Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Managing legal captions with WordPerfect when switching to a Mac

Expand Messages
  • em315
    It isn t entirely clear what you mean by a caption. Do you mean: (1) a text box with text inside it, or, (2) a text box that has a caption BELOW it. The second
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      It isn't entirely clear what you mean by a caption. Do you mean:

      (1) a text box with text inside it, or,

      (2) a text box that has a caption BELOW it.

      The second is what WordPerfect means by a caption, but I'm not sure if that's what you mean, because you say that the box has a caption "contained inside a box". If you could create a sample file and post it somewhere, that might be helpful in trying to solve this problem.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hey all,
      >
      > This is my first post in this group, and I'd like to begin by saying thank you for letting me join! :)
      >
      > I have a very specific problem that I'm hoping you fine folks here could set straight.
      >
      > Actually, I should back up a bit. Most of the conversion won't be an issue, as the formatting and footnotes should remain the same. However, for several legal documents, such as summons, complaints, etc., the document contains a caption, which is a block of header text at the top of every document, contained inside a box.
    • em315
      Further thoughts: if you mean (2) in the choices below, then the only way to convert these files successfully to Word on a Mac is to set up WordPerfect for
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        Further thoughts: if you mean (2) in the choices below, then the only way to convert these files successfully to Word on a Mac is to set up WordPerfect for Windows in a VMware Fusion (or Parallels Desktop) "virtual Windows machine," open the files in WPWin and save them from there in Word format. This works perfectly using WPWin X6; it probably works with earlier versions as well.

        You may get advised to use Codeweavers Crossover to set up WPWin in OS X. It's possible to do but complicated, and I don't know whether the file conversion will work. You would need to experiment.

        None of the Mac-based converter programs that I know about can successfully export WP files with text boxes with captions. WordPerfect for the Mac crashes when trying to open such a file.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:
        >
        > It isn't entirely clear what you mean by a caption. Do you mean:
        >
        > (1) a text box with text inside it, or,
        >
        > (2) a text box that has a caption BELOW it.
        >
        > The second is what WordPerfect means by a caption, but I'm not sure if that's what you mean, because you say that the box has a caption "contained inside a box". If you could create a sample file and post it somewhere, that might be helpful in trying to solve this problem.
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey all,
        > >
        > > This is my first post in this group, and I'd like to begin by saying thank you for letting me join! :)
        > >
        > > I have a very specific problem that I'm hoping you fine folks here could set straight.
        > >
        > > Actually, I should back up a bit. Most of the conversion won't be an issue, as the formatting and footnotes should remain the same. However, for several legal documents, such as summons, complaints, etc., the document contains a caption, which is a block of header text at the top of every document, contained inside a box.
        >
      • sardisson
        ... [...] ... Just for the record, as Edward Mendelson alluded to in one of his responses, the LibreOffice/NeoOffice/Apache OpenOffice trio all use the same
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@...> wrote:

          > I've also tried using LibreOffice on the Mac, with much success. It actually does a very good job of handling .wpd files on OS X, but again, whenever I run into documents that use the caption box, LO does something very funny. Rather than erasing the caption box, as Word does, it treats the box as a floating element over the text, with the end result that the box has to be "pulled back" from the text in order to read it.

          [...]

          > I've heard that NeoOffice is another approach, although it isn't free. How well does NeoOffice for Mac handle caption formatting for .wpd files? If it works well, I may just purchase that app, and use that to make the conversion.

          Just for the record, as Edward Mendelson alluded to in one of his responses, the LibreOffice/NeoOffice/Apache OpenOffice trio all use the same library for their WordPerfect conversion, libwpd (http://libwpd.sf.net). So if it doesn't work properly in LibreOffice, it's unlikely to work in NeoOffice, either. (It's not clear to me whether this would be a bug in libwpd's document conversion itself, or in the document display in LO; I've seen both before, though typically issues have been edge cases in libwpd's conversion ability.)

          If you can provide a sample document using this caption box feature (just that feature would be best) as well as a PDF of what it is supposed to look like in WPWin, I'm sure Edward or I would be happy to take it to the libwpd folks (we've both worked with the libwpd folks before). It's unlikely to be fixed right away, so it wouldn't help you, but it would help improve libwpd for the future.

          In any case, best wishes on the conversion; I hope one of Edward's other suggestions works for you!

          Smokey
        • mnplyches
          Thanks all for the helpful replies! OK, I ll check out the MacLaw group, as it does seem that my questions would be more relevant with them. When I say a
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks all for the helpful replies!

            OK, I'll check out the MacLaw group, as it does seem that my questions would be more relevant with them.

            When I say a caption, what I mean is a block of text surrounded by a box, not a caption as in a picture with a footer below it. A great example would be to check out the legal forms at this court website, using divorce forms as an example: http://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=68
            Open one up in your web browser or download it and open it in Word. When you see the header at the top with the text in the box, that's the caption.

            Sadly, I don't know how to upload pictures here, otherwise I would take screenshots of the different documents we have - and how they are rendered - in Word and WP.
          • mnplyches
            Thank you Smokey, that s a great idea! Do you have any idea how I would upload the documents so you can review them?
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Thank you Smokey, that's a great idea! Do you have any idea how I would upload the documents so you can review them?
            • em315
              So, if I understand you correctly, what you are referring to is NOT what WordPerfect s menus and dialogs call a caption, but what WordPerfect calls a Text
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                So, if I understand you correctly, what you are referring to is NOT what WordPerfect's menus and dialogs call a "caption," but what WordPerfect calls a "Text Box." These are completely different things, and no one can answer your question correctly unless we know exactly which one you are referring to. Could you kindly create such a box in WordPerfect, and record exactly which menus and options you used?

                The answer I posted a couple of days ago was based on the assumption that when you wrote "caption" you meant what WordPerfect's menus and dialogs call a "caption." But if you actually meant what WordPerfect's menus and dialogs call a "Text Box," then there may be a different answer.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@...> wrote:
                >
                > Thanks all for the helpful replies!
                >
                > OK, I'll check out the MacLaw group, as it does seem that my questions would be more relevant with them.
                >
                > When I say a caption, what I mean is a block of text surrounded by a box, not a caption as in a picture with a footer below it. A great example would be to check out the legal forms at this court website, using divorce forms as an example: http://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=68
                > Open one up in your web browser or download it and open it in Word. When you see the header at the top with the text in the box, that's the caption.
                >
                > Sadly, I don't know how to upload pictures here, otherwise I would take screenshots of the different documents we have - and how they are rendered - in Word and WP.
                >
              • sardisson
                ... Oops, I thought I replied to this yesterday, but I guess not :-( I m not sure the mechanics of, say, this group s Files section (I think posting is
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mnplyches" <diostarcraft@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Thank you Smokey, that's a great idea! Do you have any idea how I would upload the documents so you can review them?

                  Oops, I thought I replied to this yesterday, but I guess not :-(

                  I'm not sure the mechanics of, say, this group's "Files" section (I think posting is restricted to moderators only), so if you don't already have any convenient spot for uploading (e.g., Dropbox), you could just send the sample+pdf to me via direct email.

                  Smokey
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.