Re: Encrypted WPMac files

  • Ted Lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2012
      >Ignore my message about this if you received it a few moments ago. I
      >completely misinterpreted Ted Lee's message. He is absolutely right:
      >no one has reverse-engineered the WPMac password scheme. Apologies
      >for wasting bandwidth.

      Um, if LibreOffice, or the WP Viewer, can open a password-protected
      file, as you said, and the source code they use to do it is
      available, then someone *has* reverse-engineered the algorithm.
      Seeing as the algorithm seems to be pretty trivial, if you know it
      then it should be straightforward to write an algorithm to find the
      password for any given file. I wouldn't even be surprised if there
      isn't some fixed plain text (like file type) encrypted at the head of
      each file, which means it would be very easy to find the password.

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2012
        The characters in the password are scattered through the file; it's documented in many places on the web that you can easily find.

        The libwpd programmers have reverse-engineered the method for removing a known password from a file. As far as I know, they haven't attempted the more difficult task of figuring out what an unknown password actually is. You can't just extract it from the file.

        Programs exist for finding the password in a WPDOS5 file. They don't work on WPMac files.