  • Ted Lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2012
      At 7:19 AM +0000 10/13/12, wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >Only if you can remember the original password. There may be clever
      >software out there to beat the encryption, but I've never found it

      I am surprised no-one has written one. When the topic of encrypted
      WP files came up here several years ago I took a look at the
      encryption scheme by encrypting several simple files (e.g., all one
      letter, or repeated alphabets) with simple passwords (one letter,
      repeated letter, alphabetical string) and looking at the output it
      looked like it was a fairly simply encryption scheme. I was too lazy
      to work out the details, but it did look like it wouldn't be hard to
      reverse-engineer.

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
    • fostersusan13
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2012
        Thanks — is there stuff out there/past threads re erroneous messages about encryption, for files that weren't actually password-protected but mangled/morphed over the years due to new software, crashes, recoveries, etc., that somehow can be restored to their original states?
        _______