Re: Adding tildes to characters in Wordperfect

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
      WordPerfect for the Mac uses the MacRoman character set which does not include either of those characters. You can install linguists' fonts in "classic" Mac OS (including SheepShaver) that have those characters, but they will be very complex and difficult to use. Of course, those characters are available in WordPerfect for Windows, but that probably isn't what you want to use.

      The OS X version of PopChar will not insert those characters into WordPerfect, because those characters do not exist in the fonts that WordPerfect uses.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Michael Luskin <michael.benjamin.luskin@...> wrote:

      > My son has written his thesis on the work of an African writer, Ngugi wa Thiong'o. He did it in WORD and then transformed it into PDF, but he would like to have it in Wordperfect. The problem is, a number of characters are seemingly not possible to do in Wordperfect, though he somehow did them in WORD. So how can he create a "u" with a tilde (~) above it? And how can he create an "i" with a tilde (~) above that? We have popchar, but it does not include those combinations.
      >
      > We have tried copying it from WORD, and from gmail, but it shows up as a graphic in Wordperfect.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Michael B. Luskin

    • darylngee
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
        I don't know PopChat, but here's a WP possibility: Within my copy of WP, there are many fonts, including the WP International Fonts. Go through them and see if you can find a font named,"WP xxxxxxxxxxxx." There are WP Greek, WP Cyrillic, WP Courier.... If you are successful, you can do all this in WP for Mac without other software or going to MS Word or even trying the Finder's / Edit / Special Characters.

        On the other hand, if you have to copy from MS Word to WP MAC, I've found that the most successful way to first copy the Word text, then go to WP, go to Edit / Paste Special / and choose Paste Text Only; otherwise you get a text box or gobbledegook (a mess).

        If you are not able to find something, perhaps there's someone who uses that written language who as a WP language module that works. I'd like to know what you find, since there are lots of languages out there that use, sort of, Roman alphabets, including some Native American languages.

        Let us know what works.

        Daryl Chinn

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bossart <whbossart@...> wrote:

        > PopChat 6.1 has both. Just search in popchar for tilde.
        >
        > Bill Bossart
        > whbossart@...
        >
        > On MonDec 11, 09, at 1:57 PM, Michael Luskin wrote:
        >
        > > My son has written his thesis on the work of an African writer, Ngugi wa Thiong'o. He did it in WORD and then transformed it into PDF, but he would like to have it in Wordperfect. The problem is, a number of characters are seemingly not possible to do in Wordperfect, though he somehow did them in WORD. So how can he create a "u" with a tilde (~) above it? And how can he create an "i" with a tilde (~) above that? We have popchar, but it does not include those combinations.
        > >
        > > We have tried copying it from WORD, and from gmail, but it shows up as a graphic in Wordperfect.
        > >
        > > Thank you.
        > >
        > > Michael B. Luskin

      • Doug Auwarter
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
          I don't know what the problem is. I've been doing this in WP in
          Classic for years and I just checked on my Macbook Pro with the
          MacApp in Sheepshaver and it works beautifully. (I often write in
          Portuguese.)
          Here's the how-to:
          for a tilde, type option-n and then whatever letter you want, like �,
          �, etc.
          for a circumflect, type option-i and then the letter - �, �, etc.
          for and accent, type option-e and then the letter for �, �, �, �, �.
          for a grave accent, type option-grave accent in the upper left part
          of the keyboard and then the letter giving you �.
          for a cedilha, simply type option-c and you get �.
          Maybe you can even copy and paste from this message.
          Best,
          Doug

          On Dec 11, 2012, at 6:19 PM, darylngee wrote:

          > I don't know PopChat, but here's a WP possibility: Within my copy
          > of WP, there are many fonts, including the WP International Fonts.
          > Go through them and see if you can find a font named,"WP
          > xxxxxxxxxxxx." There are WP Greek, WP Cyrillic, WP Courier.... If
          > you are successful, you can do all this in WP for Mac without other
          > software or going to MS Word or even trying the Finder's / Edit /
          > Special Characters.
          >
          > On the other hand, if you have to copy from MS Word to WP MAC, I've
          > found that the most successful way to first copy the Word text,
          > then go to WP, go to Edit / Paste Special / and choose Paste Text
          > Only; otherwise you get a text box or gobbledegook (a mess).
          >
          > If you are not able to find something, perhaps there's someone who
          > uses that written language who as a WP language module that works.
          > I'd like to know what you find, since there are lots of languages
          > out there that use, sort of, Roman alphabets, including some Native
          > American languages.
          >
          > Let us know what works.
          >
          > Daryl Chinn
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bossart <whbossart@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > PopChat 6.1 has both. Just search in popchar for tilde.
          > >
          > > Bill Bossart
          > > whbossart@...
          > >
          > > On MonDec 11, 09, at 1:57 PM, Michael Luskin wrote:
          > >
          > > > My son has written his thesis on the work of an African writer,
          > Ngugi wa Thiong'o. He did it in WORD and then transformed it into
          > PDF, but he would like to have it in Wordperfect. The problem is, a
          > number of characters are seemingly not possible to do in
          > Wordperfect, though he somehow did them in WORD. So how can he
          > create a "u" with a tilde (~) above it? And how can he create an
          > "i" with a tilde (~) above that? We have popchar, but it does not
          > include those combinations.
          > > >
          > > > We have tried copying it from WORD, and from gmail, but it
          > shows up as a graphic in Wordperfect.
          > > >
          > > > Thank you.
          > > >
          > > > Michael B. Luskin

        • Doug Auwarter
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
            By the way, this isn't really a WP thing - it's a Mac thing. These
            keystrokes work on any program on a Mac, just like in my previous e-
            mail message.
            Doug

          • darylngee
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
              This solution the Doug Auwarter suggests won't yield a u with a tilde above it on my Sheepsaver -- WP system /Macbook Air. The other accents he suggests seem to work as he says, however.

              Daryl

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

              > I don't know what the problem is. I've been doing this in WP in
              > Classic for years and I just checked on my Macbook Pro with the
              > MacApp in Sheepshaver and it works beautifully. (I often write in
              > Portuguese.)
              > Here's the how-to:
              > for a tilde, type option-n and then whatever letter you want, like ñ,
              > ã, etc.
              > for a circumflect, type option-i and then the letter - ô, î, etc.
              > for and accent, type option-e and then the letter for á, é, í, ó, ú.
              > for a grave accent, type option-grave accent in the upper left part
              > of the keyboard and then the letter giving you à.
              > for a cedilha, simply type option-c and you get ç.
              > Maybe you can even copy and paste from this message.
              > Best,
              > Doug
              >
              > On Dec 11, 2012, at 6:19 PM, darylngee wrote:
              >
              > > I don't know PopChat, but here's a WP possibility: Within my copy
              > > of WP, there are many fonts, including the WP International Fonts.
              > > Go through them and see if you can find a font named,"WP
              > > xxxxxxxxxxxx." There are WP Greek, WP Cyrillic, WP Courier.... If
              > > you are successful, you can do all this in WP for Mac without other
              > > software or going to MS Word or even trying the Finder's / Edit /
              > > Special Characters.
              > >
              > > On the other hand, if you have to copy from MS Word to WP MAC, I've
              > > found that the most successful way to first copy the Word text,
              > > then go to WP, go to Edit / Paste Special / and choose Paste Text
              > > Only; otherwise you get a text box or gobbledegook (a mess).
              > >
              > > If you are not able to find something, perhaps there's someone who
              > > uses that written language who as a WP language module that works.
              > > I'd like to know what you find, since there are lots of languages
              > > out there that use, sort of, Roman alphabets, including some Native
              > > American languages.
              > >
              > > Let us know what works.
              > >
              > > Daryl Chinn
              > >
              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bossart <whbossart@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > PopChat 6.1 has both. Just search in popchar for tilde.
              > > >
              > > > Bill Bossart
              > > > whbossart@

              > > Ngugi wa Thiong'o. He did it in WORD and then transformed it into
              > > PDF, but he would like to have it in Wordperfect. The problem is, a
              > > number of characters are seemingly not possible to do in
              > > Wordperfect, though he somehow did them in WORD. So how can he
              > > create a "u" with a tilde (~) above it? And how can he create an
              > > "i" with a tilde (~) above that? We have popchar, but it does not
              > > include those combinations.

              > > shows up as a graphic in Wordperfect.

            • Doug Auwarter
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                I left out the umlaut. It's option-u and then the letter. � or �, etc.
                Doug

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                  Doug,

                  I think we've lost track of the what the original poster was asking for.

                  The original poster's request was for a way to type the u-TILDE and i-TILDE. These are absolutely, positively NOT available in Mac OS by typing option-n followed by the letter. Please try it and see. Option-n and "n" or "o" does produce n-tilde and o-tilde, but it does NOT work with "i" or "u". Many of us, I think, know about option-u and then the letter, but what this thread is trying to solve is how to get a tilde over i or u.

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

                  > I left out the umlaut. It's option-u and then the letter. ü or ï, etc.
                  > Doug
                  > On Dec 11, 2012, at 5:40 PM, John R wrote:
                  >
                  > > This solution is lower to the ground than other suggestions but
                  > > seems to work.
                  > >
                  > > I first type option-N: this keystroke will place the tilde
                  > > diacritical over some letters, such as n, if that's typed next.
                  > > Doesn't work for u, though: when I type a u, the tilde appears
                  > > above and to the left of the u.
                  > >
                  > > I then go to the kerning buttons on the Layout Bar, and click the
                  > > Kern Left button about 30 times, depending on font. This moves the
                  > > u underneath the tilde.
                  > >
                  > > A macro could automate that.
                  > >
                  > > John R.

                • Paul Cowan
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                    On 11 Dec. 2012, at 20:18, Doug Auwarter wrote:

                    > for a tilde, type option-n and then whatever letter you want, like ñ, ã, etc.

                    The etc. means: õ. Indeed, as you can see in Key Caps, the ˜ dead key applies only when you next type a, n or o. or the corresponding capitals. Not a problem for Portuguese, but what the OP wanted was ĩ and ũ, and that *is* a problem.

                    It was possible to edit the dead-key maps in ResEdit, but the characters would still appear only if they existed in the font.

                    cheers,

                    P. (^_^)

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                      Yes! This is the best available solution to the problem. It isn't perfect, but it works.

                      Here is how to implement it:

                      In SheepShaver-WP (John's system). Shut down WP. In the System Folder, find the folder named Fonts (disabled). Drag the WP IBM Character Sets font suitcase into the Fonts folder. Start up WP, select the WP Multinational A Roman font, use Insert -> Symbols and insert the u-tilde character.

                      In the WPMacApp. Shut down WP. Go to the WordPerfect Files & Add-Ons folder. Find the folder named WP Character Sets. Drag the WP IBM Character Sets font suitcase into the system folder and let it be copied into the Fonts folder. Start up WP, and proceed as above.

                      The WP Multinational A Roman font resembles (more or less) the Times font, so the Times font should probably be used for the rest of the text.

                      To automate inserting the u-tilde, create this macro:

                      Font Name ("WP MultinationalA Roman")
                      Type (È)
                      Font Name ("Times")

                      You can assign a keystroke to it in the Macro->Edit dialog.

                      John can probably refine this macro so that it runs only when editing, but this is the basic idea.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                        You're so right and I'm sorry to have jumped the gun here. John seems
                        to have come up with a solution and I hope it works. There are
                        several fonts available - like this one: http://www.kasahorow.org/ims/
                        mac
                        but you have to be working in OSX 10.3 at the earliest to make them
                        work.
                        There are many other character sets available on any Mac by clicking
                        on the American flag at the top mid-right of the screen and choosing
                        "Open International," but they're largely Oriental, Middle East,
                        Russion, and Eastern European - nothing that I saw from the various
                        African languages.
                        Doug

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
                          The WP IBM Character Sets font suitcase is also available in the Files section here, as Character Sets.sit.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
                            And it might be worth pointing out that WordPerfect for the Mac is not the best place to create this document, because the u-tilde and i-tilde characters cannot be correctly exported to anything else. They will LOOK right in PDF out or printed output, but when any other software copies the text from a PDF or anything else, the u-tilde and i-tilde characters will be replaced with something else. It's a guaranteed recipe for trouble down the road. (WordPerfect for Windows, at least in its recent unicode-aware versions, would be fine.)

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
                              Sorry: that should say: "They will LOOK right in PDF output or printed output..."

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
                                Not sure what you mean by refine to run only when editing. Your macro is an ideal way to enter special characters easily. The OP needed two of them, so two macros (maybe assigned mnemonic keystrokes, e.g. control-U) would work well.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 12, 2012
                                  In other versions of WP, it's easy to write a macro so that it says the equivalent of this:

                                  If the keyboard focus is in an editing window then
                                  Change the font and type a character, then change the font again
                                  Else
                                  Do nothing
                                  EndIf

                                  That way, if you assign a special-character macro to Ctrl-U (for example), and the keyboard focus is in the Print or Save menu, nothing will happen if you press Ctrl-U by mistake. Ctrl-U will only do something when you're typing text in a document.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
                                    I meant to ask if there is a way to do this in WPMac. I don't see a read-only variable that would say whether or not the keyboard focus is in the editing window, but perhaps I didn't look in the right place.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
                                      I don't know of one. You can get number of windows, whether the front window is a new document, or modified since being saved, or coordinates of the insertion point. But the only equivalent I can see for a focus on the editing window is whether or not a menu is active. Macros don't function when dialog boxes are open, so that info is not available.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 17, 2012
                                        Ah! I didn't know that! That means there's no need to set up a macro NOT to work in a dialog box! Apologies for wasting bandwidth on this one...

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 18, 2012
                                          Interaction between macros and dialogs can be useful. There are a number of macro commands, e.g. Get Text, Get Number, Confirm, that feed info to your macro. With others, you can detect the user's choice and act accordingly, e.g.

                                          New Document
                                          ; some commands
                                          Save As Dialog
                                          If (NewDocumentFlag)
                                          ; if flag is true, the user must have canceled out of the dialog
                                          ; else macro can branch depending on contents of DocumentName
                                          End If

                                          My Equation Manager makes use of the feature that if you make a new equation with a macro, the macro pauses as long as the new box is open. When you close the box, the macro resumes.

                                          So the equation macro makes a table with non-printing borders, and opens the equation editor. When you're finished entering the equation and close the editor, the macro continues and puts the automatic equation number (and automatic chapter number, if you have set chapter numbers) to the right of the equation. These numbers update as you add, delete or move equations, or change chapter numbering.

                                          But if you make a new graphic with a macro, the macro continues into the graphic editor. Same with a text box and user box.

                                          John R.