Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.4.2

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
      John
      Just did the fresh install, brought over all my work files via the new
      Unix disk and two system files (PrintToPDF and Dialog View). I also
      brought all of my Prefs files with the (GBR) suffix, bu WP keeps
      defaulting to the (USA) versions and if I delete them, it will not
      recognise the (GBR) versions as proper prefs files. How can I get WP to
      use my GBR version?
      Sorry for such a dim question, but I don't think I have done a fresh
      install since Sheepshaver first came out!
      Thanks
      Geoff
      PS. By the way, installs and loads like a dream. Not played with
      printing as yet.
      --
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
        Until John returns, you might want to look at message #7222 in this forum. A simple search for "GBR" in the forum interface found it in seconds.

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
          Ed
          Much as I admire the brilliant advice given by that guy Geoff Gilbert in
          message 7222, the problem is that in this version of Sheepshaver
          (1.4.2), deleting the (USA) preferences does not work because WP does
          not seem to want to work without the (USA) version - at the time of
          7222, WP would use (GBR).

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
            The author of message 7222 deserves more respect than you seem to be willing to give him. If you read his message closely, you'll see that he does NOT refer to the Preferences (USA) file in the System Folder. He refers instead to the English (USA) file in the WordPerfect folder. You need to delete that file and replace it with the English (GBR) file that you can find (probably) in a folder named Language Modules (at least that's where it is in the WPMacApp system).

            The author of that message really did know what he was talking about, and I hope we can hear more from him in the future.

            - Edward

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
              Dear Ed
              My apologies. I had completely forgotten that folder existed. I have not
              had a chance to check it out since it means rebooting the old computer
              and transferring.
              He may know what he is talking about, but he could sure do with learning
              some humility!

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                Geoff,

                Oh, I think he should be very proud of his knowledge. I didn't know the answer to the question until I read it in message 7222. I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without his expertise.

                If you're in touch with him, please tell him I said so. Meanwhile, in the Finder, look for a files named "English" and see if you've got an English (GBR) anywhere.

                - Edward

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                  The language modules, e.g. "English (GBR)", are included in SS-WP 1.4.2, in the WordPerfect > Language folder. The 18 dictionaries/thesauri are also included; unfortunately, I put those in WordPerfect > Archive > Language files folder. I'll move them.

                  Users have suggested I add a browser, e.g. iCab, to read html instruction files like those that come with Prefab Player, and install my Free Backup program to back up files from WordPerfect > Documents (WP's default documents folder) to a folder on the Unix disk. My thanks for these suggestions (please post to the list, though, so that others can comment).

                  So . . . forthcoming.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                    Dear All

                    With much appreciation to Ed for persisting with the arrogant old fool
                    (how right were REM when they penned the track, "Sad Professor"), I now
                    have WPMac working as if it had been brought up on cricket with tea and
                    cucumber sandwiches. Weird things along the way include trying to copy
                    the Language file from Applications Folder in the root directory of OSX
                    (where I keep my Corel Wordperfect backup folder in the hope that one
                    day an OSX version might reside there) to the Documents folder in my
                    Home directory (the Unix Disk in Sheepshaver) only to get an alias every
                    time. In the end, I had to highlight the Language folder and then Copy
                    it via the Edit Menu and Paste it via that menu in the Documents folder
                    - Mountain Lion treats me like a toddler trying to get into the cupboard
                    with all the bleach. In the version I have, there are three subfolders
                    of language files, A-F, G-N, O-Z.

                    On the other thread running at the minute, if you want to use WPWin
                    files in Word for Mac, you will have to convert from within WPWin to
                    Word. It does a very good job, although whether it will manage captions
                    I have no idea (it cannot do cross-referenced generated footnotes, for
                    instance). I should admit, that I now work with WPWin in Parallels as
                    well as WPMac in Sheepshaver. WPMac is better, but for conversion to MS
                    Word, WPWin is much more seamless. Tragically, everyone I work with
                    wants MS Word apart from the previous Editor-in-Chief who uses WPWin.

                    In passing, in WPDos 5.1, it was possible to write a macro to convert
                    generated numbers into text - i do not believe that is possible in WPMac.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                      As much as I hate to wade into the middle of this one, I must point out that much misery would have been obviated by searching for e.g. "GBR" with an included utility named QuickFind. This lightning fast search tool has ten filters and six designated search areas, and supports regular expressions. It's easily the most significant program ever written for the Mac OS, and is a reason by itself, probably the best reason, to switch to Mac from PC, and switch to SheepShaver from OSX. It's included with my SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install, as the first item on the Script menu towards the right of the menu bar, and is also included with WPMacApp, except I've just now noticed that that installation doesn't work. The horror.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                        > In passing, in WPDos 5.1, it was possible to write a macro to convert
                        > generated numbers into text - i do not believe that is possible in WPMac.

                        WPMac has a Number to String command, e.g.:

                        Assign (Var00;32767/16)
                        Number To String (Var01;4;Var00)
                        Alert (Var01)

                        Where are you getting the number from?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                          John
                          When working in an academic text, I use footnotes that cross-refer (eg.
                          supra n7). That cross reference is generated by using Targets and
                          Cross-References. I generate at the end and the "7" appears. Could a
                          macro find that - it's a "REF FOOTNOTE [Target Name]" in Reveal Codes.
                          Effectively, you want it to look for all the different cross-refs and
                          turn the generated number into a real number?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                            Horrors indeed! Yet another of the many examples of incompetence on the part of the compiler of that system.

                            Will try to fix it tonight, if I can put together my council of experts... (There are probably other things that need fixing too.)

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                              The real horror is that this user of Macs since 1993 had not heard of it
                              until this round of emails!

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                                Well, I've never been able to get QuickFind to launch from OSA Menu, but it works perfectly from the Apple Menu, so I've moved it there. At least the horrors are less horrifying now!