Re: [wpmac] [OT] The sad state of anti-virus protection

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 23, 2013
      In a message dated 2013-0123 06:13 -0500, Randy B. Singer wrote:

      > ... If you have re-enabled/installed Oracle's version of Java on your Mac because you need it to access a particular Web site (some courts require Java to be able to file documents via the Web, for instance), you should turn Java off in your Web browser until, and only when, you specifically need Java.
      >
      > In Safari, go to:
      > Safari menu --> Preferences --> Security --> uncheck Enable Java

      Firefox users have the option of the QuickJava extension, which gives
      button-based toggling of Java and other potential vulnerabilities (JS, Flash,
      ...), making it very easy to enable on a per-site, or even per-page, basis.

      John
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
        On Jan 23, 2013, at 6:13 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > In Safari, go to:
        > Safari menu --> Preferences --> Security --> uncheck Enable Java

        What about JavaSCRIPT? That's a separate option. Should that be unchecked, as well, Don't a lot of web pages use JavaScript? What are the implications of turning this off? Will it cause a lot of problems accessing web pages?

        Thanks,
        Rick

        Rick Albright
        logres@...

        http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
          At 23:01 -0500 25.01.2013, Rick Albright wrote:

          > > In Safari, go to:
          >> Safari menu --> Preferences --> Security --> uncheck Enable Java
          >
          >What about JavaSCRIPT? That's a separate option. Should that be
          >unchecked, as well[?]

          No. You can leave that be. Apples and Oranges.

          --
          John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
          Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
            While it is now considered good practice to disable Java (except by you for known specific purposes that you trust) you may need to have Javascript enabled to do just about any work beyond text-only websites.

            Despite having similar names, Java and Javascript are two entirely different things. You can get better clarification than my simple statement by searching recent discussions on macintouch.com which is reliable in this sort of stuff.

            Cheers!