Re: Managing legal captions with WordPerfect when switching to a Mac

  • sardisson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@...> wrote:

      > I've also tried using LibreOffice on the Mac, with much success. It actually does a very good job of handling .wpd files on OS X, but again, whenever I run into documents that use the caption box, LO does something very funny. Rather than erasing the caption box, as Word does, it treats the box as a floating element over the text, with the end result that the box has to be "pulled back" from the text in order to read it.

      [...]

      > I've heard that NeoOffice is another approach, although it isn't free. How well does NeoOffice for Mac handle caption formatting for .wpd files? If it works well, I may just purchase that app, and use that to make the conversion.

      Just for the record, as Edward Mendelson alluded to in one of his responses, the LibreOffice/NeoOffice/Apache OpenOffice trio all use the same library for their WordPerfect conversion, libwpd (http://libwpd.sf.net). So if it doesn't work properly in LibreOffice, it's unlikely to work in NeoOffice, either. (It's not clear to me whether this would be a bug in libwpd's document conversion itself, or in the document display in LO; I've seen both before, though typically issues have been edge cases in libwpd's conversion ability.)

      If you can provide a sample document using this caption box feature (just that feature would be best) as well as a PDF of what it is supposed to look like in WPWin, I'm sure Edward or I would be happy to take it to the libwpd folks (we've both worked with the libwpd folks before). It's unlikely to be fixed right away, so it wouldn't help you, but it would help improve libwpd for the future.

      In any case, best wishes on the conversion; I hope one of Edward's other suggestions works for you!

      Smokey
    • mnplyches
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
        Thanks all for the helpful replies!

        OK, I'll check out the MacLaw group, as it does seem that my questions would be more relevant with them.

        When I say a caption, what I mean is a block of text surrounded by a box, not a caption as in a picture with a footer below it. A great example would be to check out the legal forms at this court website, using divorce forms as an example: http://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=68
        Open one up in your web browser or download it and open it in Word. When you see the header at the top with the text in the box, that's the caption.

        Sadly, I don't know how to upload pictures here, otherwise I would take screenshots of the different documents we have - and how they are rendered - in Word and WP.
      • mnplyches
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
          Thank you Smokey, that's a great idea! Do you have any idea how I would upload the documents so you can review them?
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
            So, if I understand you correctly, what you are referring to is NOT what WordPerfect's menus and dialogs call a "caption," but what WordPerfect calls a "Text Box." These are completely different things, and no one can answer your question correctly unless we know exactly which one you are referring to. Could you kindly create such a box in WordPerfect, and record exactly which menus and options you used?

            The answer I posted a couple of days ago was based on the assumption that when you wrote "caption" you meant what WordPerfect's menus and dialogs call a "caption." But if you actually meant what WordPerfect's menus and dialogs call a "Text Box," then there may be a different answer.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2012
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@...> wrote:

              > Thank you Smokey, that's a great idea! Do you have any idea how I would upload the documents so you can review them?

              Oops, I thought I replied to this yesterday, but I guess not :-(

              I'm not sure the mechanics of, say, this group's "Files" section (I think posting is restricted to moderators only), so if you don't already have any convenient spot for uploading (e.g., Dropbox), you could just send the sample+pdf to me via direct email.

              Smokey