Joining This Yahoo Group

  • ghulseman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
      -Hi all,

      I mentioned this Yahoo group on MacFixit primarily for the awesome SheepShaver + WordPerfect build that is posted in your Files section. Apparently a few folks are having a problem joining this group. I've been a member of YahooGroups for some time, so this wasn't a problem for me. Is there an easy way to join this group that I can share with MacFixit? Thanks for your help.
    • J.J. McVeigh
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
        At 14:37 +0000 25.01.2013, ghulseman wrote:

        >I mentioned this Yahoo group on MacFixit primarily for the awesome
        >SheepShaver + WordPerfect build that is posted in your Files
        >section. Apparently a few folks are having a problem joining this
        >group. I've been a member of YahooGroups for some time, so this
        >wasn't a problem for me. Is there an easy way to join this group
        >that I can share with MacFixit? Thanks for your help.

        I'm one of the list mechanics. From what I see, there are no queued
        subscription requests awaiting action.

        It is possible to submit a subscription request simply by sending an
        email message to:
        mailto:wordperfectmac-subscribe@yahoogroups.com,
        but unless one has a Yahoo ID and password, one will not be able to
        access the Files page.
        If one points a web browser to:
        one should be able to submit a subscription request by that means.

        --
        John Joseph McVeigh
        Butler, Maryland, USA
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
          For what it is worth, I saw the mention on macintouch and had no trouble joining the group yesterday.  All I needed to do was to use my usual Yahoo ID and sign into my groups.

          Although I have little interest in using Word Perfect (sorry, folks) I was interested in getting a complete disk image just to occasionally run a couple of small, old, and undemanding (system 7.5) applications I still have use for.  I'd be using a 10.5.8 machine.  If I understand the information correctly, I still need to find a Mac OS retail install to get the ROM file, and then after that follow the procedures outlined in the help pdf.

          If only there was a "completely complete" disk image... .

          Thanks for reading
        • ghulseman
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" wrote:

            > >I mentioned this Yahoo group on MacFixit primarily for the awesome
            > >SheepShaver + WordPerfect build that is posted in your Files
            > >section. Apparently a few folks are having a problem joining this
            > >group. I've been a member of YahooGroups for some time, so this
            > >wasn't a problem for me. Is there an easy way to join this group
            > >that I can share with MacFixit? Thanks for your help.
            >
            > I'm one of the list mechanics. From what I see, there are no queued
            > subscription requests awaiting action.
            >
            > It is possible to submit a subscription request simply by sending an
            > email message to:
            > mailto:wordperfectmac-subscribe@yahoogroups.com,
            > but unless one has a Yahoo ID and password, one will not be able to
            > access the Files page.
            > If one points a web browser to:
            > ;
            > one should be able to submit a subscription request by that means.
            >
            > --
            > John Joseph McVeigh
            > Butler, Maryland, USA

            So John, is the first step to establish a Yahoo ID and password? Do you just create a Yahoo mail account?
          • J.J. McVeigh
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
              At 17:23 +0000 25.01.2013, ghulseman wrote:

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" wrote:
              >
              >> >I mentioned this Yahoo group on MacFixit primarily for the awesome
              >> >SheepShaver + WordPerfect build that is posted in your Files
              >> >section. Apparently a few folks are having a problem joining this
              >> >group. I've been a member of YahooGroups for some time, so this
              >> >wasn't a problem for me. Is there an easy way to join this group
              >> >that I can share with MacFixit? Thanks for your help.
              >>
              >> I'm one of the list mechanics. From what I see, there are no queued
              >> subscription requests awaiting action.
              >>
              >> It is possible to submit a subscription request simply by sending an
              >> email message to:
              > > mailto:wordperfectmac-subscribe@yahoogroups.com,
              >> but unless one has a Yahoo ID and password, one will not be able to
              >> access the Files page.
              >> If one points a web browser to:
              > > one should be able to submit a subscription request by that means.
              >
              >So John, is the first step to establish a Yahoo ID and password?

              Yes.

              How to do so:
              <http://tinyurl.com/a8j6ubn> .

              One then navigates to the front page associated with this list,
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/> ,
              and submits a subscription request, or does so via email, using the
              email address that I previously supplied:
              mailto:wordperfectmac-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

              Or one reverses the order: one submits a subscription request via
              email, and then obtains a Yahoo ID so that one can access the Files
              page and archived list traffic.

              > Do you just create a Yahoo mail account?

              That is not necessary, but I believe that Yahoo now creates a Yahoo
              mail account fror one when one obtains a Yahoo ID and specifies an
              account password.

              --
              John Joseph McVeigh
              Butler, Maryland, USA
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
                I joined last night with no issues (other than not remembering my Yahoo login!)

                Glad to be here.

                Richard

                Without math we are cavemen eating mud.
              • ghulseman
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Either I'm really confused or the complete archive has been taken down. I have downloaded a complete archive (that included a working system folder and MacOS ROM file) from here in the past, but I cant find it anywhere. Sorry to misinform you.

                  Send me an email and I'll see if I can fix you right up.

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Sam Storch wrote:

                  > For what it is worth, I saw the mention on macintouch and had no trouble joining the group yesterday.  All I needed to do was to use my usual Yahoo ID and sign into my groups.
                  >
                  > Although I have little interest in using Word Perfect (sorry, folks) I was interested in getting a complete disk image just to occasionally run a couple of small, old, and undemanding (system 7.5) applications I still have use for.  I'd be using a 10.5.8 machine.  If I understand the information correctly, I still need to find a Mac OS retail install to get the ROM file, and then after that follow the procedures outlined in the help pdf.
                  >
                  > If only there was a "completely complete" disk image... .
                  >
                  > Thanks for reading
                • Sam Storch
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Thanks for writing.

                    I just checked, this morning, and found that in the "files" section of the group, nothing seems to have changed since two days ago when I first looked.  Perhaps I'm not going to the same URL that you reference, or perhaps there was some temporary problem with either Yahoo or some ISP.

                    This also could be caused by some "sudden demand" for files, exceeding a limitation on downloads or activity on the part of Yahoo.  I don't know.

                    I did receive, separately, a link by email to a Dropbox URL leading to a file, thank you.  I'm trying to get it to work right now.

                    Sam

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                      No that was me that sent the dropbox URL, and it's . . .  I don't know exactly what it is. I would not mess with it.
                      If you want the Sheepshaver installer, let me know. I have an archive of it at home and I can email the link.
                    • bradhurte
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                        I found a working archive in the Links section, Sheepshaver & Basilisk folder: SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.4.2
                      • Sam Storch
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                          Dear George,

                          Thank you very much.  Id really appreciate getting hat one.

                          Sam Storch

                          No that was me that sent the dropbox URL, and it's . . .  I don't know exactly what it is. I would not mess with it.
                          If you want the Sheepshaver installer, let me know. I have an archive of it at home and I can email the link.

                        • George Hulseman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
                            Thank you!

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
                              There's also WPMacApp Installer in the Links section, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk folder. This is a different package of SheepShaver and WordPerfect, with more advanced design. You might want to try both.

                              John R.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
                                I forgot to mention that WPMacApp requires Leopard (OS 10.5) or later while SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install runs on Tiger (10.4) and later. A third package is similar to WPMacApp but uses another emulator, Basilisk, instead of SheepShaver. More info about these are at http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html and http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel-alternate.html.

                                John R.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                                  Just to complicate matters: there are actually two versions of the WPMacApp available on the first of the two pages linked below.

                                  One version is for 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later; that's the one that I try to keep up-to-date.

                                  The other version is for 10.5 (Intel or PowerPC), and I don't try to keep it up-to-date, and it's much less automated than the version for 10.6.