New machine, new start

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2012
      Dear All
      I am about to get a new Mac with Mountain Lion. If I want to do a fresh
      install of Sheepshaver, which is better, John's or Ed's version. I will
      be using it to write academic articles and will rarely print directly,
      although if that is seamless, I may change my mind.
      Thanks
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      Head of the School of Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

    • Chad Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2012
        I don't know if John or Ed will answer this one, since it may be a little awkward for them to do so. But personally, I just install whichever has been updated most recently whenever I have or feel the need to reinstall.

        There have been times I've had both installed on the same machine, and that didn't cause any problems that I saw. So you can always do that and then decide for yourself, since both are (THANK YOU!) free to download, install, and use.

        *- Chad W. Smith*
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2012
          I would probably go with John's, not mine, because John actually uses WPMac and I don't. I simply enjoy making my system work. So John's is probably more heavily tested for use in the real world.

          As for updating, by the way, I'm constantly making minor updates without announcing them. For example, I did some minor fixing last night. I update the version number in the application but I don't bother announcing these things here.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2012
            I would try them both, keeping in mind that each setup consists of two parts: the SheepShaver application configuration, printing etc., and the virtual "Unix" disk. You can mix and match these, although it's no great trouble to fine tune the virtual disk to your taste in any case. The only essential difference, I believe, is that mine runs on Tiger (OS 10.4) as well as later OS versions. Otherwise, Ed's has the advantage that no installation is needed -- it just runs -- and printing is at least as fast if not faster.