[OT] Apple's future

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 24, 2013
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 24, 2013
        On Jan 24, 2013, at 12:34 PM, John R wrote:

        > Enormous potential, but . . . ?
        >
        > http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/24/apple-fourth-quarter-earnings-strategic-weakness

        Thanks for posting that, John!

        The article itself was on track to be great, until the author pointed out the three things that he thought were Apple mistakes going forward. I think that the author was way off on those.

        However, many of the comments to the article, very uncharacteristically, are gold!

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 25, 2013
          What else would you expect from Grauniad readers!
          --
          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law

          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
          essex.ac.uk)

          > Randy B. Singer <mailto:randy@...>
          > 25 January 2013 04:23
          >
          > Thanks for posting that, John!
          >
          > The article itself was on track to be great, until the author pointed
          > out the three things that he thought were Apple mistakes going
          > forward. I think that the author was way off on those.
          >
          > However, many of the comments to the article, very
          > uncharacteristically, are gold!

          > Randy B. Singer
          > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
          >
          > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          >

          > .
          >
          > John R <mailto:johnrethorst@...>
          > 24 January 2013 20:34
          > Enormous potential, but . . . ?
          >
          > http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/24/apple-fourth-quarter-earnings-strategic-weakness

          > .

        • Chad Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 25, 2013
            Neat article, I agree that Apple still has tons of room to grow. I also agree that they need to start addressing the lower end of the market. The cheapest Mac is the low-end Mac Mini and it starts at $599 (even with the Education discount, it's still $579). And the Mac Mini doesn't even have an optical drive (and for whatever reason - NO MAC has EVER had a BluRay Drive [from Apple] ! )

            A problem I have with Apple's direction is the Retina Display MacBook Pros - aka the LEAST UPGRADABLE LAPTOPS in the history of time. And for what? To save .2" of thickness? It's retarded.

            I know most people these days do not work on their laptops themselves - but the thing is, "most people" never did. But what a lot of people /did/ do was take it to their geek friend, or to a computer shop, and have /them/ upgrade it. So instead of just buying a whole new laptop every 2 years - they would add RAM, upgrade the hard drive, get a new battery, get a optical drive with a burner, or add DVD-DL or something.

            You can't do that with these Retina Display MBPs. And that's just Apple being Apple. They think their devices are perfect the way they are, and you should be happy to be able to buy them. That's not something that most people are ok with. And it is not good for the future of the company.

            I do see signs of hope.

            Like it or hate it, but the Thunderbolt port is not just an Apple standard (although pragmatically it still is from what I've seen at this point). That's a good thing. That's progress in the right direction. Still wish they had made HDMI more widely available, but still...

            The iPad Mini (something that Steve Jobs basically said would NEVER HAPPEN) shows movement toward the lower end of the market, as well as /some/ flexibility in their design practices.

            And if rumors are correct, there will be a new cheaper iPhone very soon. Not just still-being-made older models, but actually a newly designed iPhone that just cheaper (plastic shell, not-as-fast processor, etc.).

            *- Chad W. Smith*

            On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM, John R wrote:

            > Enormous potential, but . . . ?
            >
            > http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/24/apple-fourth-quarter-earnings-strategic-weakness
          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 25, 2013
              Yes, like the comment that they should run their products on other platforms. That's a very old complaint, dating, I believe, to the 1980s. Nothing really new here.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 25, 2013
                On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

                > **
                >
                > You can't do that with these Retina Display MBPs. And that's just Apple
                > being Apple. They think their devices are perfect the way they are, and you
                > should be happy to be able to buy them. That's not something that most
                > people are ok with. And it is not good for the future of the company.

                http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Diagnostic_Port.txt...

              • Chad Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Well that confirms some of my deepest fears - not just about Apple and
                  Jobs, but about the industry as a whole.

                  *- Chad W. Smith*

                  > http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Diagnostic_Port.txt
                • mxytsplyk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Thanks for the link. And the comments, by some of those who were directly involved, tell more of the story.

                    On Jan 24, 2013, at 6:23 PM, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

                    > On Jan 24, 2013, at 12:34 PM, John R wrote:
                    >
                    > > Enormous potential, but . . . ?
                    > >
                    > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/24/apple-fourth-quarter-earnings-strategic-weakness
                    >
                    > Thanks for posting that, John!
                    >
                    > The article itself was on track to be great, until the author pointed out the three things that he thought were Apple mistakes going forward. I think that the author was way off on those.
                    >
                    > However, many of the comments to the article, very uncharacteristically, are gold!

                    > Randy B. Singer
                    > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
                    >
                    > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                    > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                  • Richard Wagoner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Just like how well IBM did my licensing their designs for PCs � People forget that for every success in licensing in the PC world (mainly Microsoft); there are hundreds of casualties.Only low-cost producers prevail and innovation stagnates.

                      The same argument was made for having Sears sell their well-known brands (Craftsman, Kenmore, etc) at non-Sears-owned stores. Really does a lot for Sears stores � not.