Re: [wpmac] Re: WPMacApp - garbled text

  • Gilbert, Geoff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
      Only if you can remember the original password. There may be clever software out there to beat the encryption, but I've never found it
      Geoff

      On 12 Oct 2012, at 18:31, "fostersusan13" <Anon88888@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for getting back to me so fast!
      >
      > I received a message about downloading the WP Converter. I did, and then received the message that it was an encrypted WordPerfect file.
      > Are these kinds of files unencryptable and if so, how?
      >
      > Continuing thanks â?"

    • fostersusan13
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
        Yikes — I'd probably need to spend the time and effort you mention to find a program that will open them — as I don't have a clue or need to password-protect individual files, I guess they're not actually encrypted.

        I placed the file on WP Viewer, and received the following message:

        "I was unable to convert to [name of file] for viewing.

        It may be one of the few WordPerfect file types that the libwpd conversion software cannot open.

        You should be able to convert it to RTF format with the WP Converter application. Would you like to download the WP Converter?"

        (Besides WP Converter, I also dabbled with WordPerfect Viewer and WPMacApp.)

        Continuing thanks,

        — Susan
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
          That message means that the WP Viewer doesn't recognize what kind of file it is. I say that it MAY be a WP file because I assume that the only files that people would drop on the program would be files that they know are WordPerfect files.

          You said (if I remember correctly) that you may have tried to open some of these files in Nisus Writer, so perhaps the best thing to do is download a current copy of Nisus Writer (search for "Nisus Writer" on Google) and see if it will open the files.