Re: [wpmac] Adding tildes to characters in Wordperfect - solved

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
      In other versions of WP, it's easy to write a macro so that it says the equivalent of this:

      If the keyboard focus is in an editing window then
      Change the font and type a character, then change the font again
      Else
      Do nothing
      EndIf

      That way, if you assign a special-character macro to Ctrl-U (for example), and the keyboard focus is in the Print or Save menu, nothing will happen if you press Ctrl-U by mistake. Ctrl-U will only do something when you're typing text in a document.

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
        I meant to ask if there is a way to do this in WPMac. I don't see a read-only variable that would say whether or not the keyboard focus is in the editing window, but perhaps I didn't look in the right place.

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
          I don't know of one. You can get number of windows, whether the front window is a new document, or modified since being saved, or coordinates of the insertion point. But the only equivalent I can see for a focus on the editing window is whether or not a menu is active. Macros don't function when dialog boxes are open, so that info is not available.

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
            Ah! I didn't know that! That means there's no need to set up a macro NOT to work in a dialog box! Apologies for wasting bandwidth on this one...

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 18, 2012
              Interaction between macros and dialogs can be useful. There are a number of macro commands, e.g. Get Text, Get Number, Confirm, that feed info to your macro. With others, you can detect the user's choice and act accordingly, e.g.

              New Document
              ; some commands
              Save As Dialog
              If (NewDocumentFlag)
              ; if flag is true, the user must have canceled out of the dialog
              ; else macro can branch depending on contents of DocumentName
              End If

              My Equation Manager makes use of the feature that if you make a new equation with a macro, the macro pauses as long as the new box is open. When you close the box, the macro resumes.

              So the equation macro makes a table with non-printing borders, and opens the equation editor. When you're finished entering the equation and close the editor, the macro continues and puts the automatic equation number (and automatic chapter number, if you have set chapter numbers) to the right of the equation. These numbers update as you add, delete or move equations, or change chapter numbering.

              But if you make a new graphic with a macro, the macro continues into the graphic editor. Same with a text box and user box.

              John R.