Re: [wpmac] [OT] Apple's future

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 25, 2013
      Yes, like the comment that they should run their products on other platforms. That's a very old complaint, dating, I believe, to the 1980s. Nothing really new here.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 25, 2013
        On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

        > **
        >
        > You can't do that with these Retina Display MBPs. And that's just Apple
        > being Apple. They think their devices are perfect the way they are, and you
        > should be happy to be able to buy them. That's not something that most
        > people are ok with. And it is not good for the future of the company.

        http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Diagnostic_Port.txt...

      • Chad Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
          Well that confirms some of my deepest fears - not just about Apple and
          Jobs, but about the industry as a whole.

          *- Chad W. Smith*

          > http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Diagnostic_Port.txt
        • mxytsplyk
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
            Thanks for the link. And the comments, by some of those who were directly involved, tell more of the story.

            On Jan 24, 2013, at 6:23 PM, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

            > On Jan 24, 2013, at 12:34 PM, John R wrote:
            >
            > > Enormous potential, but . . . ?
            > >
            > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/24/apple-fourth-quarter-earnings-strategic-weakness
            >
            > Thanks for posting that, John!
            >
            > The article itself was on track to be great, until the author pointed out the three things that he thought were Apple mistakes going forward. I think that the author was way off on those.
            >
            > However, many of the comments to the article, very uncharacteristically, are gold!

            > Randy B. Singer
            > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
            >
            > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • Richard Wagoner
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
              Just like how well IBM did my licensing their designs for PCs � People forget that for every success in licensing in the PC world (mainly Microsoft); there are hundreds of casualties.Only low-cost producers prevail and innovation stagnates.

              The same argument was made for having Sears sell their well-known brands (Craftsman, Kenmore, etc) at non-Sears-owned stores. Really does a lot for Sears stores � not.