Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.4.2

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
      Dear Ed
      My apologies. I had completely forgotten that folder existed. I have not
      had a chance to check it out since it means rebooting the old computer
      and transferring.
      He may know what he is talking about, but he could sure do with learning
      some humility!
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      Head of the School of Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
        Geoff,

        Oh, I think he should be very proud of his knowledge. I didn't know the answer to the question until I read it in message 7222. I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without his expertise.

        If you're in touch with him, please tell him I said so. Meanwhile, in the Finder, look for a files named "English" and see if you've got an English (GBR) anywhere.

        - Edward

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
          The language modules, e.g. "English (GBR)", are included in SS-WP 1.4.2, in the WordPerfect > Language folder. The 18 dictionaries/thesauri are also included; unfortunately, I put those in WordPerfect > Archive > Language files folder. I'll move them.

          Users have suggested I add a browser, e.g. iCab, to read html instruction files like those that come with Prefab Player, and install my Free Backup program to back up files from WordPerfect > Documents (WP's default documents folder) to a folder on the Unix disk. My thanks for these suggestions (please post to the list, though, so that others can comment).

          So . . . forthcoming.

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
            Dear All

            With much appreciation to Ed for persisting with the arrogant old fool
            (how right were REM when they penned the track, "Sad Professor"), I now
            have WPMac working as if it had been brought up on cricket with tea and
            cucumber sandwiches. Weird things along the way include trying to copy
            the Language file from Applications Folder in the root directory of OSX
            (where I keep my Corel Wordperfect backup folder in the hope that one
            day an OSX version might reside there) to the Documents folder in my
            Home directory (the Unix Disk in Sheepshaver) only to get an alias every
            time. In the end, I had to highlight the Language folder and then Copy
            it via the Edit Menu and Paste it via that menu in the Documents folder
            - Mountain Lion treats me like a toddler trying to get into the cupboard
            with all the bleach. In the version I have, there are three subfolders
            of language files, A-F, G-N, O-Z.

            On the other thread running at the minute, if you want to use WPWin
            files in Word for Mac, you will have to convert from within WPWin to
            Word. It does a very good job, although whether it will manage captions
            I have no idea (it cannot do cross-referenced generated footnotes, for
            instance). I should admit, that I now work with WPWin in Parallels as
            well as WPMac in Sheepshaver. WPMac is better, but for conversion to MS
            Word, WPWin is much more seamless. Tragically, everyone I work with
            wants MS Word apart from the previous Editor-in-Chief who uses WPWin.

            In passing, in WPDos 5.1, it was possible to write a macro to convert
            generated numbers into text - i do not believe that is possible in WPMac.

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
              As much as I hate to wade into the middle of this one, I must point out that much misery would have been obviated by searching for e.g. "GBR" with an included utility named QuickFind. This lightning fast search tool has ten filters and six designated search areas, and supports regular expressions. It's easily the most significant program ever written for the Mac OS, and is a reason by itself, probably the best reason, to switch to Mac from PC, and switch to SheepShaver from OSX. It's included with my SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install, as the first item on the Script menu towards the right of the menu bar, and is also included with WPMacApp, except I've just now noticed that that installation doesn't work. The horror.

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                > In passing, in WPDos 5.1, it was possible to write a macro to convert
                > generated numbers into text - i do not believe that is possible in WPMac.

                WPMac has a Number to String command, e.g.:

                Assign (Var00;32767/16)
                Number To String (Var01;4;Var00)
                Alert (Var01)

                Where are you getting the number from?

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                  John
                  When working in an academic text, I use footnotes that cross-refer (eg.
                  supra n7). That cross reference is generated by using Targets and
                  Cross-References. I generate at the end and the "7" appears. Could a
                  macro find that - it's a "REF FOOTNOTE [Target Name]" in Reveal Codes.
                  Effectively, you want it to look for all the different cross-refs and
                  turn the generated number into a real number?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                    Horrors indeed! Yet another of the many examples of incompetence on the part of the compiler of that system.

                    Will try to fix it tonight, if I can put together my council of experts... (There are probably other things that need fixing too.)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                      The real horror is that this user of Macs since 1993 had not heard of it
                      until this round of emails!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                        Well, I've never been able to get QuickFind to launch from OSA Menu, but it works perfectly from the Apple Menu, so I've moved it there. At least the horrors are less horrifying now!