Re: [wpmac] Adding tildes to characters in Wordperfect

  • Paul Cowan
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
      On 11 Dec. 2012, at 20:18, Doug Auwarter wrote:

      > for a tilde, type option-n and then whatever letter you want, like ñ, ã, etc.

      The etc. means: õ. Indeed, as you can see in Key Caps, the ˜ dead key applies only when you next type a, n or o. or the corresponding capitals. Not a problem for Portuguese, but what the OP wanted was ĩ and ũ, and that *is* a problem.

      It was possible to edit the dead-key maps in ResEdit, but the characters would still appear only if they existed in the font.

      cheers,

      P. (^_^)

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
        The WP IBM Character Sets font suitcase is also available in the Files section here, as Character Sets.sit.

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
          And it might be worth pointing out that WordPerfect for the Mac is not the best place to create this document, because the u-tilde and i-tilde characters cannot be correctly exported to anything else. They will LOOK right in PDF out or printed output, but when any other software copies the text from a PDF or anything else, the u-tilde and i-tilde characters will be replaced with something else. It's a guaranteed recipe for trouble down the road. (WordPerfect for Windows, at least in its recent unicode-aware versions, would be fine.)

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
            Sorry: that should say: "They will LOOK right in PDF output or printed output..."

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
              Not sure what you mean by refine to run only when editing. Your macro is an ideal way to enter special characters easily. The OP needed two of them, so two macros (maybe assigned mnemonic keystrokes, e.g. control-U) would work well.

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
                In other versions of WP, it's easy to write a macro so that it says the equivalent of this:

                If the keyboard focus is in an editing window then
                Change the font and type a character, then change the font again
                Else
                Do nothing
                EndIf

                That way, if you assign a special-character macro to Ctrl-U (for example), and the keyboard focus is in the Print or Save menu, nothing will happen if you press Ctrl-U by mistake. Ctrl-U will only do something when you're typing text in a document.

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
                  I meant to ask if there is a way to do this in WPMac. I don't see a read-only variable that would say whether or not the keyboard focus is in the editing window, but perhaps I didn't look in the right place.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
                    I don't know of one. You can get number of windows, whether the front window is a new document, or modified since being saved, or coordinates of the insertion point. But the only equivalent I can see for a focus on the editing window is whether or not a menu is active. Macros don't function when dialog boxes are open, so that info is not available.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
                      Ah! I didn't know that! That means there's no need to set up a macro NOT to work in a dialog box! Apologies for wasting bandwidth on this one...

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 18, 2012
                        Interaction between macros and dialogs can be useful. There are a number of macro commands, e.g. Get Text, Get Number, Confirm, that feed info to your macro. With others, you can detect the user's choice and act accordingly, e.g.

                        New Document
                        ; some commands
                        Save As Dialog
                        If (NewDocumentFlag)
                        ; if flag is true, the user must have canceled out of the dialog
                        ; else macro can branch depending on contents of DocumentName
                        End If

                        My Equation Manager makes use of the feature that if you make a new equation with a macro, the macro pauses as long as the new box is open. When you close the box, the macro resumes.

                        So the equation macro makes a table with non-printing borders, and opens the equation editor. When you're finished entering the equation and close the editor, the macro continues and puts the automatic equation number (and automatic chapter number, if you have set chapter numbers) to the right of the equation. These numbers update as you add, delete or move equations, or change chapter numbering.

                        But if you make a new graphic with a macro, the macro continues into the graphic editor. Same with a text box and user box.

                        John R.