Re: Converting/Retrieving Old WPMac File into SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
      That conversion guide was designed for older versions of OS X that ran "classic"; I don't think it has any useful information for anyone using current SheepShaver setups, and would only cause confusion.

      Before anyone can tell you how to get a WP file to open from the OS X desktop, we would need to know exactly what you installed - was it SheepShaver-WP 1.4 or something different?

      Meanwhile, if you want to open it from WP itself, what you need to do first is figure out which folder in OS X is the same folder that appears as the unix folder that you see in SheepShaver. If that sentence is impossible to understand, please ask for an explanation, and someone here can provide it.

      To avoid confusion, then shut down SheepShaver if it is running.

      Then, when you are absolutely certain that you know which folder in OS X is the same folder that appears as the unix folder in SheepShaver, find your document in the OS X finder or on the OS X desktop or wherever it is, and in OS X - in OS X, NOT in SheepShaver - move the file into the OS X folder that is the same as the unix folder in SheepShaver.

      Then start up SheepShaver, start WP, and open the file from the unix folder.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "wpfanclub" <arh1015@...> wrote:

      > That is a great idea em. Perhaps even a PDF attached to an email to the group for easy access ...
      >
      > Meanwhile, does anyone have a few-step suggestion for how I get an old WP3.5e doc that is on my desktop to open in the SheepShaver system? I've tried clicking on it several different ways and also tried transferring it by drag-drop to the UNIX shared folder drive in SS, but to no effect. It's crazy because when I click on it and do "Get Info" from OSX (10.6.8) it has a preview of the first page, but I just can't figure out how to open it!
      >
      > Thanks to anyone who can help. (I am not a clever programmer or IT person like most people on this site seem to be!)

      > > John,
      > >
      > > Conversion Guide.pdf is posted here in a StuffIt .sit archive. OS X 10.6 doesn't have any built-in way of opening a .sit archive, so the archive opens as nonsense in TextEdit, exactly as "wpfanclub" said. Perhaps it could be posted instead either as a plain PDF or in a ZIP file?

    • wpfanclub
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
        Thank you EM315! I installed SSWP 1.4 Also, when I looked at my SS Unix Drive, the "mirror" files/folders from my OSX were bizzarre -- a few random documents (recent downloads from firefox), a couple of random folders. In other words, there is no "mirror" verison of my OSX drives/directories/files/folders in my SheepShaver Unix Drive ... so I can't "find" the old WP doc inside SheepShaver. Make any sense? Maybe I need to reinstall.The main drives on my OSX don't appear in SheepShaver Unix "disk."
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
          At 18:30 +0000 19.12.2012, wpfanclub wrote:

          >Thank you EM315! I installed SSWP 1.4 Also, when I looked at my SS
          >Unix Drive, the "mirror" files/folders from my OSX were bizzarre --
          >a few random documents (recent downloads from firefox), a couple of
          >random folders. In other words, there is no "mirror" verison of my
          >OSX drives/directories/files/folders in my SheepShaver Unix Drive
          >... so I can't "find" the old WP doc inside SheepShaver. Make any
          >sense? Maybe I need to reinstall.The main drives on my OSX don't
          >appear in SheepShaver Unix "disk."

          I do not think that there should be a "'mirror' version of [your] OSX
          drives/directories/files/folders in [your] SheepShaver Unix Drive."

          Here is how it works for me. On the desktop associated with my Mac
          OSX User Account, which account is imaginatively called jjm, I have a
          folder, imaginatively named "SheepShaver Shared," without the
          quotation marks and comma.

          In the Virtual Machine Settings dialogue box that appears when I
          launch SheepShaver and open its preferences (SheepShaver >
          Preferences), the following appears in the field to the left of the
          phrase Unix Root:

          //Users.jjm/Desktop/SheepShaver Shared

          If, for some reason, I wanted to select a new location for the Unox
          Root virtual drive, I would click on the Browse button to the right
          of the path description, and navigate to the substitute folder.

          (I can do the same thing without launching SheepShaver by using the
          SheepShaverPrefs application that I downloaded from the SheepShaver
          site.)

          When I look inside the SheepShaver Shared folder on my desktop, I see
          the same files as I see when I look in the Unix drive from within
          SheepShaver.

          If I want to import a file into the SheepShaver Unix Root virtual
          drive, I simply make a copy, and drag it to and drop it into the
          SheepShaver Shared folder on my mac OSX user account's desktop.

          (I make a copy of the file before dragging and dropping simply as a
          precaution. It's not really necessary.)

          So, the question for you is whether, in SheepShaver's Preferences,
          you have properly selected the folder that you want to use as the
          SheepShaver Unix Root drive?

          --
          John Joseph McVeigh
          Butler, Maryland, USA
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
            At 19:35 +0000 19.12.2012, I wrote:

            >In the Virtual Machine Settings dialogue box that appears when I
            >launch SheepShaver and open its preferences (SheepShaver >
            >Preferences), the following appears in the field to the left of the
            >phrase Unix Root:
            >
            >//Users.jjm/Desktop/SheepShaver Shared

            Ooops! Make that:

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
              Hi John, and thank you for the clear instructions. Short answer: no I have not done anything @ SheepShaver preferences (yet) -- I'm embarassed to say I lookd for SS Preferences yesterday and could not find them ... a signpost would be most welcome!
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                Do this, and follow each step EXACTLY:

                1. Start SheepShaver.

                2. With SheepShaver running, from the top-line menu in OS X (NOT the top-line menu in SheepShaver), click SheepShaver, then click Preferences.

                3. You should see a menu with a title something like "Virtual Machine Settings." Make sure that you are in the Setup tab.

                4. Look toward the bottom of the Setup tab. You will see an entry labeled "Unix Root". Towards the right of the SAME line, you will see a button that says Browse. Click that button. Navigate to a folder that you recognize (Desktop, Documents, some other folder that you recognize and can remember). Choose that folder.

                5. You should now see a plausible-looking entry in the box next to "Unix Root". For example, if your user name is "Roscoe", and you chose your Documents folder in step 4, then you will see something like /Users/roscoe/Documents - but of course you must NOT type in /Users/roscoe/Documents because your username is probably not "Roscoe" and you may have chosen a different folder.

                6. Do NOT change anything else in this menu!!

                7. Click Save.

                8. SheepShaver may display an error message about the Unix folder. IGNORE THAT MESSAGE.

                9. Before you do anything else, shut down SheepShaver completely. Do not click "Restart" on the Special menu in SheepShaver. Click Shut Down.

                10. In OS X, copy a WP document into the folder that you selected in step 4.

                11. Now open SheepShaver. You should find that WP document in the Unix folder.

                If anything goes wrong, then print out this message and follow every step exactly, checking off each one as you proceed, until it all works correctly.

                If any of this is unclear, then print out and study the setup guide found here:

                http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup

                Look ONLY at the section headed "Configuring SheepShaver." Do NOT follow any other steps that you see in that guide!

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                  Thank you EM315. I actually did the thing with creating a shared folder in OSX (with the file in question in it) and then found the SheepShaver Preferences button and changed the drive ... The result, though, was that I could no longer launch SheepShaver due to some error (drive can't be found).

                  I'm going to re-download SS 1.4 and then follow the excellent "for dummies" (i.e., Me!). Will report back.

                  Your patience and kindness are hugely appreciated!
                • J.J. McVeigh
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                    At 19:52 +0000 19.12.2012, arh1015@... wrote:

                    >Hi John, and thank you for the clear instructions. Short answer: no
                    >I have not done anything @ SheepShaver preferences (yet) -- I'm
                    >embarassed to say I lookd for SS Preferences yesterday and could not
                    >find them ... a signpost would be most welcome!

                    There are two ways to set up or to modify SheepShaver preferences.

                    Method 1.

                    a. Launch SheepShaver.

                    b. In the SheepShaver pull-down menu, which appears in the menu bar
                    at the top of your OSX desktop, position the pointer of your mouse,
                    trackpad, or trackball, depress the (main) button on your pointing
                    device, slide down to Preferences, and then let go of the button.

                    c. A dialogue box will open. The dialogue box will be entitled
                    Virtual Machine Settings. it will have three tabs. The leftmost
                    tab is called Setup. That's where you specify the location of the
                    folder that will be your Unix Root virtual drive. It's also where
                    you tell SheepShaver where to look for the MacOS ROM file, where you
                    specify the amount of RAM the program is to use, etc. It's also
                    where you specify or create the virtual drives that will appear on
                    the desktop file within the SheepShaver window. those virtual drives
                    are actually Mac OSX files with a .dsk extension. There are also two
                    other tabs, Audio/Video and Miscellaneous, which have various options.

                    d. After you have set the preferences the way that you want them,
                    click on the Save button at the lower right-hand corner of the
                    Virtual Machine Settings dialogue box.

                    e. Then quit, and then relaunch, SheepShaver.

                    Method 2.

                    a. Launch the SheepShaverPrefs application, if you have downloaded
                    and installed it. SheepShaver need not (and, if I recall correctly,
                    should not) be running.

                    b. A dialogue box will appear that is almost identical to the one
                    described in connection with Method 1, above.

                    c. Configure Preferences as desired.

                    d. Close the dialogue box associated with the the SheepShaverPrefs
                    application. There is no Save button, as there is in the dialogue
                    box described in connection with method 1, above. The
                    SheepShaverPrefs application will automatically quit.

                    e. Launch SheepShaver. You might want to then go to the SheepShaver
                    Preferences as described in steps b and c of Method 1, above, to
                    verify that the settings which appear comport with those that you
                    selected using Method 2. If so, then Bob's your uncle.

                    --
                    John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                    Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                      You should not have "changed the drive". Presumably you mean that you changed something under the "Volumes" list. No one ever said to do that. Please follow the instructions exactly, and you will save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

                      I think I'll drop out of this discussion now. Other people are providing very expert help and there's no need to have multiple voices giving different advice.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                        At 20:32 +0000 19.12.2012, em315 wrote:

                        >You should not have "changed the drive". Presumably you mean that
                        >you changed something under the "Volumes" list. No one ever said to
                        >do that. Please follow the instructions exactly, and you will save
                        >yourself a lot of time and trouble.
                        >
                        >I think I'll drop out of this discussion now. Other people are
                        >providing very expert help and there's no need to have multiple
                        >voices giving different advice.

                        Please don't be too hasty. I think that the advice that you have him
                        or her is more lucid than mine. E.g., Items Nos. 8-11 in your
                        post... Do this, and follow each step EXACTLY:

                        ;-)

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                          Hello All,

                          Thank you for your great help and patience. I'm throwing in the towel. I've bollixed my drive somehow, apparently incapable even of reading clear instructions from your generous members.

                          I still think this is an amazing project, and only wish Mr. Gates had not won the war against DOS and WP with his endless succession of junk prouducts.

                          I will be recommending this site to the rare fellow-traveler (but only if he/she is also conversant in UNIX!)

                          Happy holidays,

                          WPF

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                            Nearly everything in the Files section is in .sit format, and we're already using 79mb of the 100mb Yahoo gives us.

                            For PDF files it may not matter on newer machines, especially with the file extension, but it might matter on older machines or within Sheepshaver, and the advantage of distribution in .sit format is it retains the Mac file information that some setups may need to open the file properly.

                            I'm not sure how best to address this.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                              At 20:50 +0000 19.12.2012, wpfanclub wrote:

                              >Hello All,
                              >
                              >Thank you for your great help and patience. I'm throwing in the
                              >towel. I've bollixed my drive somehow, apparently incapable even of
                              >reading clear instructions from your generous members.
                              >
                              >I still think this is an amazing project, and only wish Mr. Gates
                              >had not won the war against DOS and WP with his endless succession
                              >of junk prouducts.
                              >
                              >I will be recommending this site to the rare fellow-traveler (but
                              >only if he/she is also conversant in UNIX!)
                              >
                              >Happy holidays,
                              >
                              >WPF

                              I would not throw in the towel just yet. When I first tried
                              Sheepshaver, I had some problems that got resolved,
                              counterintuitively, by downloading an installing an *older* version
                              of SheepShaver. Ever since then, I've been using it without incident.

                              Being able to use WordPerfect 3.5ep for the Mac was well worth the set-up.

                              So, my suggestion is to download an older version of SheepShaver,
                              install it, install Mac OS 8.6 or 9.0.4, and the install WP 3.5ep.

                              Or try the very impressive WordPerfect Appliancethat Edward
                              Mendelsohn has conjured up...

                              ======

                              To: wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
                              From: "em315" <em315@...>
                              Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 03:24:10 -0000
                              Subject: [wpmac] Improved WPMac Appliance (alternate SheepShaver and
                              WPMac system)

                              I've made some improvements in my WPMac Appliance system (WPMacApp).
                              This is an alternative to John's SheepShaver-WP system, and about 97%
                              of this alternative system is taken directly from John's system.

                              The main difference between this system and SheepShaver-WP is that
                              this is one is self-contained - the "classic" disk image is contained
                              inside the application. This new version also finally removes the
                              need for a visible folder in OS X for transmitting data between
                              SheepShaver and OS X. (It uses a hidden folder in the user folder
                              instead.) Also, it prints or creates PDF without any special setup,
                              but if offers to set up direct printing to any OS X printer if you
                              prefer faster printing or a specific printer. As before, it can
                              toggle between a quasi-full-screen mode and windowed mode. And, of
                              course, you can double-click on an WP file in OS X and have it open
                              in WPMac in SheepShaver.

                              The new version has a few other improvements, including Smokey's and
                              John's technique for clicking a hyperlink in WPMac and having it open
                              in Safari in OS X. That's part of the 97% that derives from John's
                              work.

                              The same link still applies:

                              http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPDOSBox%20Installer.dmg

                              ======

                              You won't be sorry.

                              --
                              John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                              Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
                              Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
                              Member: NY; DC; and USPTO Bars
                            • Paul Cowan
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                                On Wednesday, December 19, 2012, John R wrote:

                                > Nearly everything in the Files section is in .sit format, and we're
                                > already using 79mb of the 100mb Yahoo gives us.
                                >
                                > For PDF files it may not matter on newer machines, especially with the
                                > file extension, but it might matter on older machines or within
                                > Sheepshaver, and the advantage of distribution in .sit format is it retains
                                > the Mac file information that some setups may need to open the file
                                > properly.
                                >
                                > I'm not sure how best to address this.

                                Perhaps just with a link to The Unarchiver? Which everyone ought to have
                                anyway. I see it’s in the App Store now.

                                bye,

                                --

                                P. (^_^)

                                mailto:officewallah@...

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                                  Link added. We also have links to Stuffit Expander for OSX and OS 9.

                                  John R.

                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Cowan <officewallah@...> wrote:

                                  > On Wednesday, December 19, 2012, John R wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Nearly everything in the Files section is in .sit format, and we're
                                  > > already using 79mb of the 100mb Yahoo gives us.
                                  > >
                                  > > For PDF files it may not matter on newer machines, especially with the
                                  > > file extension, but it might matter on older machines or within
                                  > > Sheepshaver, and the advantage of distribution in .sit format is it retains
                                  > > the Mac file information that some setups may need to open the file
                                  > > properly.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm not sure how best to address this.
                                  > >

                                  > Perhaps just with a link to The Unarchiver? Which everyone ought to have
                                  > anyway. I see it’s in the App Store now.
                                  >
                                  > bye,
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > P. (^_^)
                                  >
                                  > mailto:officewallah@...

                                • Doug Auwarter
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                                    I agree with J.J. I was late getting in on it and loaded a very
                                    recent "new build" by somebody (sorry that I don't remember who!) and
                                    the installation was very simple. It works beautifully in OS 10.7,
                                    flawlessly.
                                    Thank you wordperfectmac community!
                                    Doug

                                  • Andréa
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                                      All,

                                      Thanks very much for the new round of suggestions and evident kindness.

                                      I'll take a break here to see if I can fix the bollixed drive address thingy and then will try the alternate download.  It may solve current issues and the slew of super basic stuff that I'm likely to get stuck on, like setting up a printer, etc.

                                      So at the moment, I've taken up too much of your time as it is, and will let everyone get back to using the group for more advanced issues!

                                      Best,

                                      WPFan (Andrea)
                                    • J.J. McVeigh
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 19, 2012
                                        At 17:45 -0800 19.12.2012, Andréa wrote:

                                        >All,
                                        >
                                        >Thanks very much for the new round of suggestions and evident kindness.
                                        >
                                        >I'll take a break here to see if I can fix the
                                        >bollixed drive address thingy and then will try
                                        >the alternate download. It may solve current
                                        >issues and the slew of super basic stuff that
                                        >I'm likely to get stuck on, like setting up a
                                        >printer, etc.
                                        >
                                        >So at the moment, I've taken up too much of your
                                        >time as it is, and will let everyone get back to
                                        >using the group for more advanced issues!
                                        >
                                        >Best,
                                        >
                                        >WPFan (Andrea)

                                        When you are ready to take another run at this, first take a look here:
                                        <http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup> ,
                                        if you have not already done so.

                                        I installed and set up SheepShaver first, and
                                        made sure that it was up and running, before I
                                        installed Wordperfect 3.5e and then ran the
                                        updater to get to WP 3.5ep. I then also
                                        installed some other programs that run under OS
                                        9.0.4.

                                        I'll keep my fingers crossed that your next attempt will be successful.