[ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.4.2

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 12, 2012
      This update to a complete setup to run WordPerfect on Intel Macs and on OS 10.5 and later, including Mountain Lion (10.8), has about 100 improvements -- it's as clean as I could get it.

      If you're happy with the version you're using, there's no need to update, especially if you've kept up with recent fixes to e.g. OSX Lookup (looks up WP selection in OSX Dictionary or Nisus Thesaurus), Previous Positions (go to any page/line you set among all open documents), and UltraClip (text glossary).

      Adobe Acrobat Reader now works again, and WP's Help menu is fixed (by disabling WP Guide, getting rid of a bug somewhere -- WP Guide is still there and you can re-enable it using Extensions Manager. The menu disables WP's macro and grammar help menus, but you may not use those, or you can disable WP Guide again after going through a tutorial).

      There are also more templates, substantially greater documentation, and archives of most of the macro sets I've written. And updated Thanks to the original WP programming team.

      If you want to upgrade:

      If you keep files on the virtual disk, drag them into a folder on the Unix disk (not a bad idea anyway as backup). Delete the SheepShaver folder in the Applications folder in your Home folder, and run the installer.

      Free in the Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk folder here, as:

      SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.4.2

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
        John
        Just did the fresh install, brought over all my work files via the new
        Unix disk and two system files (PrintToPDF and Dialog View). I also
        brought all of my Prefs files with the (GBR) suffix, bu WP keeps
        defaulting to the (USA) versions and if I delete them, it will not
        recognise the (GBR) versions as proper prefs files. How can I get WP to
        use my GBR version?
        Sorry for such a dim question, but I don't think I have done a fresh
        install since Sheepshaver first came out!
        Thanks
        Geoff
        PS. By the way, installs and loads like a dream. Not played with
        printing as yet.
        --
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
          Until John returns, you might want to look at message #7222 in this forum. A simple search for "GBR" in the forum interface found it in seconds.

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
            Ed
            Much as I admire the brilliant advice given by that guy Geoff Gilbert in
            message 7222, the problem is that in this version of Sheepshaver
            (1.4.2), deleting the (USA) preferences does not work because WP does
            not seem to want to work without the (USA) version - at the time of
            7222, WP would use (GBR).

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
              The author of message 7222 deserves more respect than you seem to be willing to give him. If you read his message closely, you'll see that he does NOT refer to the Preferences (USA) file in the System Folder. He refers instead to the English (USA) file in the WordPerfect folder. You need to delete that file and replace it with the English (GBR) file that you can find (probably) in a folder named Language Modules (at least that's where it is in the WPMacApp system).

              The author of that message really did know what he was talking about, and I hope we can hear more from him in the future.

              - Edward

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 25, 2012
                Dear Ed
                My apologies. I had completely forgotten that folder existed. I have not
                had a chance to check it out since it means rebooting the old computer
                and transferring.
                He may know what he is talking about, but he could sure do with learning
                some humility!

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                  Geoff,

                  Oh, I think he should be very proud of his knowledge. I didn't know the answer to the question until I read it in message 7222. I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without his expertise.

                  If you're in touch with him, please tell him I said so. Meanwhile, in the Finder, look for a files named "English" and see if you've got an English (GBR) anywhere.

                  - Edward

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                    The language modules, e.g. "English (GBR)", are included in SS-WP 1.4.2, in the WordPerfect > Language folder. The 18 dictionaries/thesauri are also included; unfortunately, I put those in WordPerfect > Archive > Language files folder. I'll move them.

                    Users have suggested I add a browser, e.g. iCab, to read html instruction files like those that come with Prefab Player, and install my Free Backup program to back up files from WordPerfect > Documents (WP's default documents folder) to a folder on the Unix disk. My thanks for these suggestions (please post to the list, though, so that others can comment).

                    So . . . forthcoming.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                      Dear All

                      With much appreciation to Ed for persisting with the arrogant old fool
                      (how right were REM when they penned the track, "Sad Professor"), I now
                      have WPMac working as if it had been brought up on cricket with tea and
                      cucumber sandwiches. Weird things along the way include trying to copy
                      the Language file from Applications Folder in the root directory of OSX
                      (where I keep my Corel Wordperfect backup folder in the hope that one
                      day an OSX version might reside there) to the Documents folder in my
                      Home directory (the Unix Disk in Sheepshaver) only to get an alias every
                      time. In the end, I had to highlight the Language folder and then Copy
                      it via the Edit Menu and Paste it via that menu in the Documents folder
                      - Mountain Lion treats me like a toddler trying to get into the cupboard
                      with all the bleach. In the version I have, there are three subfolders
                      of language files, A-F, G-N, O-Z.

                      On the other thread running at the minute, if you want to use WPWin
                      files in Word for Mac, you will have to convert from within WPWin to
                      Word. It does a very good job, although whether it will manage captions
                      I have no idea (it cannot do cross-referenced generated footnotes, for
                      instance). I should admit, that I now work with WPWin in Parallels as
                      well as WPMac in Sheepshaver. WPMac is better, but for conversion to MS
                      Word, WPWin is much more seamless. Tragically, everyone I work with
                      wants MS Word apart from the previous Editor-in-Chief who uses WPWin.

                      In passing, in WPDos 5.1, it was possible to write a macro to convert
                      generated numbers into text - i do not believe that is possible in WPMac.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                        As much as I hate to wade into the middle of this one, I must point out that much misery would have been obviated by searching for e.g. "GBR" with an included utility named QuickFind. This lightning fast search tool has ten filters and six designated search areas, and supports regular expressions. It's easily the most significant program ever written for the Mac OS, and is a reason by itself, probably the best reason, to switch to Mac from PC, and switch to SheepShaver from OSX. It's included with my SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install, as the first item on the Script menu towards the right of the menu bar, and is also included with WPMacApp, except I've just now noticed that that installation doesn't work. The horror.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                          > In passing, in WPDos 5.1, it was possible to write a macro to convert
                          > generated numbers into text - i do not believe that is possible in WPMac.

                          WPMac has a Number to String command, e.g.:

                          Assign (Var00;32767/16)
                          Number To String (Var01;4;Var00)
                          Alert (Var01)

                          Where are you getting the number from?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                            John
                            When working in an academic text, I use footnotes that cross-refer (eg.
                            supra n7). That cross reference is generated by using Targets and
                            Cross-References. I generate at the end and the "7" appears. Could a
                            macro find that - it's a "REF FOOTNOTE [Target Name]" in Reveal Codes.
                            Effectively, you want it to look for all the different cross-refs and
                            turn the generated number into a real number?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                              Horrors indeed! Yet another of the many examples of incompetence on the part of the compiler of that system.

                              Will try to fix it tonight, if I can put together my council of experts... (There are probably other things that need fixing too.)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                                The real horror is that this user of Macs since 1993 had not heard of it
                                until this round of emails!

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 26, 2012
                                  Well, I've never been able to get QuickFind to launch from OSA Menu, but it works perfectly from the Apple Menu, so I've moved it there. At least the horrors are less horrifying now!