The script has minimal error-checking, but it seems to get the job done. Same download link as below.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
          Integration between the SS/WP and the OSX environments is a very interesting area.

          I have something like this now, to to take an Applescript from the SheepShaver environment and run it in OSX.

          It's part of the SheepShaver Print-PDF script. This OSX-side script takes whatever lands in the SS > OSX (watched) folder in the Unix folder and handles it according to its extension, e.g.

          If theFile (name of dropped file) ends with ".ps"
          -- print it
          else if theFile ends with ".dict"
          -- look it up in Dictionary
          else if theFile ends with ".scpt"
          -- load it as a script object and run it in OSX

          The code for .scpt is

          to doScript(thisFile)
          set fred to load script thisFile
          tell fred to run
          end doScript

          where the script can contain a terminal command to be run with Do Shell Script, or contain any other Applescript.

          My next bit of research will see if this works the other way, so an OSX Applescript could send part of itself to the SheepShaver environment.

          John R.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
            It doesn't seem possible for the old Mac OS Script Editor to open an AppleScript created in OS X. But there is a clumsy workaround: save the AppleScript in OS X as a text file; move the text file to SheepShaver; open the old Mac OS Script Editor and use GUI scripting to open the text file, then compile it and run it.

            The OS X AppleScript Editor is scriptable, so it can be told to open a script and save it in text format. Unfortunately, the old Mac OS Script Editor (at least in 8.6) is not scriptable so GUI scripting would be required.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
              No Script Editor needed. Move a script (with extension .scpt) into a watched folder; the folder action script can load that script into itself and run it (or any of its handlers). Works like a charm going to OSX; going to SS I have it working half the time.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
                Yes, understood about taking a script from SS to OS X - no editor needed.

                But I've had no luck sending a compiled (.scpt) script from OS X to SS and making it run. But I can make it work by sending a text file from OS X to SS, compiling the script in SS, and running it in SS.