Re: [wpmac] How To Adjust Mac To 256 Colors When Running SheepShaver

  • J.J. McVeigh
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
      At 21:47 +0000 15.11.2012, britbloke wrote:

      >I installed SheepShaver, and it runs great. However, when I try and
      >launch 2 particular applications, i get the message :Sorry, but
      >"Application Name" will not run in more than 256 Colors".
      >
      >I am running 10.7.5
      >
      >Any idea how I get around this?
      >
      >Many thanks.

      Try selecting 256 colors via the Monitors Control Panel, under the
      Apple menu within the SheepShaver environment.

      --
      John Joseph McVeigh
      Butler, Maryland, USA
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
        Thanks for the response. "Monitors" does not show up in the Control Panel in Classic/SheepShaver.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
          In both WPMacApp and SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install, the Monitors and Sound control panel is present but disabled. Go to Control Panels > Extensions Manager, enable that control panel, and restart.

          I forget why I disabled it in my package, but suspect I was worried about a conflict with the separate Sound control panel, which SheepShaver needs. I don't see a conflict at this point, though. Anyone know a reason to have M & S disabled?

          For that matter, is there a reason not to run SS/WP in 256 colors in the first place? The screen would be faster.

          John R.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "britbloke" <julianswest@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the response. "Monitors" does not show up in the Control Panel in Classic/SheepShaver.

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@> wrote:
          > >
          > > At 21:47 +0000 15.11.2012, britbloke wrote:
          > >
          > > >I installed SheepShaver, and it runs great. However, when I try and
          > > >launch 2 particular applications, i get the message :Sorry, but
          > > >"Application Name" will not run in more than 256 Colors".
          > > >
          > > >I am running 10.7.5
          > > >
          > > >Any idea how I get around this?
          > > >
          > > >Many thanks.
          > >
          > > Try selecting 256 colors via the Monitors Control Panel, under the
          > > Apple menu within the SheepShaver environment.
          > >
          > > --
          > > John Joseph McVeigh
          > > Butler, Maryland, USA

        • J.J. McVeigh
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
            At 02:57 +0000 16.11.2012, britbloke wrote:

            >Thanks for the response. "Monitors" does not show up in the Control
            >Panel in Classic/SheepShaver.

            It does for me, and it appears to have some effect *within the
            SheepShaver environment.* I checked that before writing my message.

            What version of the Operating System are you using within the
            SheepShaver environment. I am using OS 9.0.4. I installed it from
            an OS 9 installation CD. As part of that installation, the Monitors
            Control panel was installed.

            --
            John Joseph McVeigh
            Butler, Maryland, USA
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
              There should be a "Monitors and Sound" Control Panel.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
                At 03:43 +0000 16.11.2012, John R wrote:

                >In both WPMacApp and SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install, the Monitors
                >and Sound control panel is present but disabled. Go to Control
                >Panels > Extensions Manager, enable that control panel, and restart.

                It is enabled for me, but that is because I performed separate
                SheepShaver and OS installations.

                >I forget why I disabled it in my package, but suspect I was worried
                >about a conflict with the separate Sound control panel, which
                >SheepShaver needs. I don't see a conflict at this point, though.
                >Anyone know a reason to have M & S disabled?

                I have detected no conflicts.

                >For that matter, is there a reason not to run SS/WP in 256 colors in
                >the first place? The screen would be faster.

                Agreed, the only reason not to do that I can foresee is if a
                particular program needs more than 256 colors. For the primary
                programs that I run under SheepShaver and OS 9.0.4 (WordPerfect,
                Timeslips, and Touchbase Pro), 256 colors should be fine. Just for
                laughs, I tried launching an old version of Photoshop that I have (v.
                5.0 LE), and it does in fact run. That program would probably want
                more than 256 colors.

                With best regards,
                --
                John Joseph McVeigh
                Butler, Maryland, USA
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
                  Nope. There is a "Sound" under Control Panel, but nowhere does it mention Monitors.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 15, 2012
                    Thank you so much John.

                    Works perfectly. My question is resolved.